My personal experience so far with the R3

SamT98

Hi all, so I’ve been messing around with a lot of stuff to see what is the best configuration to get the lowest ping / bufferbloat scores.

what I personally find is the speed test itself is about 10-15% off what you actually get. What I’ve done is manually configure this and took 5% off what the isp gives me as that’s around what you’ll get on the average. For example your download is 500mb I’ll drop this to 475mb and upload is 75mb and drop this to 70mb. This way your ping and bufferbloat settings will work much much better. 

Don’t manually configure the ping and bufferbloat test, let the duma software do this, this is the only setting I don’t mess around with. I’ve achieved 9mb for the red line and 9.3mb for the blue line of the graph. Amazing results!

Disable QOS and steady ping! What I find is they’re not fully configured and will add artificial ping to your game. Hopefully a future update will fix this. I ran into a lot of packet loss issues and button delay especially with steady ping even with simple or advanced configuration. It’s not ready for competitive gaming yet. prime example but bad game lol is fifa. With steady ping on I was getting 30mb on a wired connection whereas without steady ping I was getting 9-13mb. 

Hopefully this will help a few on here struggling with set up 😁

59 minutes ago, SamT98 said:

Disable QOS and steady ping! What I find is they’re not fully configured and will add artificial ping to your game.

Steady ping is designed to add a small amount to your ping, It uses this buffer to eliminate jitter so should make games much smoother. I have not tried with Fifa but my own experience on MW3 is that steady ping makes a huge difference for the better

• Administrators

As above with Steady Ping, that's likely the ping increase you're seeing but it's done on purpose for a better connection. You can likely enable SmartBOOST again but of course it's your router and all options are available to you to use however it best works for you.

The features of the R3 are great, so far.  The only thing i wish was better is the Wifi coverage, my older xr500 gave me great signal strength throughout my house.  The R3 Wifi barely makes it to my second floor devices which are 25 ft away from where my router is located.  They intermittently connect and disconnect from the Wifi. Maybe im missing something...

43 minutes ago, Derek2626 said:

The features of the R3 are great, so far.  The only thing i wish was better is the Wifi coverage, my older xr500 gave me great signal strength throughout my house.  The R3 Wifi barely makes it to my second floor devices which are 25 ft away from where my router is located.  They intermittently connect and disconnect from the Wifi. Maybe im missing something...

That's what happens when they drop lower tier hardware inside. You should never buy these routers for their wifi/networking. Only the dumaos features. It was a shame that the r3 wasn't a high end router, could of been a banger 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Derek2626 said:

Split the bands and use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel, you could also experiment with the widths and this could give you extra range. The placement of the antennae is important as well

2 hours ago, DiGz said:

That's what happens when they drop lower tier hardware inside. You should never buy these routers for their wifi/networking. Only the dumaos features. It was a shame that the r3 wasn't a high end router, could of been a banger 

We could make a crazy spec router but it would be twice as expensive, we want to allow as many people as possible to experience it at a competitive price. If needed we can try to improve WiFi further

3 hours ago, Derek2626 said:

100% you buy it for the software. When gaming specific features appeal to you, the idea of using it with wifi doesn't make any sense to me personally. Access points do the trick just fine. 🤓

• 4 months later...
On 12/18/2023 at 7:28 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Split the bands and use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel, you could also experiment with the widths and this could give you extra range. The placement of the antennae is important as well

We could make a crazy spec router but it would be twice as expensive, we want to allow as many people as possible to experience it at a competitive price. If needed we can try to improve WiFi further

How about make that an option ? Drop that software onto a higher spec router for people who would need it ! 

17 hours ago, Boostedis300 said:

How about make that an option ? Drop that software onto a higher spec router for people who would need it ! 

I actually was about to say this exact same thing. I would happily pay the extra $100 for a better specced router. I love the new Duma OS and all but really feel like the router is knee capped by the hardware. Currently trying to decide if it's worth losing about 100Mb off my line to migrate to the R3 or stay on the XR1000.

On 12/18/2023 at 12:14 PM, Derek2626 said:

Hopefully they can fix that but with the Netgear router you have official drivers from the chipset manufacturers so WiFi tends to be far better. The XR500 was a fully fledged wave 2 WiFi 5 router. 

The R3 is WiFi 6 but we don’t know what subsets it supports but it’s a basic 2x2 router so one client at a time which is fine for a basic setup and that connectivity can be off set if you use 2.4 for IoT stuff and keep the 5Ghz for other devices. Of course no software can alter the fact that if you have a good number of clients using those bands at any time then there is queuing and you don’t want retransmissions as that will create latency so yes a better AP is handy if you have many WiFi clients. 

• Administrators

We're not a hardware company and don't have the resources of some of the bigger companies out there - we might do it in future but it would be a significant risk in terms of allocating resources

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're not a hardware company and don't have the resources of some of the bigger companies out there - we might do it in future but it would be a significant risk in terms of allocating resources

That's fair but I am genuinely curious as to the decision to stick with 256 MB of RAM vs the 512 MB the Nighthawk routers have. Would it really have been that drastic of a change on the software side as well? It just seems like an easy spec bump that gives another marketing point for the R3 vs the R2.

The quad core CPU was a nice bump. I was surprised when I saw 256MB of RAM on the spec sheet.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Slamchez said:

That's fair but I am genuinely curious as to the decision to stick with 256 MB of RAM vs the 512 MB the Nighthawk routers have. Would it really have been that drastic of a change on the software side as well? It just seems like an easy spec bump that gives another marketing point for the R3 vs the R2.

The quad core CPU was a nice bump. I was surprised when I saw 256MB of RAM on the spec sheet.

Pretty easy answer to this one - it's just not necessary for the efficient functioning of DumaOS 4. I wasn't involved in hardware decisions but I'm sure it would have been very easy to go higher but there is no point bumping up the spec for no gain and an increased price. It's tempting to think of it in terms of like a computer, if you could double your RAM on your PC you'd do so no question as you'd probably see a performance bump but for the router you just wouldn't see that.

@Netduma FraserThanks for the response. After reading I took a step back and thought about and though about it and yeah, IP addresses and things probably don't take as much RAM as I'm used to thinking about.

Which now makes me ask the question: Why do the Nighthawk routers need so much?

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Slamchez said:

@Netduma FraserThanks for the response. After reading I took a step back and thought about and though about it and yeah, IP addresses and things probably don't take as much RAM as I'm used to thinking about.

Which now makes me ask the question: Why do the Nighthawk routers need so much?

This is my 2cents, I don't have complete information:

1. We try to optimize our software as much as we possibly can - hence why we'll be able to run DumaOS 4 that was developed on the R3 on the older R2. Other companies may not have this level of software optimization. 
  2. I suspect the power of WiFi etc then requires more powerful hardware to sustain it
  3. Probably marketing! In a competitive landscape saying you have 10000Gbps WiFi for example stands out, while technically true/capable rarely anyone will see that benefit