RPC errors STILL

fatal0Efx

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have firmwares that actually target this issue or am I just to randomly test different firmwares in hopes one of them will just work as expected?  I have no clue when the problem actually starts to occur.  I'm never in my router's interface.  I just leave it open in a chrome tab, that stays up for days/weeks.  The moment I need to get in there to play with something, is when I notice it's no longer working.

Do you not have any way to troubleshoot this while it's happening?  You've connected to my router remotely to troubleshoot something before.  Is that not possible here?

• Administrators

The firmware in Early Access has a lot of fixes/improvements, it's always best to try what is available to see if that helps, if it does then that reduces troubleshooting, if it doesn't then it gives a better place to start for troubleshooting. What you have just said however is most likely the reason why you're getting that error, the interface isn't meant to be open 24/7, it will be timing out and that will cause errors. Close the tab when you're not using it and open when you need it and I suspect it will work a lot better.

How does leaving the tab open in the background cause the R2 to completely go bonkers?  I understand if the browser did, but closing/reopening the browser has no effect. Plus it's not technically "open".  It's in the background behind other tabs.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, fatal0Efx said:

How does leaving the tab open in the background cause the R2 to completely go bonkers?  I understand if the browser did, but closing/reopening the browser has no effect. Plus it's not technically "open".  It's in the background behind other tabs.

The interface times out, when that happens it breaks the Remote Procedure Calls (RPC) that usually take place and shows the error. Once you've changed an option on the browser close the tab completely, when you want to use it again open it again and you shouldn't have an error.

When it times out, there's no other way to get it back than to restart the router?  I've never seen a browser session tank the service it was accessing before.  Usually the page just times out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 9:28 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

It should be okay if you refresh the page but the error may still appear, if you click ok it should go away

If this were true I wouldn't be worried about it as it would just be a nuisance.  The problem is, when this error starts to occur, my ability to use the geo fence page completely goes away until the router is rebooted.  This is not OK.

9 hours ago, fatal0Efx said:

If this were true I wouldn't be worried about it as it would just be a nuisance.  The problem is, when this error starts to occur, my ability to use the geo fence page completely goes away until the router is rebooted.  This is not OK.

Can you not click OK to get it to go away? Out of interest, when was the last time you factory reset the R2?

On 1/26/2023 at 10:00 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Can you not click OK to get it to go away? Out of interest, when was the last time you factory reset the R2?

When I click OK, it comes back immediately in an endless loop.  I factory reset the last time I had this issue, as well as when I got this latest firmware which was hopeful to fix it.

7 hours ago, fatal0Efx said:

When I click OK, it comes back immediately in an endless loop.  I factory reset the last time I had this issue, as well as when I got this latest firmware which was hopeful to fix it.

OK, thanks.

What device(s) do you have added to Geo-filter? Could you try reserving these devices IP addresses from Network Settings -> LAN -> DHCP and also make sure they've got a name in Device Manager. Then remove and re-add them from Geo-filter if they're already added.

Let me know if that helps.

14 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK, thanks.

What device(s) do you have added to Geo-filter? Could you try reserving these devices IP addresses from Network Settings -> LAN -> DHCP and also make sure they've got a name in Device Manager. Then remove and re-add them from Geo-filter if they're already added.

Let me know if that helps.

Just a single device, my Xbox.  Has been DHCP reserved since the router was installed (I don't like IPs changing) and has had a name in device manager for just about as long.   FYI.

image.png.4f3c3bed7e16748c794bbce4ae44a92a.png

image.png.7f17dffa97eefc1d8a2c495512ee3e30.png

image.png.cf9ecd96e8e0338ba5e7a03b7b0d7390.png

OK, well changing those settings has triggered all sorts of issues.  Lost network connectivity, but finally came back, but now my PC cannot resolve DNS through the router AGAIN.  This is an old issue that has plagued me for the longest time but has not reoccurred in months, but now it's back!  I mean seriously?!?!

Note:  In the images below you'll see that the router is pointing at the DNS servers that work if I directly use them, but the router is "refusing" the DNS queries.  This router is a nightmare.

image.png.f6eadf6718f14e647300dd50bbbdb324.png

image.png.a56b36d904138e7629e6de0929eada82.png

image.png.e34000bbbc4a7e4ed26b068d2fbc10cd.png

Well that's good news.  I don't understand your ask.   If I'm using static DNS on the client and not the router then it would for sure not happen again.  

While I'm thinking about DNS, it would be nice if we had an option to set DHCP options, e.g. pushing specific DNS servers down to the clients.