XR500 IPv6 /56

In particular, if I switch my XR500 from IPv4 to IPv6 /56 (not sure if dual stack is supported) will all the features on the XR500 support IPv6 using BT's /56 address block.

for example.

• Geo-Filter
  • DNS
  • DHCP client (Stateless)

Thanks

As an update for anybody wondering if the XR500 with Firmware Version 2.3.2.134 supports IPv6 /56 (BT) for use in the UK , then the answer for myself was no.

Did have limited success with 6to4 tunnel though it's not native IPv6.

Hopefully Netduma team will add this to the list for the next DumaOS release so that it is suitable for UK IPv6 /56,  for Netgear to address there side of course 😉

Merry Xmas 2022 🎅

On 12/15/2022 at 2:06 PM, UK Sentinel said:

As an update for anybody wondering if the XR500 with Firmware Version 2.3.2.134 supports IPv6 /56 (BT) for use in the UK , then the answer for myself was no.

Did have limited success with 6to4 tunnel though it's not native IPv6.

Hopefully Netduma team will add this to the list for the next DumaOS release so that it is suitable for UK IPv6 /56,  for Netgear to address there side of course 😉

Merry Xmas 2022 🎅

Hey Sentinel,  Does the XR500 have an option to select Native IPV6 in the IPV6 setup?  If not thats strange that they dont. As alot of ISP run some sort of dual stack.. I think the last time I had my XR500 hooked up it was 6to4.. 

What happens exactly for you that it doesnt work correctly?

Thanks!

Zippy.

Options for IPv6 where .

• Auto Detect
  • Auto Config
  • 6to4 Tunnel
  • 6rd 
  • PassThrough
  • Fixed
  • DHCP
  • PPPoE

Access to router and internet was loss after changing from IPv4 to IPv6 which does supports dual IP stack.

Alas  6to4 did work, but is not native IPv6, usual Netgear issues with IPv6 /56 for UK,

'Settings: IPv6 -> Method: PPPoE -> use same login details as IPv4'

FYI: Orbi does work with /56 so I read, 😂

As a follow on after a few more hours playing with settings, using 'Settings: IPv6 -> Method: PPPoE -> use same login details as IPv4' I seem to have IPv6 working now, the item I changed,  is that for PPPoE > use same login details as IPv4, I originally manually entered my IPv4  login details, which did not work, but when I selected the use same login details as IPv4 PPPoE checkbox, this enabled the router to connect to the Internet etc. 

Early days yet, but looks promising, now to test Geo-Filter etc 👍

So for those that are interested, these are the two IP addresses I see when I access the internet by two separate devices and check with 'whatismyipaddress.com'.

(first 64 bits replaced as they were the same hexadecimal number)

Laptop:       0000:0000:0000:0000:b52d:77ba:b39f:ae1d

iPhone        0000:0000:0000:0000:68e4:6bb8:807a:9db4

So the Netgear XR500 is actually giving me an IPv6 /64 PD (prefix length) and given BT supports only IPv6 /56, which is interesting, but does seem to work still and I assume the /56 prefix allocated by BT actually gives you 256 /64 subnets 'most interesting'