excessive jitter

smolina1212

Guest Netduma Luke

Constantly being put into a game, and then thrown out. My nat type is open everything else is ok, it just keeps putting me in a lobby and throwing me out. Anyone else?

Please upgrade to the latest version:

www.netduma.com/upgrade

You need to make sure your filter is not too small as you are joining a dedicated server outside of your range. This video will explain all:

I have the new version. The problem is once i play a couple games my download/up speeds completely crash. Ill start at 20 download and end at 5 after a couple games, at the same time it keeps throwing me out of good lobbies and then instantly putting me back in and over and over again. Could it have something to do with modem mode, i do have another router on the network but not connected to the netduma.

Guest Netduma Luke

I have the new version. The problem is once i play a couple games my download/up speeds completely crash. Ill start at 20 download and end at 5 after a couple games, at the same time it keeps throwing me out of good lobbies and then instantly putting me back in and over and over again. Could it have something to do with modem mode, i do have another router on the network but not connected to the netduma.

It could be, but I'm not sure. One of our tech guys will be on tomorrow to help. How are you setup? Is it:

Modem - R1 - Other router

?

excessive jitter means there is something wrong with the line between you and the first 2 hops normally.  

to prove this run

tracert 8.8.8.8

get the ip of the first 2 hops

open two command line interfaces

run

ping [the ip of hop1] -t

and

ping [the ip of hop2] -t

look for big ping jumps (big being inconsistency) 10ms is a lot in this world...then contact your ISP 

Guest Netduma Luke

I have no clue what that means, i dont think it's an isp problem its just the router.

I hope this does not sound blunt as it is hard to communicate tone when writing, but it is just as equally likely to be an XBL issue given Black Ops is facing a similar problem.

What is the distance you have been setting on your geo-filter? Have you been using the snap function?

Guest Netduma Luke

It expands your geo-filter to the next set of dedicated servers near your home. What is happening is the game is constantly putting you into a dedicated server which is outside of your filter range so please can you either:

1. Disable 'strict mode'; or

2. Use the snap function to expand your range

If you are setting your range below 500km and being booted then please expand this wider. A range of <1000km should still be great for your needs..

Guest Netduma Luke

I cannot find the strict mode box like you did in the video. Or the snap button. Where are they located?

This means you are not on the latest version. If you scroll to the bottom of any page on the interface, you will see a version number. If it ends in .2 then you are on an older version. You can upgrade to .6 here:

www.netduma.com/upgrade

Im still waiting on my duma to be delivered. So what im saying is w/o the duma. For the past month ive been keeping around a 2.8 kd on the weekly leaderboard for tdm with the exception of this week. This week i cant get above 1.68 and the connection feels worse. Dunno what it is. I did a tracert to my dns which is google. one router pinged over 600 once in a handful of test. Eventually it quit usuing that route. Once that that high ping went away, the game feels no different. Im still struggling. What im getting at is maybe this week is XBlives issue. Bad week for me.

Guest Netduma Luke

I dowloaded the new version and it seems to be working, but im still experiencing jitter 10/20 ms up/down in almost every game. Is this normal? The ping chart is constantly up and down.

I think that is most likely an XBL issue unfortunately. Are you seeing a significant impact on your game?

Could you open cmd (search for it  if you're not sure what it is) and type in:

tracert 8.8.8.8

One of the techy guys will be able to analyse this as you may have an issue with your ISP (which your ping graph is showing you for the first time)

Does anyone else see excessive huge jitter spikes in their ping graph?

Have been trying to play for about an hour and seeing the same thing.  Repeatedly kicked out of rooms even up to 500km away.  And the one game I did find close (140km) away, the ping bar jittered everywhere.  

However this is most likely due to the Xbox live service itself.  When Xbox live is actually working, which seems rare anymore; the Duma runs smooth with easy to find games and plays great.  When issues occur such as the ones today, the first place to check is xbox live status.  If they're having trouble, such as they are now in Social and Gaming, the games are garbage.  Also from what i've seen, it doesn't matter if they say the problem is on the 360, in my opinion it also affects the One whether that is mentioned or not. 

Have been trying to play for about an hour and seeing the same thing.  Repeatedly kicked out of rooms even up to 500km away.  And the one game I did find close (140km) away, the ping bar jittered everywhere.  

However this is most likely due to the Xbox live service itself.  When Xbox live is actually working, which seems rare anymore; the Duma runs smooth with easy to find games and plays great.  When issues occur such as the ones today, the first place to check is xbox live status.  If they're having trouble, such as they are now in Social and Gaming, the games are garbage.  Also from what i've seen, it doesn't matter if they say the problem is on the 360, in my opinion it also affects the One whether that is mentioned or not. 

This really sounds like an ISP issue, i've seen it multiple times before.

I see that you are running Mac OS X:

1. Launch Network Utility (Command + Space then type "Network Utility")

2. Click Traceroute

3. Enter 8.8.8.8

4. Click Trace

5. Select the results, and then right-click and select copy and paste them here.

Basically from here you will get all the hops from your local network to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) once you have these results I can give you the next steps.

This really sounds like an ISP issue, i've seen it multiple times before.

I see that you are running Mac OS X:

1. Launch Network Utility (Command + Space then type "Network Utility")

2. Click Traceroute

3. Enter 8.8.8.8

4. Click Trace

5. Select the results, and then right-click and select copy and paste them here.

Basically from here you will get all the hops from your local network to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) once you have these results I can give you the next steps.

I assumed my issue was xbox live today, but if you think it's something we can fix, i'm all for it :)  Here are the results

<editing post to pm the results>

Archived