XR500 setup with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

• Administrators
21 hours ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

This just happened again now when I restarted PC to a different OS (dual boots), I disabled QoS via the hamburger menu and it instantly came back

Okay if you just leave it disabled does it still happen?

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

Since its completely random that it happens I will have to give it some time and test, I will let you know. Let's say give it a week or two?

That sounds like a good test to determine whether it's the sole cause, keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

So it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't noticed the issue with QoS disabled. However, I have noticed a couple of strange things which I know wasn't happening prior to having the gaming router. Youtube on the TV will buffer some videos, I have to back out and try and load the video again, sometimes it only loads for a second or not at all. The other thing is my girlfriend's mobile phone's internet is so slow (browsing etc) she has to use 4G. Not sure if this is down to my setup or the firmware but I did not experience any slowness at all just through the ISP hub.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

So it's been a couple of weeks and I haven't noticed the issue with QoS disabled. However, I have noticed a couple of strange things which I know wasn't happening prior to having the gaming router. Youtube on the TV will buffer some videos, I have to back out and try and load the video again, sometimes it only loads for a second or not at all. The other thing is my girlfriend's mobile phone's internet is so slow (browsing etc) she has to use 4G. Not sure if this is down to my setup or the firmware but I did not experience any slowness at all just through the ISP hub.

Okay interesting, that probably is happening because you have no QoS active so everything is fighting each other. Could you re-enable QoS, then completely disable Traffic Prioritization, any rules you've added there and DumaOS Classified Games and see whether either issue returns please?

Hi Fraser,

thanks for getting back! Just to confirm, I have not added any rules so I take it I am just disabling the above you mentioned to completely disable Traffic Prioritization as you mentioned?

image.thumb.png.118236842c62d955682c5f287b059307.png

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

thanks for getting back! Just to confirm, I have not added any rules so I take it I am just disabling the above you mentioned to completely disable Traffic Prioritization as you mentioned?

Yes that's all disabled so let's see how it goes now!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Fraser,

still experiencing the issue. I just want to clarify that youtube will buffer videos around 3 times till I can get it to load properly on the TV (closing the video and reopening), this happens regardless if any other device is using the network or not. No device is also downloading. The mobile phone issue is still happening to. I've had QoS fully disabled as well.

To isolate the issue, I turned off the gaming router to just use the virgin hub and the issues went away. So it shows that its to do with the gaming router. I also believe that the firmware change is the cause as I didn't see this happen prior to installing it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Fraser,

I have downgraded to V2.3.2.134 from the official download page. I have physically factory reset and then factory reset in the GUI. If that's a good way to go about it. I noticed that the QoS settings (set to never and the last download and upload sliders) are still set to what I had previously on the beta firmware, are these settings never wiped? Just wanted to be sure that nothing funky is happening with the factory reset/downgrade.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

I have downgraded to V2.3.2.134 from the official download page. I have physically factory reset and then factory reset in the GUI. If that's a good way to go about it. I noticed that the QoS settings (set to never and the last download and upload sliders) are still set to what I had previously on the beta firmware, are these settings never wiped? Just wanted to be sure that nothing funky is happening with the factory reset/downgrade.

It should wipe completely and go back to 100%, how did you do the factory reset?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

I did the factory reset after downgrading via the reset pin on the router for at least 10 seconds. Then in the GUI itself after running the wizard.

If you reset via the button you'll need to hold it for 30 seconds, otherwise it will just reboot. On the interface was that using the 3 dots top right or in settings?

Hi Fraser,

Okay I followed this link https://setuprouter.com/router/netgear/nighthawk-xr500/reset-router.htm#:~:text=If you find a pinhole,for at least 10 seconds. which said to only do this for 10 seconds. I will try 30 next time. As for the GUI, I reset via Settings > Administration > Backup settings > Revert to factory default settings.

Also just to note, that so far youtube at least is working as normal (no buffer) on the normal firmware

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

Okay I followed this link https://setuprouter.com/router/netgear/nighthawk-xr500/reset-router.htm#:~:text=If you find a pinhole,for at least 10 seconds. which said to only do this for 10 seconds. I will try 30 next time. As for the GUI, I reset via Settings > Administration > Backup settings > Revert to factory default settings.

Also just to note, that so far youtube at least is working as normal (no buffer) on the normal firmware

Next time try from the top right for a reset and see if that works better. Great to hear the original issue is resolved though!

Hi Fraser,

So I have tried the 30 seconds and that didn't change the QoS sliders either. I have done the pin factory reset a few times now and nothing seems to make the sliders reset. As for the top right, the only option in the GUI I can see in relation to any "reset" is the reboot option if you mean in the nav bar. Thanks

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

So I have tried the 30 seconds and that didn't change the QoS sliders either. I have done the pin factory reset a few times now and nothing seems to make the sliders reset. As for the top right, the only option in the GUI I can see in relation to any "reset" is the reboot option if you mean in the nav bar. Thanks

Okay bizarre, I'll pass that on to the team to take a look at.

Hi Fraser,

not sure if you want to move this to a new thread since I have the XR1000 now. It came with version V1.0.0.64_1.0.49 which is the one before the latest. I kept it at that and copied the settings we went over when troubleshooting the XR500 in this thread:

- IP Ranges from 50 to 254 (set LAN to .2)

- Disabling all traffic prioritization in QoS

I have noticed that WiFi on the other PC seems poor, speeds are very slow and it constantly drops out. I've done a factory reset and tried it again but still no luck. I disabled AX (since I noticed others did this as they had the same issue in other threads) and used smart connect (which was what I used on the XR500)

The speeds increased from 11MB to 400MB download. It seemed to not disconnect as often when updated on the new firmware (1.0.0.68) but is still dropping. Is there something different with this router that I need to set as apposed to the XR500? Turning QoS off makes no difference either.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

not sure if you want to move this to a new thread since I have the XR1000 now. It came with version V1.0.0.64_1.0.49 which is the one before the latest. I kept it at that and copied the settings we went over when troubleshooting the XR500 in this thread:

- IP Ranges from 50 to 254 (set LAN to .2)

- Disabling all traffic prioritization in QoS

I have noticed that WiFi on the other PC seems poor, speeds are very slow and it constantly drops out. I've done a factory reset and tried it again but still no luck. I disabled AX (since I noticed others did this as they had the same issue in other threads) and used smart connect (which was what I used on the XR500)

The speeds increased from 11MB to 400MB download. It seemed to not disconnect as often when updated on the new firmware (1.0.0.68) but is still dropping. Is there something different with this router that I need to set as apposed to the XR500? Turning QoS off makes no difference either.

It's quite unlikely both routers would have the exact same issue so I do wonder if it's something else entirely, where is the router located and are there any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet? Do you have a microwave closeish to it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

sorry for the slow reply, been a bit busy! I have my routers on a small table, the virgin hub on the top and the XR1000 at the bottom, I've attached photos of how the router setup looks like. Also, just to clarify on the issue, it's not the exact same issue across both, on the XR500, the wireless PC had no connectivity issues, this only happens on the XR1000 randomly getting disconnected. The XR500 just had buffer issues on YouTube TV, and slow connectivity on wireless devices.

One other thing to confirm is that the XR1000's Duma OS UI also doesn't have the reset option in the top right corner of the dashboard, guess it's just not a thing. Thanks!

IMG-7147.jpg

IMG-7149.jpg

• Administrators
On 9/13/2023 at 1:27 PM, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

sorry for the slow reply, been a bit busy! I have my routers on a small table, the virgin hub on the top and the XR1000 at the bottom, I've attached photos of how the router setup looks like. Also, just to clarify on the issue, it's not the exact same issue across both, on the XR500, the wireless PC had no connectivity issues, this only happens on the XR1000 randomly getting disconnected. The XR500 just had buffer issues on YouTube TV, and slow connectivity on wireless devices.

One other thing to confirm is that the XR1000's Duma OS UI also doesn't have the reset option in the top right corner of the dashboard, guess it's just not a thing. Thanks!

That looks okay, I take it there aren't any other devices in the immediate vicinity? For the XR1000, change the mode on 5GHz from 4800Mbps to the next one down, I believe it's 2400Mbps and see if that works better please. Ah to reset then you would need to do so in Settings > Administration > Backup Settings > Erase

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

So I still had random drops unfortunately, I went a head and bought a network adapter card for the PC  (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-pce-ax3000-wireless-pcie-nic-dual-band-24plus5ghz-600plus2402mbps-external-antennas-mu-mimo-wif). I put the card's preferred bandwidth to 5GHz mode and I put the setting you recommend back to 4800 (default and highest) along with the rest of the default Wireless settings in DumaOS (AX enabled, no smart connect). I will test to see how it does now, but hopefully maybe it was just the onboard WiFi not good enough to keep it consistent, will let you know!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

The wifi drop outs on the other PC appear to be fixed on the XR1000 with the network card! Must be the onboard wifi is not strong enough to hold a connection. Having said that, is there any recommended settings for the wifi setup on the XR1000? This is what I have got:

image.thumb.png.fe5713d93dce1c142b2e257369474d27.png

image.thumb.png.a4f5d84ec2345cb5c06bc79a495ccc3d.png

Also should I use the same QoS that I had on the XR500 or is it better to set it all up again using auto setup? I noticed when using this on the XR1000, it was telling me every time that my speeds should be set to 100%/91% which that doesn't seem right or am I mistaken? 100% download just caps out all of my download speed so surely I'd suffer when gaming?