Steady Ping not stabilizing

DARKNESS

@Netduma FraserSo I've done a couple of test and it seems like majority of the time it works as intended however there are times were it doesn't stabilize the connection it just says stabilizing and it goes indefinitely just something I wanted to point out which am sure your already aware of.....I tested this on fortnite specifically and it works fine in creative however when you do a regular match like battle royale or zero build that when it doesn't stabilize.

This was from @Netduma Greg so please if you have any questions direct them to him.  Hope this help.  

By default none of the COD servers allow pinging directly, when pinging happens on the UI for them we are doing additional work to do that. It should not influence gameplay in any way (sorry @Netduma Fraser I have to correct you there).

The Stabilised state for Steady Ping is the only thing that directly influences the gameplay.

Some details on what Steady Ping does exactly and why is it working even when we can't ping:

Ping is always a request->response and we measure the time for this roundtrip. Steady Ping on the other hand just sitting on your router and processing the response part. Your game server sends these in perfectly uniform intervals (this interval is the tickrate), but when they reach you the intervals are not so uniform because of the internet. So what Steady Ping does that it applies an additional delay (this is what you see in the graph) so it has a window of time where it can make these responses arrive in order and in uniform intervals to your PC/Console, so in the game everything appears as smooth as the server intended. (Disclaimer: Ping and game traffic are different types of traffic in reality, but the mechanism is the same to process them)

This is the reason why even if we can't ping (we don't have the request side) everything still works, or even if the ping graph might have a spike you will not see this in game because it might've happened on the request side.

Also this is the reason in-game ping (graphs) are always more accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi,

One option is what @Netduma Fraser said, the other is a known issue before DumaOS versions 4.0.23 where the UI fails to load the data from the router.

If you are before that version you can always check if that happened by opening the browser console with F12 and see if there are any "Could not validate payload" errors showing up.

• 3 months later...

@Netduma FraserSo I find this a bit interesting as when I increase the ping artificially it not reflected on the delay on the stats that it's supposed to be showing it just stays at 8ms however it is applied in-game as shown on footage.

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, DARKNESS said:

@Netduma FraserSo I find this a bit interesting as when I increase the ping artificially it not reflected on the delay on the stats that it's supposed to be showing it just stays at 8ms however it is applied in-game as shown on footage.

0411.mov 14.16 MB · 0 downloads

Likely for stats for nerds to update it'd need to be a new connection/another server

• 3 weeks later...

@Netduma FraserI'd like to know why isn't this done from the device itself rather than pinging the server? It just seems like that would be the best way as it doesn't have to rely on being able to ping the server and just rely on the device which should work 100% percent of the time.

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, DARKNESS said:

@Netduma FraserI'd like to know why isn't this done from the device itself rather than pinging the server? It just seems like that would be the best way as it doesn't have to rely on being able to ping the server and just rely on the device which should work 100% percent of the time.

The issue would still remain in that scenario, you're still not able to properly ping a server from a device via traditional methods. Here is a couple of MW3 server IPs, try pinging them via your PC in command prompt, they will all timeout: