Ping issues

I recently bought the xr1000 I was having ping 50-70 consistentltconsistently, I have a gig internet speed everything hardwired. The xr1000 lowered my ping to 30-50ms I play on a lg c2 120hertz TV. I'm trying to see if there's other settings within the router that can help me get a lower ping because I noticed some players are still exceptionally faster with response time I play MW2

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

Everyone's connection is different so it may not be possible to lower it further but if you do a wired speedtest.net test what ping do you get and where abouts are you located?

My laptop is not wired to the router. When I do a ping test on the router it always varies.  It has came down considerably but I was wondering if there's some type of settings that can make ir even lower or using a VPN.  I'm still learning how to use this router..

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Reykc9510 said:

My laptop is not wired to the router. When I do a ping test on the router it always varies.  It has came down considerably but I was wondering if there's some type of settings that can make ir even lower or using a VPN.  I'm still learning how to use this router..

Is it possible to do the wired speedtest I mentioned? Reason I ask is because that will give me your base ping and then I'll be able to tell you if it's possible to improve the ping anymore, without knowing that you won't know what to aim for.

How can I do the wired ping test? I have a laptop so there's no way to hardwire it.. I'm still kinda new at all this tech stuff. I do appreciate you taken the time to help me. Thank you. 

• Administrators

Depending on your laptop it may have an ethernet port you could use to connect it to the router. So the ping there is to the Google server, it doesn't guarantee you would get that do a game server, whether you can do a wired test or not, could you do a speedtest.net test please and provide a screenshot of the result? 

Where are you located approximately? 

• Administrators

Thanks for that, I would say you're probably not going to be able to get the ping much lower but do have a look through our optimal settings guide: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

Also double check this guide to see if you are capable of getting higher speeds: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maximum-bandwidth-speeds

Your connection will be limited to the network card on pc or laptop. They sell usb to Ethernet adapters on Amazon 

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Internet Adapter https://a.co/d/dZZ9GqJ

but still majority of laptops and desktops pc’s unless specifically stated in hardware specifications or you upgraded the network card yourself or paid someone to do it for you will not have a gigabit network card. Some modern pc and laptops may have it pre installed but you have to make sure.

spectrum technicians will tell you the same. Over WiFi running speed tests you are most likely maxing out the network card in the laptop. Everything will probably check out ok on your isp side of the network and the router may detect your provisioned isp speed but the bottleneck will be your laptop over WiFi. 

2 hours ago, crunkjuice1 said:

Your connection will be limited to the network card on pc or laptop. They sell usb to Ethernet adapters on Amazon 

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Internet Adapter https://a.co/d/dZZ9GqJ

but still majority of laptops and desktops pc’s unless specifically stated in hardware specifications or you upgraded the network card yourself or paid someone to do it for you will not have a gigabit network card. Some modern pc and laptops may have it pre installed but you have to make sure.

spectrum technicians will tell you the same. Over WiFi running speed tests you are most likely maxing out the network card in the laptop. Everything will probably check out ok on your isp side of the network and the router may detect your provisioned isp speed but the bottleneck will be your laptop over WiFi. 

So im confused. My ISP is 1000/150. When i speed test.net on laptop  and choose a local server,  my DL speed is super slow, around 200. UL is fine.

When i use the DumaOS site on laptop, i get 3 various speeds.  The setup test is best,  DL940. Benchmark usually gets around DL750.  Auto setup is around DL400.

I always see ppl suggest using the speedtest.net when guaging speeds but this test literally gives me the slowest values.

• Administrators

The tests on the router do the test from the router itself to those servers whereas with speedtest.net it's doing it from your device to the server and as you're unable to do a wired speedtest and forced to do WiFi that's why it will be a bit lower. Go with the highest number as that's what the router is actually receiving.

All isp have this in the ad sentence “up to” X speeds. This saves them when the nodes on their side are saturated. Regardless of this if the router is getting 80 to 90 percent close to advertised speeds trust the router.

Look into your laptop WiFi card read into it and see what it’s capable of speed wise. If your seeing half or less of the advertised speed you are paying for most likely it’s just the laptop is to slow or you are a few rooms away from the router when running speed tests. Walls will slow your WiFi down as well.

as explained above: it has 2 peas 2 measures...

1) the speed test on dumaOS is tied to a server that is not necessarily optimized for your lan connection, so the test will ditch the best... just put your speeds provided by your ISP

2) The speed test given by your PC in Wifi depends on the maximum speeds that the wifi card can give, if it is limited you will never have the maximum speed that your ISP offers you. (Contrary to a test carried out with an RJ45 port at Gbps on a PC)

Can you give us a screenshot of your wifi card on your PC:

Type: in the windows search bar control panel left click: network and internet / sharing center and network / modify the parameters of the card. Then right click on your wifi card connected to the network / select status. (this will tell you the max speed of your wifi on the PC)

image.png.ced87d7717f3fe5768d6767ab2664621.png

Just go off the routers detected speeds and all will be fine. QOSand your GEO LOCATION bubbles and bufferbloat sliders set to the detected speeds from the WAN PORT should be getting you pretty close to as good as your connection is. 

remember you can control your connection to the best of your abilities but other people might not have it so well or they have better connection than you. No hard feelings it’s the internet rest assured you have done everything you can on your end 🤘🏾

On 3/21/2023 at 11:11 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

The tests on the router do the test from the router itself to those servers whereas with speedtest.net it's doing it from your device to the server and as you're unable to do a wired speedtest and forced to do WiFi that's why it will be a bit lower. Go with the highest number as that's what the router is actually receiving.

Not a wifi test. Laptop is wired for all tests.  Wifi is actually disabled. Xbox wired also

So basically the setup test on DumaOS registers close to my ISP speeds. Every other test kills my DL by almost 50%.

What should i be inputting into my CC speeds for the closet accuracy?

Approx tests with QOS off. Isp is - 1000/150

Duma Setup - 939/160

Duma Benchmark -450/140

Duma CC Auto detect - 500-700/120-140

Laptop Internet Speedtest by Ookla which i ping a local server - 220-300/ 145-158

Xbox speed test from settings menu- 960-1100/60-130

As you can see the discrepancy is ridiculous between tests, so hard to decide which is actually the best to choose

• Administrators

Ah you said previously your laptop wasn't able to connect via ethernet. You should input the highest speeds you're seeing as that is actually what the router is getting. Did you try the previous link for increasing speeds?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Ah you said previously your laptop wasn't able to connect via ethernet. You should input the highest speeds you're seeing as that is actually what the router is getting. Did you try the previous link for increasing speeds?

Hi Faser. That wasn't me.  It was the OP.

Anyway after a zillion tests, in my case anyway, using the routers setup wizard to check connection and speeds feels the best and gives me the highest values