Fiber/Speed Test

Just curious has anyone done a speed test with a fiber service and the results hit max but gradually decreases during the test.  Thereby resulting in a final value that is nowhere near my max speeds.  If I use the app it says my modem router is getting full speeds.

ATT Fiber> ATT modem/router >IP Passthrough- All packet filtering turned off on modem/router > R3> All devices. 

All new ethernet cables. 

Do you want to talk about the R3 speed test?

It uses MLab which is mono-thread, compared to the Ookla app which is multi-thread, meaning it uses several servers to give you the best result for your line!

19 minutes ago, DARKNESS said:

What type of app are you using? If your using the ISP one they typically suck just a fun a fact 😂

PC apps like Ookla.

10 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

Do you want to talk about the R3 speed test?

It uses MLab which is mono-thread, compared to the Ookla app which is multi-thread, meaning it uses several servers to give you the best result for your line!

I'm not speaking of the R3 speedtest.  I know it is in process of being fixed/updated.  

I will try and post a vid when I get a sec.  For some reason I think it may be my ethernet card but I am not sure.  

Ok, I've already had this happen... have you tried on different servers?

It's sometimes the test server that messes up but checks your card drivers in fact, my Intel cards tend to give me contradictory result data on W11.

7 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

Ok, I've already had this happen... have you tried on different servers?

It's sometimes the test server that messes up but checks your card drivers in fact, my Intel cards tend to give me contradictory result data on W11.

I'll try that and see. Thanks.

I figured it out. In order to get the most accurate speediest results you have do it with an app that is downloaded to the device doing the test. 
I downloaded the desktop app and the speed test was 99% more accurate. To test from a web based app is not that accurate. For me it had a lot of inaccuracies. 

@PharmDawggWell web based applications aren't optimized for the device your using there just optimized to work with most devices and it never going to be perfect that why native apps are typically better as they take advantage of the hardware though this is always dependent on the company since some just make potato apps.

Browser-based speed tests consume a lot of CPU resources unlike the Ookla desktop app!
Depending on the CPU power of the PC used, your tests will not necessarily be revealing!
This is why it is recommended to use the app for speeds at Gbps or higher!

Since we are discussing speed tests was wondering if anyone can give me some insight 

Right now I have 4-10  ms ping with 70mbps …, 

I’m looking to upgrade this to 500-1GB internet 

Will this lower my ping even more ? 
will I feel the difference? 

isit possible to get 0 ping? 

do let me know speed kings

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Samin said:

Since we are discussing speed tests was wondering if anyone can give me some insight 

Right now I have 4-10  ms ping with 70mbps …, 

I’m looking to upgrade this to 500-1GB internet 

Will this lower my ping even more ? 
will I feel the difference? 

isit possible to get 0 ping? 

do let me know speed kings

Upgrading speeds doesn't necessarily lower your ping except in most cases where the technology used to serve you those speeds is upgraded then yes you may see a ping reduction.

It is not possible to get 0 ping - it's like being able to teleport to the other side of the world - impossible!