Cannot use with DHCP turned off

Blinker73

Hi,

I have a Synology Nas that I am using as a DHCP server since for ever.

I used to turn off the DHCP of the router on the R1 and R2 but when I do this with the R3, I have connection issues with some devices

- Nothing can connect over Wifi at all

- Devices connected trough a switch cannot ping the router but can ping eachother.

- Devices connected trough a switch do not show up on the device list (except wifi and only with IPv6 adresses)

- only devices connected directly to the wan ports seem to work properly

Maybe I have to open a port forwarding for dhcp to the Nas?

I am setup this way because even if I factory reset the router, the devices get the correct address right away and I can fill in the names in the device manager at a later date.

I have lots of devices and this is why I started using the Nas as DHCP in the first place.

I would prefer to continue using the Nas in case I change routers (and the R4 may not import the R3 list)

but I could live with enabling the DHCP on the router if there was an  import/export function of the device list in case i need to do a factory reset.

See this thread for a the same request

Thanks,

Sure thing

If you need more details, let me know

WAN

- The R3 Wan is connected to the modem by PPPOE

- The Modem is a SR505N Smart RG (Adsl)

LAN

Lan 1 is connected to an alarm system

Lan 2 is connected to a DLink switch DGS-108 (Office switch with IP printer,desktop computers, Docking stations). The switch is connected to a second DGS-108 switch (Server room switch with 3 Synology Nas)

Lan 3 is connected to a DLink switch DGS-108 (Living room switch with TV, Xbox, IP Phone)

Lan 4 Not connected

So from the router to the NAS/DHCP server the link is

R3 -> Switch -> Switch -> Nas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am on 4.0.20 and still have the issue.  Is there a beta version I can install to get the  R3 usable with DHCP turned off.  

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys for the link.

I installed the .41 version but I see no improvement at all compared to previous versions.

It is completely unusable on my setup since I got it.

Got this R3 as a replacement for my broken R2

I am running under the R1 for the past 3 months now but I would like to get this issue fixed.   

Turning off DHCP is a standard option that works on every router I know of except the R3

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

Any news on this,

A quarter of the router's warranty has went by and it is still sitting on a shelve doing nothing.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I don't think it has been fixed - it's quite a niche issue in terms of our customer base and you may have seen some of the other issues that people are facing which we need to get sorted first ideally so it's unlikely to be resolved in the next version. I can provide you with an Early Access version of the next version on the off chance it's fixed.

DHCP to off is standard option on all routers.  I don’t see it as niche at all.

I was willing to wait some time for a fix but reached the end of that option at this time  

since the R3 was purchase at a reduced price fir the replacement of a  broken R2 still under warranty, I would like to send it back to you, get a refund and get a replacement R2 that I can use now. 

• Administrators

Apologies for the delayed response. I meant in terms of our customer base that is niche, I don't know anyone that has used it that way before. You are outside the return period so it wouldn't be possible to do a return. I have added you to Early Access so you can try the firmware as fast as it comes in so when a solution is available you'll have access right away.

I have signaled the problem the day I received it in December and you confirmed it was a bug.  I was told that work to fix it would be done soon as the developers just got back from Christmas holidays.  Still it is not being worked on at all.  

I am past the point where I am willing to give you guys more time to fix it. .  

Warranty counts for something. Especially if it is not working at all since day 1. 
In Canada we have 10 days to return anything not working for a refund.

I think this conversation proves I did my part  in trying to get the issue resolved but could not.  
especially since this R3 (at reduced price) was in replacement of a Broken R2 still under warranty