1x 2.5Gb WAN, 8x gigabit LAN ports, tri-band Wi-Fi, 1.8Ghz quad core CPU, 512MB flash, 1GB RAM. Price point of $800 per unit. Just make sure everything works this time before releasing it onto the market. Maybe since you're using FOSS/FLOSS you can add an app depot so users can add/remove the apps they want as well (i.e. adblock, antivirus, IPS, geo, cc, smart boost, etc.)

@Proud R3 Owner

800 usd for only 2.5 GB bro come on you need 10 G WAN look at asus and even then this is a niche no one's really buying an 800 usd router except a minority. I'd say you have to look at the market and look at price range realistically it around 300-400 usd for high end routers.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GT-AX11000-Triple-Level-Acceleration-Subscription-Free/dp/B0BQ41LDQ3

The only company that does that is asus and that's because they can afford to use the latest tech and there market is also gamery likish..

ย 

ย 

I mean the tp-link archer ax11000 has decent hardware, if you could throw dumaos on it and keep it around the same price point $300-$400 I'm sure a lot of people would eat it up! And yeah $800 is pretty steep but I'm trying to sell the idea here lol.

• Administrators

That would be nice but very expensive, we've always tried to be reasonably priced so more people can try the software. A product that expensive, we'd have to hit the minimum order quantity and there is no guarantee we'd even be able to sell something that expensive.

I think you underestimate the market for such a router. I'm not talking about sfp ports, just a good size (2.5Gb) WAN and more LAN ports for those who have more than 4 wired devices. Also the beefier hardware in CPU, flash and ram would make the dumaOS sing I know it. Gaming routers aren't a niche anymore. Those of us who are older grew up playing games and still do. Those who don't have kids who do. Also maybe the reason some shy away from the R3 could be because of a lack in these hardware features. Anyway, maybe make a few units, say 100, as maybe an upgrade like a R3 pro and if that sell fast it'll give you an idea of how much of a market there is for them. Yes I get it that Netgear and Asus and tp-link have a much bigger budget...BUT... Those pricey routers sell. If they didn't they wouldn't be on the market. Anyway maybe make a poll and ask your community how many would purchase a router with these specs and at whatever price point you think would be a fair profit. The results may surprise you and the rest of the team.

18 hours ago, Proud R3 Owner said:

1x 2.5Gb WAN, 8x gigabit LAN ports, tri-band Wi-Fi, 1.8Ghz quad core CPU, 512MB flash, 1GB RAM. Price point of $800 per unit. Just make sure everything works this time before releasing it onto the market. Maybe since you're using FOSS/FLOSS you can add an app depot so users can add/remove the apps they want as well (i.e. adblock, antivirus, IPS, geo, cc, smart boost, etc.)

I can go out and buy a x86 Mini PC with 2 10gig SFP ports and every copper port be 2.5gbp, 8Gigs of RAM and a Quad Core high frequency CPU with an SSD, hang a 10gig Cisco Switch off of it with a 40gig backplane and run opnsense doing the same thing for less than $800 lol. Maybe not geo-filter but there are forms of QOS that will stabilize your game ping consistently. Hell, even with the added on Access Point for Wi-Fi you could do it all for $3-400 max. I love their software but I have seen the open source market already being asked to tackle these features and add them in to their code. Technically, as long as they don't call it the same thing it is legal to do. It would be sick to see this software running on a x86 platform to really super charge their software.ย ย 

• Administrators

I get what you mean but we are a software company at heart, not hardware, it would take significant capital and would be disastrous for us if it failed. I'm not saying we'd never do something like that but right now I don't see it as a possibility to be honest BUT I will definitely bring it up to the team

What's the point, when 99% of people in the world do not yet have access to internet bandwidth greater than 1Gbps and DumaOS gives you everything turnkey for less than โ‚ฌ200?

Personally, I think that allowing users to port the OS (Duma) to their personal router with a paid license would be very interesting!

I imagine, like me that you try different open source OS on compatible routers? (Unfortunately, I have often had a bad experience, compared to the stock OS provided by the manufacturer).

But I like the idea!

2 hours ago, Fuzy said:

What's the point, when 99% of people in the world do not yet have access to internet bandwidth greater than 1Gbps and DumaOS gives you everything turnkey for less than โ‚ฌ200?

Personally, I think that allowing users to port the OS (Duma) to their personal router with a paid license would be very interesting!

I imagine, like me that you try different open source OS on compatible routers? (Unfortunately, I have often had a bad experience, compared to the stock OS provided by the manufacturer).

But I like the idea!

I would 110% pay for a license to test it on some of my x86 gear that I have been toying with lol. You could run it on a ZimaBoard or even one of the Qotom MiniPC's or your own x86 build. I really like opnsense atm due to their beefy packages and filtering and such. Plus the forums where all the coders and users hang out are super friendly and always looking to make things go fast haha.

For my part since I switched to Debian I have found my happiness I would never change Debian for anything else. Moreover I am in the process of adapting a web interface to Debian..what happiness

Honestly I've used pfSense (Open BSD),ddwrt, etc. I really enjoyed the GUI and appliances that duma has with the xr700. If they ported an x86 version to sell or rent licenses I might actually consider it. The reason I like the idea of a pre-built buff router is because I don't have the free time anymore to tinker like I used to. Sure I could go into my mx Linux distro and compile a version of openwrt for the xr700 but I just don't have it in me anymore. I'm old now and I just want something to open, set up, and walk away with no issues.ย 

I don't consider myself old but I'm still 42 years old with a family and a job. Certainly I devote myself less and less due to lack of time but as soon as I have the opportunity I continue to satisfy my thirst for knowledge.
Personally.

And that's ok. I'd just rather spend my free time with my family wether it be gaming, watching a movie, going out or just playing in the yard or going in the pool. I've personally just grown past the tinkering stage of my life and just would prefer something just work well with good appliances straight out of the box so I can go back to enjoying my family or if I'm at work they can at least enjoy fast stable Internet that prioritizes different activities over others. Nothing against your thirst for knowledge or desire to tinker with things to make them exactly what you want. I'd just rather have that in a convenient unit to just setup and leave it.

29 minutes ago, Proud R3 Owner said:

And that's ok. I'd just rather spend my free time with my family wether it be gaming, watching a movie, going out or just playing in the yard or going in the pool. I've personally just grown past the tinkering stage of my life and just would prefer something just work well with good appliances straight out of the box so I can go back to enjoying my family or if I'm at work they can at least enjoy fast stable Internet that prioritizes different activities over others. Nothing against your thirst for knowledge or desire to tinker with things to make them exactly what you want. I'd just rather have that in a convenient unit to just setup and leave it.

I understand you completely and it is not a criticism that I am making to you on the contrary the thread of the subject discussing on the different alternatives (pfsense, ddwrt, opnsense) I just gave my opinion on debian to have tested them all . And I started tinkering very late and it became a passion.

I'm not here to tell people what to do or not to do.

13 minutes ago, Kingzzy said:

I understand you completely and it is not a criticism that I am making to you on the contrary the thread of the subject discussing on the different alternatives (pfsense, ddwrt, opnsense) I just gave my opinion on debian to have tested them all . And I started tinkering very late and it became a passion.

I'm not here to tell people what to do or not to do.

No I know I didn't want you to think I was criticizing you either. And I'm 43 so I guess I shouldn't say I'm old (even though some days I feel it). ๐Ÿ˜†

8 minutes ago, Proud R3 Owner said:

No I know I didn't want you to think I was criticizing you either. And I'm 43 so I guess I shouldn't say I'm old (even though some days I feel it). ๐Ÿ˜†

we're not very young anymore neither๐Ÿ˜”