Anti flood not quite working as intended

Hi blaikie, don't worry you have complete control over your connection using our congestion control. Your post is a bit ambiguous. Please let me know the following:

1. On Anti-Flood click "Set Bandwidth", please tell me what you put for upload and download
  2. Please tell me on the anti-flood page what you set the upload and download percentage to
  3. Please take a screenshot of the device prioritisation "flower", upload to imgur and link here (don't forget to click "update distribution" )

Finally when you notice the issue occurring please take a screenshot of the "Network Monitor" including the upload & download graph as well as the device icons at the top.

Thank-you

1. 9lYIOT0.png This is going by the above solution to set the upload speed a little higher than 0.3. My actual speed is 1.8 DL & 0.3 UL.

2. sPaSoQt.png

3. lgOeV04.png

Problem occurring:

1m5Ygxw.png

qSuLSEJ.png

AvAkZQm.png

In the above graphs there are 2 devices playing youtube videos, an iPhone and a hudl (android) tablet. I can see the monitor trying to stabilize the ping but it's a struggle. There is probably nothing that can be done considering my terrible bandwidth?

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an uneducated guess, I'd say you have 'share excess bandwidth' ticked.

Red line steady for CS:GO computer so other devices are still being allowed bandwidth despite device prioritisation being at 0%. Then when they max out connection your ping spikes? Iain will be along to tell us soon :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Blakie, 

Thanks for reporting all the info back. Don't worry we will resolve this!

Ok the most interesting thing here is that you are lagging BUT you are not saturating your connection. You can see its only about 40% in both directions. So according to the router you are not causing lag on yourself.  But first I must confirm that those ping rises were occurring at the same time as the bandwidth monitor graph readings, literally the same time(you have like a 5 second window).

If they are then it could be two things:

1. You don't have ALL devices connected to the R1. A simple way to check this is to make sure all wires are connected to the R1 and then disable wireless on the other router.
  2. If all devices are connected your ISP either has a local issue or is giving you less bandwidth then you're paying for.

Either way we can figure out a working solution. Please just confirm that all devices are connected to the R1 and when your ping rises the bandwidth monitor does not register bandwidth usage above 95%

Hi Blakie, 

Ok the most interesting thing here is that you are lagging BUT you are not saturating your connection. You can see its only about 40% in both directions. So according to the router you are not causing lag on yourself.  But first I must confirm that those ping rises were occurring at the same time as the bandwidth monitor graph readings, literally the same time(you have like a 5 second window).

If they are then it could be two things:

1. You don't have ALL devices connected to the R1. A simple way to check this is to make sure all wires are connected to the R1 and then disable wireless on the other router.
  2. If all devices are connected your ISP either has a local issue or is giving you less bandwidth then you're paying for.

Either way we can figure out a working solution. Please just confirm that all devices are connected to the R1 and when your ping rises the bandwidth monitor does not register bandwidth usage above 95%

Hi Iain,

I can confirm that my ping was spiking at the same time as the graph readings but more noticeably when both devices were playing youtube videos at the same time.

I have already disabled wireless on the other BT router and I have made sure all devices are connected via R1.

As for the ISP / bandwidth issue, I'm definitely getting less bandwidth than what I'm paying for, but because I'm located out in the sticks, 1.8 down and 0.3 up is as bad as it gets.

I will go ahead and set prioritisation to 100% for myself now and I can confirm that unchecking "share excess" is essentially the same as having wireless turned off on the R1 as well as no other person in the household is able to use the internet when this option is unchecked.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hi Iain,

I can confirm that my ping was spiking at the same time as the graph readings but more noticeably when both devices were playing youtube videos at the same time.

I have already disabled wireless on the other BT router and I have made sure all devices are connected via R1.

As for the ISP / bandwidth issue, I'm definitely getting less bandwidth than what I'm paying for, but because I'm located out in the sticks, 1.8 down and 0.3 up is as bad as it gets.

I will go ahead and set prioritisation to 100% for myself now and I can confirm that unchecking "share excess" is essentially the same as having wireless turned off on the R1 as well as no other person in the household is able to use the internet when this option is unchecked.

Iain will respond soon. Thanks for providing that information :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

You can try setting it to 100% with share_excess disabled if you'd like but that essentially blocks everyone else. Based on the graphs it looks like you have 0.9 down and 0.2 up.  The up is a serious problem.

Can you confirm this by "Resetting distribution" on the device prioritisation then clicking apply distribution. Then set the anti-flood to 100% both ways. Then run a speed test. Probably best to do this in evening between 6pm-8pm please. Make sure no other device is using the Internet please. We need to figure out what you connection speed actually is.

@Netduma_Fraser please look into commands on counter strike that reduce client tick rate or client send rate. Use the bandwidth monitor to see if you can reduce how much counter strike is uploading please.

You can try setting it to 100% with share_excess disabled if you'd like but that essentially blocks everyone else. Based on the graphs it looks like you have 0.9 down and 0.2 up.  The up is a serious problem.

Can you confirm this by "Resetting distribution" on the device prioritisation then clicking apply distribution. Then set the anti-flood to 100% both ways. Then run a speed test. Probably best to do this in evening between 6pm-8pm please. Make sure no other device is using the Internet please. We need to figure out what you connection speed actually is.

@Netduma_Fraser please look into commands on counter strike that reduce client tick rate or client send rate. Use the bandwidth monitor to see if you can reduce how much counter strike is uploading please.

Here is a quick speedtest I done following those instructions, granted it isn't after 6pm but I know this is what I usually get -  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4021956672

I will run one later as well. I'm just about to test 100% prioritisation to see if it does block bandwidth.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Here is a quick speedtest I done following those instructions, granted it isn't after 6pm but I know this is what I usually get -  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4021956672

I will run one later as well. I'm just about to test 100% prioritisation to see if it does block bandwidth.

Hey Blaikie could you try inputting these commands in the command window on CS please and let us know how you get on. 

cl_updaterate 65

cl_cmdrate 65

fps_max 65 (I'd recommend keeping it the same or higher than the rates but not too high)

rate 128000 (This will probably need reducing but it is the max rate for 64 tick servers as far as I can tell. Maybe try 65000. Too low and youll get choke)

Hi Blakie, 

Ok the most interesting thing here is that you are lagging BUT you are not saturating your connection. You can see its only about 40% in both directions. So according to the router you are not causing lag on yourself. 

Is the d/load and u/load an average?

The user has set the bandwidth to 1.8 nd 0.4 and he clearly knocks that on the head a few times.

Im not expert but the colour chat looks like its alot higher then 40% saturation of the connection in the pictures shown.

Can i ask why also if the android is orange coloured, is set to 0 in device prioritization but yet still attempts to pull 1.8mbit d/load.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Is the d/load and u/load an average?

The user has set the bandwidth to 1.8 nd 0.4 and he clearly knocks that on the head a few times.

Im not expert but the colour chat looks like its alot higher then 40% saturation of the connection in the pictures shown.

Can i ask why also if the android is orange coloured, is set to 0 in device prioritization but yet still attempts to pull 1.8mbit d/load.

Its a stacked area graph, so its not actually trying to pull that much. Its probably using some because he has share excess ticked.

Hey Blaikie could you try inputting these commands in the command window on CS please and let us know how you get on. 

cl_updaterate 65

cl_cmdrate 65

fps_max 65 (I'd recommend keeping it the same or higher than the rates but not too high)

rate 128000 (This will probably need reducing but it is the max rate for 64 tick servers as far as I can tell. Maybe try 65000. Too low and youll get choke)

I mostly play on 128 tick servers but I can try these rates, however. I don't understand the fps capping, as far as I'm aware cmdrate doesn't work like it used to in CS1.6. Currently I achieve 200-300 FPS and I tend to find it very sluggish if it's dipped below around 100.

I think AnnonymouS is right, there is only so much that can be done with my connection but the router does help to some extent at least considering how bad the connection is.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Don't give up just yet Blaikie. I'm not sure if fps will make a difference at all. I wouldn't think it does. @netduma_fraser did you test those counter strike commands on the "network monitor?"

Guest Netduma Fraser

Don't give up just yet Blaikie. I'm not sure if fps will make a difference at all. I wouldn't think it does. @netduma_fraser did you test those counter strike commands on the "network monitor?"

I saw I had high choke. I'll double check using these rates using the network monitor. I'll be running these tests tomorrow. 

Hm abou all this ping in every game i get this jumps abou 10 to 25 first i will contac my isp becouse i woes testing my ping before i got my net duma via pingtest.net and at difrent times a day i could go up to 40% jitter like high jitter apparently its a common issue for Virgin customers. My question is whats the good good ping should be completely stable or it can jitter every now and then

Personally id say anything below 40 is good, anything below 20 is unreal.

Happy new year!

happy new year ok what about stability of the ping should it be lets say 35 for the whole match

That sounds ideal lukasz but I doubt you will ever get flat lined ping in game, or anywhere across the net for that matter.

So long as the ping stays within 20-50ms of the starting ping you probably won't feel it.

That sounds ideal lukasz but I doubt you will ever get flat lined ping in game, or anywhere across the net for that matter.

So long as the ping stays within 20-50ms of the starting ping you probably won't feel it.

i love this company and this forum and the support you guys are so helpfull for a guy like me who doesn't have much knowledge big thx for all of you wihs that one day i could pay off with a ice coold bear

i love this company and this forum and the support you guys are so helpfull for a guy like me who doesn't have much knowledge big thx for all of you wihs that one day i could pay off with a ice coold bear

I'm not a tech guy either but I'm learning.

Oh and I don't want your ice cold bear, bears scare me.

Just an update on my situation. I've been playing some matchmaking recently which is low bandwidth 64 tick servers and the anti flooding seems to work a treat. But whenever I try to play on 128 tick servers, the game seems to flood itself and cause my ping to spike only ingame. I have to reset / disable the anti flood feature in order to play normally on 128 tick and tell everyone to stop using the internet.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Just an update on my situation. I've been playing some matchmaking recently which is low bandwidth 64 tick servers and the anti flooding seems to work a treat. But whenever I try to play on 128 tick servers, the game seems to flood itself and cause my ping to spike only ingame. I have to reset / disable the anti flood feature in order to play normally on 128 tick and tell everyone to stop using the internet.

Okay so if I've understood this right:

The anti flood in my opinion doesn't need to be on all the time, only when you're actually lagging. Seems that works great for you on 64 tick which is good. Due to your low bandwidth and playing on 128 tick servers which inevitably will send more data causes your connection when anti flood is used to not have enough for the game. 

Id suggest leaving the anti flood at 100 when playing 128 tick servers because if youre not lagging in game you dont actually need to use it and it seems in your case using it actually makes you lag due to your low bandwidth. You could give the PC you play on a high number like 100% on device prioritization with share excess enabled so other people can still continue to use the internet when playing 128 tick. Let me know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, thats why I'd like you to watch the bandwidth monitor when the ping rises. If it stays low, then its either:

• A device that is not directly connected to the router e.g. one connecting to the upstream router/modem
  • Problem with ISP
Also are you playing on wired or wifi? Because wifi can cause local collision problems, the anti-flood can't fix this. But if thats the case we can figure out a solution that doesn't require a wire. BUT I always recommend wired if possible.

So are you saying that every device should be connected to the R1? I currently have wifi disabled on R1 with only my PS4, XB1, and Verizon issued Actiontec MI424 REV I connected via ethernet. Everything else in house is connected via wifi. In addition I have a Netgear Nighthawk connected the Actiontec via MoCA ( one router for downstairs one for upstairs). Do you guys suggest rearranging my setup?

Archived