XR500 solid amber internet light, was working fine for years, troubleshooting steps below

Hello, I have an XR500 with firmware 2.3.2.134. All of a sudden today without any changes to the network the Internet light is showing solid amber. Everything was working great for years. I can directly connect to the modem with my PC or another router and everything works fine (that's how I'm posting this message). I tried rebooting both the router and modem, swapping ethernet cables, factory resetting the router, and updating the firmware after the factory reset. Nothing works, the light remains amber, and my public IP in DumaOS still shows 0.0.0.0. Please advise.

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to? When you put the other router in did you need to change anything in network settings such as PPPoE/VLAN etc? Reboot the modem, wait 2 minutes then reboot the XR, wait 2 minutes and see if the internet works then.

Hi Fraser.

The modem is a Motorola SB6141.

I do not require PPPoE or anything similar. The old Asus router just worked without any configuration.

The network was working fine for years until this morning, and nothing was changed. I was just sitting here at my desk working when it happened. I have tried several power cycles with both the modem and the XR500. Any other ideas? Thanks.

When you pull power cables let both modem and router sit for like 2 minutes. Then 

1. power up modem first and let the lights stabilize/ modem resync with the isp

2. after modem has balanced out power up the xr500 and see if it connects to internet.

could be isp pushed an update to your modem.

30 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Good advice above, if that still doesn't work it might be worth setting static information on the XR WAN Settings to help point it in the right direction and see if that helps

I turned everything off for 2+ minutes, then started the modem, waited for it to finish, then started the router. Amber Internet light.

I got the old Asus up and running and copied the IP, mask, gateway, and DNS, and entered them all into the XR500 as a static address. Now the Internet light is white, but I cannot actually connect any of my devices (PC, phone, etc) to the Internet. They all say No Internet Connection.

Hold the reset button on back of router for about  20 seconds and let it reboot and see if you get a white internet light and start setup from scratch. I feel something is confused within the router and a factory reset might iron things out. 

from my experience with standard cable modems, the router needs to get correct information from the modem. It seems like something isn’t input correctly. The modem is doing its thing but I think the factory reset will help you. Good luck! 🍀 hope you get it to work over into tomorrow.

Hello folks, the problem occurred again today less than a week later. A factory reset fixed it, but I can't be performing a factory reset every week. I don't have anything unusual configured. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

On 3/12/2023 at 10:04 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I suspect your public IP is renewing every week and that's what is triggering the issue to happen, could you call your ISP and ask them to extend the public IP lease time?

Thanks Fraser. It's the same IP as last week. It seems more like something is up with the router. 

On the older routers by Netgear they used capacitors on the power supply side, they have a limited life. Newer routers by them dont, so they do have a limited life span sadly, so watch out for that capacitor if its starting to go on the blink.