DMZ

FallenGhoul

I have just put my pc into DMZ on the router, just to test if any better, and have noticed that every game I’ve played since it doesn’t ping or show the stabilisation graph under the gaming devices section on the geo filter, is that normal?

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Quite possibly as it's bypassing everything, I would not recommend having a PC set in DMZ as it is a major security risk

This PC is only used for gaming, and only connects to game servers and the windows update server

There is nothing else on it, not even payment information, but understand what your saying. 

So does that mean that being in DMZ I’m not getting steady ping or ping optimisations??

1 hour ago, FallenGhoul said:

This PC is only used for gaming, and only connects to game servers and the windows update server

There is nothing else on it, not even payment information, but understand what your saying. 

So does that mean that being in DMZ I’m not getting steady ping or ping optimisations??

To understand a little more why DMZ  is a security risk think about your whole network which can be accessed through a client that’s compromised. It’s like leaving your front door open.

it means in basic terms an intruder can access all your network from one client being a weak link and it’s really easy to do. always protect yourself.

• Administrators

As above you can have a console in the DMZ as it is less of a risk than a PC. 

1 hour ago, FallenGhoul said:

Do you have an Open NAT without using the DMZ? Not necessarily but it might cause that. We are looking into them not working reliably 100% of the time, if you reboot do they work better?

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As above you can have a console in the DMZ as it is less of a risk than a PC. 

Do you have an Open NAT without using the DMZ? Not necessarily but it might cause that. We are looking into them not working reliably 100% of the time, if you reboot do they work better?

I have an Open NAT, certainly no issues with NAT, just testing for better connections, specifically to MW3, taking advantage of the free weekend to see if worth buying (its not, nothings changed) but think I have to concede that the game is manipulating the outcome, too many engagements just have a huge TTK and no hit detection. I was in one earlier and your R3 ping to the server was 43 and being optimised beautifully and the in game was ping 44 and I couldn't do anything against anyone, full clips into the abyss!! Then the very last game off the free access, almost identical ping and it was like I was slaughtering people with 2-4 bullets....if they think the 2 good games I've had all weekend (1st 31kills and last 24 kills) will offset the way it was over the weekend they are wrong lol

So anyways back on topic, it was just to test options, because no real benefit I've gone back to just having the static IP.

I have noticed again that the pinging of server is sometimes not working, like 6-7 times from 10, (after it worked with changing PC icon to a console) I do think when the stabilisation does ping the server it does improve the connection and the hit detection within The Finals and Destiny 2....but in MW3 not so, I think that that game is defo being manipulated in some way, I'm not the greatest player but I cant deny it when I shoot into someones back and whilst reloading I get melted by them when they look around, and KC shows nothing hit them lol

Oh and just for clarity, the gaming PC and 3 consoles are the only things connected to this router....everyone else and my other pripherals go through the business ISP 👍

14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Good to know about switching to console, has that made it work every time now? 

Not all the time, but certainly more. I know you said on a thread that the ping optimiser etc is getting looked at so waiting for that now, but overall the router has made a difference, except MW3 like I said, but I don't think that has anything to do with the router at all.

You put in some shift @Netduma Fraser, hope your at least going to have xmas day off 🤪

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, FallenGhoul said:

Not all the time, but certainly more. I know you said on a thread that the ping optimiser etc is getting looked at so waiting for that now, but overall the router has made a difference, except MW3 like I said, but I don't think that has anything to do with the router at all.

You put in some shift @Netduma Fraser, hope your at least going to have xmas day off 🤪

Okay thank you, I will make sure to let the team know about that. Yes that's correct! Great to hear you're having a good experience generally.

Haha thank you, likely will do some on Xmas day and have the rest of the day off. People will be getting it as a gift I suspect so may need help!