Anti flood not quite working as intended

Hi, so I mainly bought the router to control my CS:GO ping spikes caused by household devices. When I put the up- and download cap to ~70 everything works as intended, my roommates downloads lose a bit of speed and my ping is perfect, except when I go to actually play CS:GO, which also seems to be effected by the "throttle" and gives me about 150 ping when I would have 80-120 with the "uncontrolled" downloads and 30-50 normally. Any ideas?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Netduma_Iain

Sure, dmv1. There are a few gotchas with the anti-flood you need to be aware off.

Firstly could you answer the following questions please:

1. What is your broadband speeds (down/up) please?
  2. What do you housemates download? Is it torrent by any chance?
  3. Is your CS:GO pc connected by wire?

Based on the answers you give, I can tell you how to fix it. 

Thanks for the quick response!

1. 10 / 0.3 according to speedtest.net

2. I just put down downloads to generalize, it's pretty much skype video calls, torrents, other downloads, file uploads and streams (not simultaniously)

3. Yes

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok Brilliant, that's what I thought. First, you need to ask(tell :P) your house mates to disable utp on their torrent program. It makes no difference to them but will make our algorithm way more effective. 

I would suggest you keep it on pre-emptive, if you're still having issues maybe try change it to reactive(but I'm pretty sure its the torrent issue). To change it to reactive go to the anti-flood section on the congestion control page and just select the reactive radio circle. But again only do that if disabling utp on the torrents didn't work.

PS Have you managed to use the host analysis section? To show more advanced game classification info?

I will try it as soon as possible (tomorrow). I've tried having it on reactive for a short while earlier but didn't notice any difference and changed it back again when I read that it's recommended for >50Mbit connections.

I'm not sure what you mean by "use" it? It definitely works and shows all the servers I played on, if that's what you mean, eventhough I have no idea what the values in there mean, apart from latency  :D

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok brilliant let me know how you get on :)

Ahh yes the host analysis is quite complicated. The three most important things you want to look at are: latency, jitter and packet loss.

1. Latency - That's your ping, the lower the better
  2. Jitter - That is your change in ping, so you want this to be steady and low for a consistent game. For e.g. you could have low ping game with high jitter that will feel very inconsistent.
  3. Packet loss - this literally means packets are being lost. This is the worst thing possible, you want to minimise this. If a packet is lost what you did essentially never happens(I'm simplifying massively here)

Hope that helps. Top Tip: You can use host analysis from the in game steam web browser

Thanks for the networking 101  :) with my current issue the graphs seem to be all over the place

As I found out today the last torrent was downloaded weeks ago and there's not much torrenting going on in general. I've disabled the utp on every torrent client anyway but haven't noticed any change. Using reactive didn't do anything either 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hrm ok can you skype, I can personally help diagnose the issue. As it could be a variety of things. I'll post solution back here and answer bank.

I've PM'd you my skype account.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I think we've resolved the issue. Its because dmv1 upload is so low it was causing him issues.  His upload was only just about capable of running counter-strike, and by enabling throttling it meant that counter strike packets would cause congestion on their own.

The solution, tell the router that his upload is slightly higher than it is, so we chose 0.4. Then set the bandwidth prioritisation for the CS:GO PC to 95%, so it got exactly what it needed for CS:GO. Now his ping remains low when the feature is enabled the originally issue.

The only problem now, is that there is very little upload bandwidth available for his family. I'm waiting to see how they handle it. But really its a physical constraint now, in that his line can only handle a game of CS:GO alone without much else going on.

So the general solution is, if you're have a very low upload speed. You may need to play with the upload and bandwidth prioritisation setting till you hit the sweet spot that everyone is happy with. 

PS It was quite a surprise to me that CS:GO uses so much, it appears to be much higher than other games. @Netduma_Fraser and I are going to look into ways for reducing click send rate for Valve games for people with very low bandwidth connections. Will report back soon. 

I think we've resolved the issue. Its because dmv1 upload is so low it was causing him issues.  His upload was only just about capable of running counter-strike, and by enabling throttling it meant that counter strike packets would cause congestion on their own.

The solution, tell the router that his upload is slightly higher than it is, so we chose 0.4. Then set the bandwidth prioritisation for the CS:GO PC to 95%, so it got exactly what it needed for CS:GO. Now his ping remains low when the feature is enabled the originally issue.

The only problem now, is that there is very little upload bandwidth available for his family. I'm waiting to see how they handle it. But really its a physical constraint now, in that his line can only handle a game of CS:GO alone without much else going on.

So the general solution is, if you're have a very low upload speed. You may need to play with the upload and bandwidth prioritisation setting till hit the sweet spot that everyone is happy with. 

PS It was quite a surprise to me that CS:GO uses so much, it appears to be much higher than other games. @Netduma_Fraser and I are going to look into ways for reducing click send rate for Valve games for people with very low bandwidth connections. Will report back soon. 

This is a common issue with QoS and throttling...Normally less of an issue with higher internet speeds.

To be honest when I saw upload I thought it may be behind issue. Any browsing at a concurrent time would take away precious bandwidth.

But didn't think CS:GO would max it out by itself. Interestingly watching network usage for xb1 I was surprised at volume it uploads in a normal hosted game of MCC. It appears games have moved on since my quake days :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Tell me about it buds, I was thinking they were like 20kb max. Bare in mind in the CS:GO game he was NOT the server, just the client. What on earth is it sending? I think its cause the tick rates are so high but we will look into it. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

By the way buds and abc you may be interested to know. I used the network monitor to debug this. I may actually make a video on how to diagnose your connection on your own. So you can figure out the optimum device prioritisation if you're that way inclined. 

By the way buds and abc you may be interested to know. I used the network monitor to debug this. I may actually make a video on how to diagnose your connection on your own. So you can figure out the optimum device prioritisation if you're that way inclined. 

seems like something that should definitely at minimum be documented at max be added into the netduma. :)

Yeah I'd be interested to see it Iain.

I'm fortunate that I have plenty of connection for household just now. But 4k streaming will make a dent in that before long so it will become a much more required feature as tech progresses to demand more bandwidth per application.

Iain helped me fix the problem as good as physically possible with my current connection (10/0.3). Combining anti-flood with the distribution feature, he managed to make it work almost flawlessly.

In my scenario, video skype calls were causing ping spikes from 40 up to 180 while I was playing CS:GO. Before Netduma I had to deal with this ping daily, but by having the bandwidth cap set to 70 for both upload and download and having 80% distributed to my PC and about 10% to the Skype PC both are working almost perfectly. Due to my terrible upload speed it was possible to achieve the ping spikes to only be as high as 20ms, which is very playable, even in CS:GO. I'm very satisfied as the upload usage only stayed at 50% with all of this.

Iain was very helpful. He seems to be very knowledgable and was very patient dealing with someone that has no idea about networking. Probably the best support I've ever received with any product.

Iain helped me fix the problem as good as physically possible with my current connection (10/0.3). Combining anti-flood with the distribution feature, he managed to make it work almost flawlessly.

In my scenario, video skype calls were causing ping spikes from 40 up to 180 while I was playing CS:GO. Before Netduma I had to deal with this ping daily, but by having the bandwidth cap set to 70 for both upload and download and having 80% distributed to my PC and about 10% to the Skype PC both are working almost perfectly. Due to my terrible upload speed it was possible to achieve the ping spikes to only be as high as 20ms, which is very playable, even in CS:GO. I'm very satisfied as the upload usage only stayed at 50% with all of this.

Iain was very helpful. He seems to be very knowledgable and was very patient dealing with someone that has no idea about networking. Probably the best support I've ever received with any product.

Iain rocks, Glad we got it sorted for you,

I am in the same boat as you, I live in the sticks (commonly referred to as the land that civilization forgot) and i too suffer with a terribad upload bandwidth (.4) .

Over the next week or so I'll run some tests using various bandwidth eating apps and see what they need to run well. Hopefully we can look at maybe tailoring settings to something that will help low upstream bandwidth people more.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat as dmv1. I just received the router for Christmas yesterday only to find some sort of CSGO related flooding and then I found this post.

My connection is indeed a shocker which is why I badly need anti-flood. I have 1.8 down and 0.3 up and the things that plague my connection are my wife's facebook browsing and my kids youtube videos using phones/tablets (no PCs).

So I tried the above solution which was to set the bandwidth to 0.4 up and prioritisation to around 80-90% and distribution around 70 and I feel this helps to some extent apart from youtube videos, they just seem to take over regardless of whether the prioritisation is 80% or 100%(which I don't understand?). And anything below 60 distribution starts to flood CSGO immensely.

Basically I don't mind if there is only enough bandwidth for the others to just barely open a webpage or forever keep a video buffering, but it just doesn't seem to be regulating it that way at all.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi blaikie, don't worry you have complete control over your connection using our congestion control. Your post is a bit ambiguous. Please let me know the following:

1. On Anti-Flood click "Set Bandwidth", please tell me what you put for upload and download
  2. Please tell me on the anti-flood page what you set the upload and download percentage to
  3. Please take a screenshot of the device prioritisation "flower", upload to imgur and link here (don't forget to click "update distribution" )

Finally when you notice the issue occurring please take a screenshot of the "Network Monitor" including the upload & download graph as well as the device icons at the top.

Thank-you

When the psn is up ill try 70 d/load, 90 u/load and 90% for the ps4.

Still doesnt explain ping in game going from 20>120+ for not reason.

No other traffic that im aware of. But that is the idea of the duma isnt it?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yes, thats why I'd like you to watch the bandwidth monitor when the ping rises. If it stays low, then its either:

1. A device that is not directly connected to the router e.g. one connecting to the upstream router/modem
  2. Problem with ISP

Also are you playing on wired or wifi? Because wifi can cause local collision problems, the anti-flood can't fix this. But if thats the case we can figure out a solution that doesn't require a wire. BUT I always recommend wired if possible.

Yes, thats why I'd like you to watch the bandwidth monitor when the ping rises. If it stays low, then its either:

1. A device that is not directly connected to the router e.g. one connecting to the upstream router/modem
  2. Problem with ISP

Also are you playing on wired or wifi? Because wifi can cause local collision problems, the anti-flood can't fix this. But if thats the case we can figure out a solution that doesn't require a wire. BUT I always recommend wired if possible.

Oh im wired alright, i got wire out my waazoo.

With xbox live and psn servers in disrepair id say it will be atleast new yrs before anything can be tested effectively.

Archived