XR500 setup with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

Back in router mode with DMZ set, I tested going from 95 / 95 all the way to 15 / 15image.thumb.png.70962ac37c02bd126f7f3ee245b5f3d2.png

spikes stopped at that point (where 15 / 15 is equal to 79.1mb / 5.4mb). From there I lowered by 1% to get to the 5 / 5 I previously had in modem mode (you can see it more stable at the end of the graph where it is set to 5 / 5). Seems like it didn't make a difference switching to DMZ and router mode?

image.thumb.png.f1bdb56dbff8efd1e80349be483233d9.png

Is it worth trying the beta firmware for auto setup on the QoS?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

sorry for the late reply. I have been testing thoroughly which I am hoping help gives you an insight into the issue. I have however noticed recently that my virgin media hub 3 router is showing a constant red light and I have just contacted them and been informed that there is a connectivity issue in my area. I will wait for this to be resolved and get back to you so that my results and reply is 100% accurate, thanks!

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

sorry for the late reply. I have been testing thoroughly which I am hoping help gives you an insight into the issue. I have however noticed recently that my virgin media hub 3 router is showing a constant red light and I have just contacted them and been informed that there is a connectivity issue in my area. I will wait for this to be resolved and get back to you so that my results and reply is 100% accurate, thanks!

Thanks for the update, look forward to your report!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fraser,

one thing I have noticed is that sometimes my devices will lose internet, I could be on the tv and it will buffer a stream, or can't access certain sites on my mobile phone. Or I completely lose connection on the PC (all while no games being played / other devices being used). I notice that when I completely disable QoS in settings everything comes back to normal. Is this to do with my settings? Or is this a known thing with the beta firmware?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

one thing I have noticed is that sometimes my devices will lose internet, I could be on the tv and it will buffer a stream, or can't access certain sites on my mobile phone. Or I completely lose connection on the PC (all while no games being played / other devices being used). I notice that when I completely disable QoS in settings everything comes back to normal. Is this to do with my settings? Or is this a known thing with the beta firmware?

Could you provide a log file from the System Information page when the disconnects happen please? That should give me an indication of what may be happening. How often is it occurring? 

I'll send over a log when this next happens, it last happened on monday/tuesday. It's often that other devices are slow, such as my mobile on certain sites. I can confirm it's to do with the QoS setup as I can access those sites perfectly fine on 4G.

I have attached my tests that I did extensively by using the auto setup for setting QoS as well as using it's advanced setup for tweaking it for potential gains. I did both for DMZ and modem mode just to see and also give yourself an insight to how it is performing. I ran all QoS configurations through the connection benchmark, waveforms bufferbloat, and pingplotter. 

I've also done manual QoS configurations based off disabling QoS and running speed tests through Duma to give me speeds. I am not sure how helpful these reports will be to you, but hopefully they will give you an insight into helping me dial in the best settings.

One thing I noticed that you may see in the folder is that setting speed to 500 (manual) and 396 (from recommended QoS disabled speed) kept giving me 100% on download which seemed pointless imo? although setting anti spike settings changed this.

Just an FYI on these tests, they were done on the XR500 V2.3.2.134-dumaos33-rc13 firmware version with full factory reset, and my old Hub 3.0 which may have had a fault (I have a new one now).

tests.7z

Hey Fraser did you have a chance to take a look into the tests? Thanks!

Also have a side question - is it possible to merge to devices that are the same? My other PC connects via WiFi and ethernet, and it splits the bandwidth allocation due to that, so its not as ideal since the bandwidth is for the same device and could be split out better?

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

Hey Fraser did you have a chance to take a look into the tests? Thanks!

Also have a side question - is it possible to merge to devices that are the same? My other PC connects via WiFi and ethernet, and it splits the bandwidth allocation due to that, so its not as ideal since the bandwidth is for the same device and could be split out better?

Apologies, a lot to go through, I'll go through it all within the next few hours and provide some feedback.

Not specifically no, the PC has a different MAC address depending on the connection method. For Bandwidth Allocation it won't matter as it'll give bandwidth to devices that need it so there won't be any bandwidth going to the 'device' that isn't 'online' if you see what I mean.

• Administrators

So actually there were a few tests missing but a lot of your testing is based off of Auto Setup which is still being improved upon, Connection Benchmark which uses Google servers (not everyone gets a great connection to them) and 3rd party bufferbloat tests which I don't generally recommend. I think this is why some of the results you're seeing aren't the best. 

What I would suggest is, saturate your connection with downloads and videos etc, this is better because you're simulating actual traffic on your connection which is more of a real world test. You know how to use Ping Plotter already but I would suggest following this: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping The key part there is using a local site to test, a news site in your country/state/county for example is likely to be more stable for you. 

So while you have your connection being saturated with downloads, videos etc and a local site is being pinged it's then best to start with a high value for Congestion Control (while set to Always), say 95% then check the bottom Ping Plotter graph, decrease by 10%, check, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

Ideally by following the guide you'll find your base ping, then you'll see how high your ping goes when the connection is saturated and then you'll find the best CC values that bring your ping down as close to your base ping as possible while all of that traffic is happening. This way you can be absolutely sure that your connection will never be saturated and that no matter what is happening on your network it will not affect your ping at all.

Hi Fraser

Some tests I found pointless to do due to getting the same result for auto setup so I just left those (I planned to do 3 tests with each auto setup configuration). Thanks for getting back to me with your recommendation, I will these things out. Just want to inform you that my internet just dropped now (at 5:07PM) and came back at 5:14PM I have attached the log file if it helps. All I was doing was just watching a youtube video, had discord and steam running and then noticed everything losing connection, no other device on the network except my phone, I checked Virgin Media's service status and that resulted in no issues found in my area, my Hub and XR500 had all white lights to indicate it was fine, so it must be the gaming router that causes this?

log-1688919590150.txt

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser

Some tests I found pointless to do due to getting the same result for auto setup so I just left those (I planned to do 3 tests with each auto setup configuration). Thanks for getting back to me with your recommendation, I will these things out. Just want to inform you that my internet just dropped now (at 5:07PM) and came back at 5:14PM I have attached the log file if it helps. All I was doing was just watching a youtube video, had discord and steam running and then noticed everything losing connection, no other device on the network except my phone, I checked Virgin Media's service status and that resulted in no issues found in my area, my Hub and XR500 had all white lights to indicate it was fine, so it must be the gaming router that causes this?

In LAN Setting, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

Will try that now Fraser, just want to mention that it went down again and has just come back now. Not seen it happen twice in the same day before, will try this now thanks

I got disconnected from my game and saw this log [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 23.26.121.105, port 30120, Sunday, July 09, 2023 18:28:50

Is this because I shown my mac address here? Not seen that before or had it

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, endo2406 said:

I got disconnected from my game and saw this log [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 23.26.121.105, port 30120, Sunday, July 09, 2023 18:28:50

Is this because I shown my mac address here? Not seen that before or had it

The Netgear routers show DoS attacks a lot, they're very sensitive, it's not an attack just a connection you've come in contact with, that one is a server, likely a game server.

Hi Fraser, I had a disconnect for less than a minute just now, I tried accessing amazon.co.uk and twitch.tv whilst already browsing and they failed to load for 10seconds or so at least. Seems like maybe the range helped reduce the disconnect time? Not sure

Just went down again for same amount of time (like 20 seconds)

EDIT:

Okay that was 3 in a row, I have just turned the router on and off after 10 seconds. It seems like its worse now though? I don't know.

Hi Fraser,

It happened twice right after each other as soon as I turn my PC on this morning. I opened up several tabs and they all failed to load, I couldn't even hit 192.168.1.1 on both occasions and I had trouble accessing it for a while (tab name was authenticate app if that helps) I had to restart the PC to be able to access it again, even now is not great I am going to restart the router. I have attached the log thanks.

log-1689067461960.txt

• Administrators
4 hours ago, endo2406 said:

Hi Fraser,

It happened twice right after each other as soon as I turn my PC on this morning. I opened up several tabs and they all failed to load, I couldn't even hit 192.168.1.1 on both occasions and I had trouble accessing it for a while (tab name was authenticate app if that helps) I had to restart the PC to be able to access it again, even now is not great I am going to restart the router. I have attached the log thanks. log-1689067461960.txt 40.21 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for that, could you disable QoS fully from the Congestion Control menu :menu please and see if it happens again?

• 2 weeks later...