Half of settings are gone if power is lost

W11cE

If i remove power from R1 it loses half of its settings. Settings that are not reset are for example: wifi, DHCP Lease (when device is seen again). Pretty much everything else is resetted and it gives the "tour" also.

Why is this so?

I use the button for restart, but sometimes R1 does these "beepless" restarts and then the only solution is to unplug the cable. Sometimes i need to just reorganize cables and i need to disconnect the power.

Are you saying that all settings are supposed to be saved every 1 hour? Because the settings it loses are days or weeks old, so those should have been autosaved already many times then.

• Netduma Staff

I use the button for restart, but sometimes R1 does these "beepless" restarts and then the only solution is to unplug the cable. Sometimes i need to just reorganize cables and i need to disconnect the power.

Are you saying that all settings are supposed to be saved every 1 hour? Because the settings it loses are days or weeks old, so those should have been autosaved already many times then.

Wait, so are you getting random restarts? If you are, could you check if they match the problems in this thread.

No, im not getting those.

Im getting those beepless restarts with the reboot button. Usually when tinkering around with VPN settings (also VPN settings are unaccessible without working dns, but thats another story). At that point i just think its better to unplug power if i cant reboot it properly with software.

• Netduma Staff

Ok, - that shouldn't happen. When you press the reboot button in Settings >> Miscellaneous it should definitely beep. When I can get access to the ticket system, I'll add the DNS thing to the ticket system as that explains a problem someone else was having I think. I'm not really sure where to go from here then, I think Fraser or Iain will have to look into it for you :)

I second what W11cE said. I had this same issue and did to realize I was not getting the beep until I factory reset my router. And I was having issues with the VPN functions at the time as well.

• Netduma Staff

I second what W11cE said. I had this same issue and did to realize I was not getting the beep until I factory reset my router. And I was having issues with the VPN functions at the time as well.

Yeah, you were the person who I thought was having the similar issue :) So did factory reseting fix it for you?

This wiped my VPN settings and R1 could not load VPN settings with the pc with unaccessible DNS server, not ever after R1 reboot. Changing DNS server to working one solved the problem.

Hey guys, not hijacking the thread or anything but I have similar problems... if my house loses power, like this morning we had a random power cut & the Duma loses most of my settings. This is the second time its happened now.

I had at least 25-35 people in my deny list last night after burning the midnight oil, the power cut happened this morning so I thought I'd check it again... ;(

I don't think its 'losing half its settings', mine seems to go back to a previous time. It sounds weird but before bed I disabled the Geo & put bk both congestion bars bk to 100% like I always do.

Now they are displaying 20%up & down and there is only 3 people in my deny list.

I thought it was a 'one off' but now its happened twice ?

• Netduma Staff

Hey guys, not hijacking the thread or anything but I have similar problems... if my house loses power, like this morning we had a random power cut & the Duma loses most of my settings. This is the second time its happened now.

I had at least 25-35 people in my deny list last night after burning the midnight oil, the power cut happened this morning so I thought I'd check it again... ;(

I don't think its 'losing half its settings', mine seems to go back to a previous time. It sounds weird but before bed I disabled the Geo & put bk both congestion bars bk to 100% like I always do.

Now they are displaying 20%up & down and there is only 3 people in my deny list.

I thought it was a 'one off' but now its happened twice ?

Settings are saved ~1 hour (although I think it could be less frequent than that). So if the power cut happened before the settings are hard saved then the ones made since the last saved would be lost.

Sorry Crossy but the settings were the virtualy the same the previous night, only difference was I added a few more laggers to the deny list.

What I meant was I have built up this database of bad hosts & only last night did I add a few more so the settings should be almost the same, I should have only lost the people I marked down as bad during last nights gaming sesh. After that (5am) I was watching Sly Sports news for an hour... the power cut happened around 10am.

• Netduma Staff

Sorry Crossy but the settings were the virtualy the same the previous night, only difference was I added a few more laggers to the deny list.

What I meant was I have built up this database of bad hosts & only last night did I add a few more so the settings should be almost the same, I should have only lost the people I marked down as bad during last nights gaming sesh. After that (5am) I was watching Sly Sports news for an hour... the power cut happened around 10am.

Ok, I understand. Where these the only settings that were lost?

No mate, the geo now says enabled. Ping says zero which was 32, algorithm is opposite, distribution has changed also. Misc settings say deep packet processing is ticked which shouldn't.

I do recognise that I used all of these settings previously when fine tuning the Duma as I ran into problems after day 1 but always try to sort out before posting.

• Netduma Staff

No mate, the geo now says enabled. Ping says zero which was 32, algorithm is opposite, distribution has changed also. Misc settings say deep packet processing is ticked which shouldn't.

I do recognise that I used all of these settings previously when fine tuning the Duma as I ran into problems after day 1 but always try to sort out before posting.

Ok, after getting all the settings sorted, can you go to Settings >> Miscellaneous and click 'Reboot Router'. Then see if when the router gets shut down via power-interupt, the settings stay or are reverted back :)

Ok, after getting all the settings sorted, can you go to Settings >> Miscellaneous and click 'Reboot Router'. Then see if when the router gets shut down via power-interupt, the settings stay or are reverted back :)

Ok, all settings put back to how I have them, rebooted & everything has saved as it should.

I'm gonna turn my power off from the mains panel in electric box just for experimental purposes... Should I try to replicate or leave it for now ?

I'll wait til you advise me anyway just in case... You're in command lol

• Netduma Staff

Ok, all settings put back to how I have them, rebooted & everything has saved as it should.

I'm gonna turn my power off from the mains panel in electric box just for experimental purposes... Should I try to replicate or leave it for now ?

I'll wait til you advise me anyway just in case... You're in command lol

If you want to test it, you can get the same results just by pulling the plug on the back of the Netduma. But if everything is working then maybe best to leave it. If you do try it though, at worse you'll have to put the settings back :)

I shut down all the power to the house Crossy, all settings remained the same except the geo filter size was a tiny bit larger, I always go bare minimum on distance then click the button by the location & zoom twice, it only goes to 525.68miles but after power loss it was 573.xx ???

Man, what a mind job, if I do get it to happen I'll let you know but now I'm stumped

I did hear the Duma reboot tone just but when power went this morning there was nothing, no sound.

Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. I didn't remember the exact distance so just put 'xx' as a random number, sorry again & thanks for the help, appreciated ;)

• Netduma Staff

Oh, no, sorry for the confusion. I didn't remember the exact distance so just put 'xx' as a random number, sorry again & thanks for the help, appreciated ;)

Ok, was just checking, I assumed not :) Well post back if it happens again but hopefully this has sorted it. Just so you know, pressing the reboot button in settings hard saves all the settings to the router which is why they did not disappear.

Archived