Fiber optic service

Reykc9510

I have cable internet via spectrum, I also have the  netgear xr1000 which I love because of the dumos features.  I want to switch my service to fiber optic because it's better an faster. I don't know what speed I should get, I was thinking 3g but I would need to switch to a 10g router, I don't wanna give up my xr1000. Is 3g necessary I live in a small house and I'm the only one in here gaming or is the one or two GB service adequate?

Screenshot_20230920_094827_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230920_094834_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230920_094840_Chrome.jpg

Hi !
1Gbps is more than enough especially if you want to stay on the xr1000 which is its hardware limit!

You can always take 3Gbps this will allow you to download games or software more quickly on an optimized PC.

But overall if it's just for domestic use, apart from doing Speedtests it won't be of any use to you!

1 hour ago, Reykc9510 said:

I just didn't know if 1gb would be any different from 3gb fiber. I have a small house an not many devices hooked up to internet.  My ps5 is hardwired directly from the xr1000 love those features from dumaOs. Definitely don't wanna buy another router either.

Let me drop some knowledge on you. The PS5 and Xbox Series models are both capped at gigabit speed due to their nic. You would gain zero benefit from more speed. I have gigabit fiber and just getting off of coax has improved my gameplay by miles my friend. Fiber has way less jitter which means your latency holds more stable resulting in better hit detection. This won't fix a dhitty server, but I've seen a dramatic improvement in my detection but your mileage may vary. Anything past a gig is a little overkill especially if you have a place to yourself or a decent sized family. You'd be surprised at what it takes so saturate a gigabit line lol. 

Thank you I appreciate your knowledge.. can't wait to try out fiber.... my hit detection definitely needs improvement, sometimes I let off 4 5 shots first in a gun battle an still end up dead.. highest ping 42ms lowest 18.. generally 23ms is my ping thru cable internet..