Nothing but issues recently

Firstly, let me start of by saying I love the R3 and it's features, now I'm not sure if it's because it's my first ever "gaming" router and all the features are new to me or the fact they are actually good.

However, I feel like they're not working properly at all. The last few days, I've had to reset the router every day to simply access the OS. The last few days I've had to reset the router 2-3 times a day before it feels like it restricts my internet speed to below 100 MBps, even though on average I get 500-550.

I've tried various things, including a full factory reset of the R3, re installing firmware ect and it hasn't stopped it from happening.

ย 

It's unfortunate that I've actually been looking at other gaming routers, because this doesn't seem to be living up to the hype, I bought the product to use features announced at launch and are still not here.

• Administrators

What do you mean it feels like it's restricting your internet? Is a speed test reflecting that behavior?ย 

We'll have a fix for the interface access issue, in the meantime, disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN and that should stop it happening as much.

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What do you mean it feels like it's restricting your internet? Is a speed test reflecting that behavior?ย 

We'll have a fix for the interface access issue, in the meantime, disable IPv6 in LAN/WAN and that should stop it happening as much.

Yes, the speed test is reflecting this behaviour, as well as download speeds and consistant buffering on multiple devices, which doesn't happen normally.

5001ea740be8db2a84f4ac3fb699e39b.png

ย 

These are just some of the most recent test results. Did the first test at 7:26 because I was buffering A LOT. Noticed speeds dropped, so I factory reset the R3 incase it was any changes I made. Another speed test, same issue, so I did a full network reset (Virgin Hub which is in modem mode, WiFi Mesh Extender downstairs), same issue. I then completely unplugged the R3, left it for around 1-2 minutes and plugged it back in and got my "normal" speeds.

ย 

This has been happening now pretty much every day without fail. At first, I put it down to weather, then I kept contacting Virgin Media to do line tests, all okay on their end and no "noise" coming through my cable.

• Administrators

What is the model of the modem/router the R3 is connected to and how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the R3? E.g. R3 in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode

Are ALL devices connected to the R3?

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is the model of the modem/router the R3 is connected to and how have you set that to ensure all traffic flows to the R3? E.g. R3 in its DMZ, modem/bridge mode

Are ALL devices connected to the R3?

It's the Virgin Hub 4, that is set into modem mode and nothing else has been done.

ย 

The R3 has just been set up out the box following some of the guides. Smart Ping on, Smart Boost on. I've tried using it with and without congestion control, 9/10 times the ping optimiser fails to load due to an error and asks me to go again.

I don't use the ADBlock feature.

All main devices (PC, PS5 and Downstairs TV are hard wired, everything else wireless).

56 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide a screenshot of the Dashboard and Ping Optimizer > Advanced please as well as the WAN page

Please note the WAN image is an attachment as I wanted to block out my IP address.

ย 

37a584ea46d709d4f15ffe4cc12daa56.png
0cbeb71a76881ffe84ee9099fafff56e.png05b0a9ef53a74120a9ea09444b6ce3bb.png21b6a2c8cbc00c679dc2135e51bab90a.png

d6d52f63b8f3c1b5374edd8e88b2ea89.png

• Administrators

That all looks okay, could you take the VM out of modem/bridge mode and put the R3 in its DMZ please? I've found the modem mode to be a bit unpredictable

17 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That all looks okay, could you take the VM out of modem/bridge mode and put the R3 in its DMZ please? I've found the modem mode to be a bit unpredictable

So, put the Virgin Hub 4 back into normal router mode and put the R3 into DMZ?

Do you have some instructions on how to do it?

• Administrators

Yes that's correct, copy the WAN IP from the WAN page on the R3, find the DMZ option on the V hub and paste it in and apply then check the speeds through the R3

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's correct, copy the WAN IP from the WAN page on the R3, find the DMZ option on the V hub and paste it in and apply then check the speeds through the R3

Will this mean that all devices connected to the R3 will have to hardwired?

Or will it mean I'll have to use the Hub 4 for WiFi and the R3 for ethernet or will they both work with each other regardless?

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

They'll both work regardless but always best to have ALL devices connected to the R3

Okay. I'll re set it up all shortly and give you an update.

If needed, can wifi devices be used on the Hub 4, as some devices struggle for signal in the house with the R3.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can do yes, just keep in mind QoS won't work as effectively in that scenario as it can't control the devices not connected to it

Once I've put the final 2 digits from the WAN page into the DMZ page and hit enable, is that it?

I can now go ahead, reconfigure my R3 as I've done a fresh factory reset on all internet equipment?

• Administrators

You can yes, if you factory reset though it's likely the IP you entered into the DMZ will change so either double check and re-enter if necessary or on the hub set the R3 to have that IP as static/reserved so it never changes

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can yes, if you factory reset though it's likely the IP you entered into the DMZ will change so either double check and re-enter if necessary or on the hub set the R3 to have that IP as static/reserved so it never changes

Yeah, I did all that before putting in the DMZ stuff, so I'm all set up and ready.

As stated in a PM, struggling with bufferfloat now. Ping optimiser tells me that 100% Down and 99% Up is perfect but buffer float tests still come back as A since the download spike underload hits around +8,12.

ย 

I've tried most settings. I've had to download throttle to 50% and still unable to get back to a A+.

57 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Start at 95% then test, decrease by 10%, test, etc until you get to a good value then try 5% either side of that value

Tried from 95%, down to 50%, still can't get back to that A+ mark.

eee0f47ded3fbd23bf12db5afe628cfc.png-

Best I've managed to get with 75% down, 99% up. Speed test bypass disabled.

ย 

Can't think of anything else to do.

ย 

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That might be the best you can get on that test, do the same but with this test while downloading to simulate a busy networkย https://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Do you know if disabling IPV6 anywhere on DumaOS or within my network adaptor itself will do anything?

Still having issues.

I'm constantly having the connection to my PC dropped. I've tried multiple different ethernet cables, I've tried another factory reset of the router and I've even reinstalled windows on my PC, yet these disconnects are consistent.

ย 

Starting to get overall annoyed.