Very poor experience with the R2 on MW3 beta. (Xbox series x)

Sal

Hi all, 

As evident in the title my experience has been horrible on mw3 beta using my R2. I started playing from Friday at release until Sunday midday and it’s the common complaints which have plagued cod for years. Shoot first and die, get killed after turning corners, get insta melted even when I clearly shot first ect ect. 

Following a mini break from the team I had about 30 mins until friends got back from lunch so I pulled out my Asus 88u (which is an old but great router still today). Out of the box it was nothing special in terms of gaming features but I did have Merlin installed on it so after all the updates it’s pretty much on par with the R2 without the geo filter. 

I configured the asus as closely to the R2 as possible, packet priority, bandwidth limiting, same ports being opened, console in DMZ and a few other QOS features available. Honestly the connection was night and day! My experience changed instantly, hit reg felt more on point, I was killing people much quicker to where it even felt like hit marker sounds were occurring when they should (I hit someone and simultaneously hear the hit marker sound and they die as expected). Still had the odd occasion of being melted but most of my deaths felt fair. Prior to this I would play a few games and get off or wait until my team got on as I hated the game. Following the router change, I’ve played the game almost non stop even solo with randoms. The game now feels great.

This isn’t me hating on the R2 as I’ve supported this company since release being an R1 and an R2 owner, if they were to release the R3 tomorrow I’d be in line to buy one. But I’m starting to lose hope… Is this a case of the router components not being the best or maybe a case of too many tweaks in settings? Maybe the Geo filter isn’t working as it should? Could the over heating be causing issues because I’ve noticed the R2 does run extremely hot almost all of the time. The Asus so far has been cool as a cucumber.

Does anyone have similar experiences? 

Thanks in advanced. 

I had a very similar experience except it was on ps5 and then Pc for the MW3 beta using geo-filter with <39 Ms pings 

both I felt a second behind and was very frustrated, so I decided to test out mw2 and Cold War. Both had the same results. I tried to disable QOS and PDI on the router but nothing changed, so I disabled geo-filter and the experienced changed for me instantly…..

something about the Geo-filter is causing latency!! 

Oh that’s a good shout then dude. However, without a properly working geo filter the R2 feels a bit redundant as the only additional feature the R2 has is its geofilter. Without that my asus honestly has better specs and has a way better wireless connection. My R2 constantly disconnects throughout the day. I’ll keep playing on the Asus until the geofilter issue is resolved or at least looked into. 

thanks for the response!

• Administrators

It is a beta so we won't be able to tell the full extent of what it's like until the proper release but we do have something in the works that I think will help overall. Also may be worth trying the Early Access firmware with Smart QoS.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It is a beta so we won't be able to tell the full extent of what it's like until the proper release but we do have something in the works that I think will help overall. Also may be worth trying the Early Access firmware with Smart QoS.

Okay will do that today, but for me and had the same experience even on Mw2 and Cold War on PC

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, voicemale said:

Okay will do that today, but for me and had the same experience even on Mw2 and Cold War on PC

Definitely worth playing around with Smart QoS. Also force different servers even if they're slightly further away with a slightly higher ping, some people say it provides a better experience.

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

can u plz point me in the right direction? so i can download a try the early access smart QOS?

Also worth noting cross play was enabled so your playing with PC players with higher frame rates than what consoles get. I play Halo Infinite a lot when we get PC players you can tell straight away with the difference in frame rates and hit detection etc.

1 hour ago, DOGGAVELI said:

Also worth noting cross play was enabled so your playing with PC players with higher frame rates than what consoles get. I play Halo Infinite a lot when we get PC players you can tell straight away with the difference in frame rates and hit detection etc.

Not in my case dude I had cross play turned off.