XR1000 1.0.0.64_1.0.49 / 3.1.1 keeps mixing up device names, features never loading...

Good morning ! I recently purchased an XR1000 router, and the Geo filter never successfully loaded up. Ping Heat map also never loads.

The router also keeps mixing up devices names which is really annoying when you try to find what eats up your bandwidth in Network Monitor... 

It also seems to not have enough ram (always about 4.2% free...) is there a way to remove some rapps ?

For example I would remove ping heat map and ad blocker (since it doesn't block what I expected it to block...)

Any clues ?

• Administrators

You can't remove any Rapps no. Go to the System Information page and then in the Rapp panel menu ≡ change the retries to 5, reboot from the interface, wait 4 minutes before accessing and see if it works then please.

Your devices may be using Private/Random MAC addresses, you can disable this on the WiFi sections of your devices. I believe it's a feature on iOS, Android and Windows (if using WiFi), it basically makes the router think it's a completely new & different device, hence the naming issue.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can't remove any Rapps no. Go to the System Information page and then in the Rapp panel menu ≡ change the retries to 5, reboot from the interface, wait 4 minutes before accessing and see if it works then please.

Your devices may be using Private/Random MAC addresses, you can disable this on the WiFi sections of your devices. I believe it's a feature on iOS, Android and Windows (if using WiFi), it basically makes the router think it's a completely new & different device, hence the naming issue.

Thanks ! I'll be trying those after work ! About the MAC address, I understand what you say, but I find this almost impossible that devices switches MAC adresses between them.. ?

My streaming laptop (windows) according to the router took the Nintendo Switch's name, and some other device took the only iPhone's name on the network... at the moment of writing this, my Linux Mint Desktop, Android phone and Windows work laptop all have their correct name... 

EDIT: My streaming laptop is wired, and the name was mixed up this morning ! Other devices are indeed, on WiFi !

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Qc-TheArchitect said:

Thanks ! I'll be trying those after work ! About the MAC address, I understand what you say, but I find this almost impossible that devices switches MAC adresses between them.. ?

My streaming laptop (windows) according to the router took the Nintendo Switch's name, and some other device took the only iPhone's name on the network... at the moment of writing this, my Linux Mint Desktop, Android phone and Windows work laptop all have their correct name... 

EDIT: My streaming laptop is wired, and the name was mixed up this morning ! Other devices are indeed, on WiFi !

That'll probably be related to the IP addresses then. If you reserve the IP addresses in DHCP settings that should sort it.

Hi,  i will suggest to do a ftp firmware update , i did it to mine and the router nows works far better.

Netgear has a tutorial, and there is a github tool, that worked better to me.

the commands are also easy.

give it a try!

9 hours ago, Xûr said:

Hi,  i will suggest to do a ftp firmware update , i did it to mine and the router nows works far better.

Netgear has a tutorial, and there is a github tool, that worked better to me.

the commands are also easy.

give it a try!

Can you link me where i can i found it?

On 10/12/2023 at 11:54 AM, Qc-TheArchitect said:

Good morning ! I recently purchased an XR1000 router, and the Geo filter never successfully loaded up. Ping Heat map also never loads.

The router also keeps mixing up devices names which is really annoying when you try to find what eats up your bandwidth in Network Monitor... 

It also seems to not have enough ram (always about 4.2% free...) is there a way to remove some rapps ?

For example I would remove ping heat map and ad blocker (since it doesn't block what I expected it to block...)

Any clues ?

Name mix up i notice is if another device get the same IP address. e.g iPhone 1 as IP of say 20 and then disconnects and a Laptop then connect and has the same Ip address the router seem to think it is still an iPhone.  

the only way i have fix this issue is to restart the router. but the much better way is to assign an ip address to each device (settings > setup > Lan Setup) i set my Starting IP Address to .40 (as i have around 37 normal devices). as my router had reset it self i have not added them all back in yet as this is not part of the backup file and is a pain in the add to add them back in. 

to note after you add the items to the router you will need to restart and then do a power off and wait 1-2 mins so all wifi devices pick up there assigned ip address and not try and connect with there old Ip address. 

Also if a device used a private mac address it will stay the same on the router till the user forgets it and then re-adds it. so turning them off when on the home wifi is what i do. but as the mac address does not change in private mode unless u forget your wifi and re-add it again. but as i keep a list of all my mac address so i can add assign IP addresses to them for when it crashes/reset it self again. 

i also have now memory left. after a the router resets it self it is around 7.8% free but i am normal around 1-2% free or -3% free. yes -3%

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.42.15.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 10:27 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Good morning ! Finally, some devices still mix up... I have up on this. The most important thing is that Geo filter never loaded up, even with 5 retries....

Starting to feel this purchase was useless tbh...

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Qc-TheArchitect said:

Good morning ! Finally, some devices still mix up... I have up on this. The most important thing is that Geo filter never loaded up, even with 5 retries....

Starting to feel this purchase was useless tbh...

There is a newer update, so upgrade to that and then see if they load correctly after that please.

https://kb.netgear.com/000065541/XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-68

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2023 at 10:18 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

There is a newer update, so upgrade to that and then see if they load correctly after that please.

https://kb.netgear.com/000065541/XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-68

This update still doesn't show up in the router's update page, i'm on XR1000 1.0.0.64_1.0.49 and it still says i'm on the latest firmware... i prefer waiting it is available with automatic download to avoid loading a wrong firmware and bricking my router. Also, does the new firmware fix the RAPP IS NOT LOADED problem with geo filter ? Never got to see it loaded once since I bought the router...

• Administrators

The auto update is a Netgear feature so only they can push that through, not sure why they haven't done it. The link above is the legitimate firmware and it's perfectly safe to update that way.

With each update it gets more stable but there aren't any specific changes from us in that one but I would suggest upgrading followed by a factory reset for the cleanest install possible and it should work.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:47 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It shouldn't be much longer for the next firmware but that will likely be a beta build distributed directly from us, in which case you would need to do a manual update

hopefully soon!

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2023 at 3:47 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

It shouldn't be much longer for the next firmware but that will likely be a beta build distributed directly from us, in which case you would need to do a manual update

Hi! I was about to update the firmware to see if the Geo filter loads at all in the newer version, the firmware is a .chk file ?? Netgear says it is supposed to be a .img file ... what am i missing ?!

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, Qc-TheArchitect said:

Hi! I was about to update the firmware to see if the Geo filter loads at all in the newer version, the firmware is a .chk file ?? Netgear says it is supposed to be a .img file ... what am i missing ?!

Yes it is a .chk file that is normal for the XR1000

@Qc-TheArchitectIf you have the file your supposed to unzip it and take the chk file as the file when updating also geo works fine I would recommend hard resetting if you haven't that means holding the reset button for 30 secs.

I also recommend using incognito as I have seen it save cache which isn't typically good as it might have certain conflicts though last alternative is just a nmrpflash which certain users say it fixes there issues etc.

2 hours ago, DARKNESS said:

@Qc-TheArchitectIf you have the file your supposed to unzip it and take the chk file as the file when updating also geo works fine I would recommend hard resetting if you haven't that means holding the reset button for 30 secs.

I also recommend using incognito as I have seen it save cache which isn't typically good as it might have certain conflicts though last alternative is just a nmrpflash which certain users say it fixes there issues etc.

Well, the update went fine.

Some tabs on the left had "title" instead of their names for a while. Now I can't connect to the internet anymore. Tbh I'm kinda out of patience for this fking thing, its been a nightmare since day 1...

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Qc-TheArchitect said:

Well, the update went fine.

Some tabs on the left had "title" instead of their names for a while. Now I can't connect to the internet anymore. Tbh I'm kinda out of patience for this fking thing, its been a nightmare since day 1...

You probably need to clear cache/cookies for the title issue. Rebooting modem, waiting 2 minutes then rebooting XR, waiting 2 minutes should get you internet

On 12/18/2023 at 6:10 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

You probably need to clear cache/cookies for the title issue. Rebooting modem, waiting 2 minutes then rebooting XR, waiting 2 minutes should get you internet

I finally got to get everything working ! Except, since the firmware update, my Linux Mint desktop pc can't access the USB drive anymore (which was working day one before). My windows PCs sees it tho... any clues ?

EDIT: Found a solution ! :D 

Edited by Qc-TheArchitect
found solution

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Qc-TheArchitect said:

I finally got to get everything working ! Except, since the firmware update, my Linux Mint desktop pc can't access the USB drive anymore (which was working day one before). My windows PCs sees it tho... any clues ?

EDIT: Found a solution ! :D 

Glad to hear you got it sorted, thanks for the update!