XR700 with new ATT Fiber, use SFP+ connection?!

Just had ATT Fiber installed today. Currently I'm using their supplied combo router. Question is, is it possible to connect the new fiber line to my XR700 SFP+ port so I don't have to use the ATT unit at all?

The ATT tech and I tried hooking it up this way and I enabled the SFP port in the software, but we kept getting "make sure SFP port is connected" error.

• Administrators

The hardware and settings side of things are on the NG side so we'll not be able to provide great support on this aspect. I can say that the XR700 is just a router so it may not be possible. However, sometimes when connecting this way you'll have to enter PPPoE/VLAN details into the router for it to work. Double check the supplied router internet settings just in case.

Image result for two types of att fiber connections

Which is your connection like? Top image or bottom image. I want to say that it will only work if you have the top image setup.  

5 minutes ago, PharmDawgg said:

Which is your connection like? Top image or bottom image. I want to say that it will only work if you have the top image setup.  

It's the bottom image

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The hardware and settings side of things are on the NG side so we'll not be able to provide great support on this aspect. I can say that the XR700 is just a router so it may not be possible. However, sometimes when connecting this way you'll have to enter PPPoE/VLAN details into the router for it to work. Double check the supplied router internet settings just in case.

Thanks, I thought about posting on their forum but I already had an account here. This whole thing about fiber and SFP stuff is really out of my scope of knowledge.

• Administrators

If you check the supplied router you can try to mirror its internet settings onto the XR, in which case that may allow you to get a connection. Otherwise you may just need to keep the supplied router in the setup which isn't the end of the world - it won't really negatively impact you if you put it in modem mode or put the XR in its DMZ

Just an FYI. There is not modem mode or dmz. ATT refers to it as IP Passthrough which it isn't exactly the same.  And once you place your Netduma router behind the ATT modem/combo you will no longer be able to get IPv6.  If ATT had a true dmz or modem mode you would be able to get IPv6.  We can only hope that ATT one day will push out an update to their modem/router that allows you to get full functionality.  

8 minutes ago, PharmDawgg said:

Just an FYI. There is not modem mode or dmz. ATT refers to it as IP Passthrough which it isn't exactly the same.  And once you place your Netduma router behind the ATT modem/combo you will no longer be able to get IPv6.  If ATT had a true dmz or modem mode you would be able to get IPv6.  We can only hope that ATT one day will push out an update to their modem/router that allows you to get full functionality.  

What am I missing out on by not having IPv6? Sorry, network noob here

5 minutes ago, rc10mike said:

What am I missing out on by not having IPv6? Sorry, network noob here

That is a good question.  I'm not really sure.  I am in the same predicament that you are in.  I want the R3 and it's capabilities but I can not get it and Ipv6 with the ATT modem/router.   It is what it is. I haven't really seen a difference or missed anything but it problem depends on who you ask. 

In all reality your probably not missing out on much.. I think with both of you having fiber is a plus already.. 

Now the strange thing for me is im on a cable connection.. And I play on the Xbox.. For some reason in my case my gaming is far better with IPV6 enabled..  I know MS uses there Teredo and for some reason Teredo acts different when IPV6 is enabled in my case.. So its a must have for me.

Basically when Im using my Netgear router I get an Open NAT with everything locked down.. Meaning UPNP is disabled and also not using port forwarding..  Which if one thinks about it that would make sense because IPV6 doesnt use NAT.. So IPV6 basically Opens what it needs and the Xbox shows this in my case.. 

Hopefully in time both of you will be able to hook up a router and obtain IPV6 at some point using a different router.. Currently the way it sounds is you both dont have a feature where that gets passed on.. Which makes sense because I dont believe IPV6 will function cascading a router to another router..

Currently though my R2 nor my R3 works correctly with IPV6.. Neither of those two routers can achieve what my XR500 or ASUS can with IPV6.. But with that said Netduma knows they need to do more work on IPV6.. So they will get that sorted..

Congrats to both of you on getting fiber! Your very lucky!

How do you guys like it thus far?

Thanks!

Zippy.

@PharmDawgg

Do you guys have Vlan Ids that are in your modem router combo units?  I was sitting here thinking what would happen if you cloned the MAC address of your ATT modem/router and added that to the R3 then add your Vlan ids on the R3..  Would that give you access to IPV6 maybe?

Also when you say modem/router this is all one device correct?

Thanks!

Zippy.

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

@PharmDawgg

Do you guys have Vlan Ids that are in your modem router combo units?  I was sitting here thinking what would happen if you cloned the MAC address of your ATT modem/router and added that to the R3 then add your Vlan ids on the R3..  Would that give you access to IPV6 maybe?

Also when you say modem/router this is all one device correct?

Thanks!

Zippy.

This is the device BGW320-500 - No Vlan functionality that I can see.  It is a modem/router - all one unit with built in ONT.  The problem is the modem/router in on one network and the R3 is on a separate network.  The only real purpose of the ip passthrough is to prevent NAT issues.  

49 minutes ago, PharmDawgg said:

This is the device BGW320-500 - No Vlan functionality that I can see.  It is a modem/router - all one unit with built in ONT.  The problem is the modem/router in on one network and the R3 is on a separate network.  The only real purpose of the ip passthrough is to prevent NAT issues.  

Makes sense then.. Hopefully in the future they will give the option for like a full bridge mode so you can hook a different router up!

Thanks!

Zippy.