R2 Router - DL & Up speeds low

Deasha

hey mate, I just tested all the widths, 3:45 pm local time. Shouldn’t have been much internet traffic 

5ghz - width 20MHz = 31 Dwn and 21 up 

5ghz - width 40MHz = 82 Dwn and 24 up 

5ghz - width 80MHz =105 dwn and 22 up 

All changes mentioned were applied before testing. See below  

•  Disabled Mirror Mode, gave 2.4/5GHz different names and applied
  • Experiment with the widths to see what gives better results(as seen above)
  • Router is in an elevated position - wood surface
  • Tried my best to separate it from any other wires/devices
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

Where do we go from here? 

5 hours ago, Deasha said:

I can confirm I’m still getting speeds of around 900 down and 45 up over wired connection 

Out of interest, could you now try connecting to the 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz and see if the speeds are similar there from the same distance?

Are these tests with QoS still disabled?

Do you have any IoT devices, particularly any that are nearby the R2?

I just ran a 2.4 GHz test from the exact same location and came up with 66 down and 41 up

These tests were all done with QOS disabled from the drop down box on the top left

I do have some devices near the router that I can’t move. However I was achieving 400-500 down on my XR500 over 5GHz wifi from the exact same position two days ago when I was doing some testing.

Devices near by is a Phillips hue bridge 2.0, security system and the NBN modem 

I’ve also done some testing with Phillips hue and security system unplugged but didn’t get any noticeable results 

3 hours ago, Deasha said:

I just ran a 2.4 GHz test from the exact same location and came up with 66 down and 41 up

These tests were all done with QOS disabled from the drop down box on the top left

I do have some devices near the router that I can’t move. However I was achieving 400-500 down on my XR500 over 5GHz wifi from the exact same position two days ago when I was doing some testing.

Devices near by is a Phillips hue bridge 2.0, security system and the NBN modem 

I’ve also done some testing with Phillips hue and security system unplugged but didn’t get any noticeable results 

Thanks for trying.

Do you see a further drop in speeds if you remove the antennas from the R2, or do results seem to be the same? If you look inside the connector for the antenna and compare it to the connector on the R2, does one connector appear 'male' and the other 'female'? Or do they both seem the same?

G’day mate, 

I just gave it a crack. My baseline test with nothing changed came out at 217 down and 45 up this morning, 5:15 am local time. 

I checked the antennae’s and looked inside the connectors. Looks like the antennae’s have the male components and on the router itself the connectors have female. See attached 

when I ran a speed test from the same location as baseline without the antennas it came out as 205 down and 45 up 

9D88FC64-8E12-4159-AA67-EA26357FA61D.thumb.jpeg.03e3b05550c11cdafdeff628b0f49946.jpegB8999196-A4A4-4DC9-AD23-DA0B5CEACDBD.thumb.jpeg.11d85a9829aae97e8e2894f09aeae267.jpeg

Testing above was standing next to router

Without the antennas the connection at distance is worse, speeds drop more significantly  down to about 136 down and 45 up 10+ meters away

Hey mate, 

With QOS on (normal 5GHz wifi) 5am 

205 down  - 44 up

QOS off 

Normal 5GHz wifi 

Average around 245 - 250 down - 44 up 

Dropped as low as 146 down in some tests 

Guest network 5GHZ 

Averaged around 250 down - 41 up 

Hey mate, 

I just finished the testing with no luck. 

It's 6:54 pm local time. 

Ran 3 base line tests for each:

Without DMZ 

1 - 137 down and 22 up 

2 - 157 down and 13 up 

3 - 114 down and 13 up 

With DMZ 

1 - 83 down and 21 up 

2 - 111 down and 13 up 

3 - 113 down with 20 up 

That's frustrating, do you still use the XR500 for anything else? Perhaps you could try connecting the XR500 to the R2, then put it into AP mode from it's settings. If you then connect devices to the AP, check if you get the Wi-Fi speeds you'd expect?

It’s been super frustrating, just doesn’t want to play nice 

I can give it a crack tomorrow,  how exactly do I set it up?

I’ve never tried AP mode before. Do I just connect an Ethernet cable from a port 1-4 on the R2 to the yellow internet port on the XR500 and log into the XR500 interface and swap it over to AP mode? Anything else?

And will I still have full function of the R2 and all its features for my gaming device? 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Deasha said:

It’s been super frustrating, just doesn’t want to play nice 

I can give it a crack tomorrow,  how exactly do I set it up?

I’ve never tried AP mode before. Do I just connect an Ethernet cable from a port 1-4 on the R2 to the yellow internet port on the XR500 and log into the XR500 interface and swap it over to AP mode? Anything else?

And will I still have full function of the R2 and all its features for my gaming device? 

Yes that's exactly how you do it, nothing else needed. Yes you will, any devices connected to the XR in AP mode will get their IPs from the R2 and so will appear on the R2 to add to the Geo-Filter, TP etc so full functionality.

Hey mate, managed to get the XR500 set up as an AP 

Ran a few speed tests from the R2 as a baseline.  Was getting 100- 130 down, 15 -16 up

(local time of tests, 10:30 am, Saturday) 

With the XR500 (AP mode)

Getting 295 - 315 down to 21-22 up 

Thanks for the suggestion, really appreciate it. 

Sorry to bother you again mate, I am trying to tune my QOS and I keep getting this message any time I’m trying to auto set up bandwidth speeds or do the ping optimization tool. This is for both wireless and wired. Also tried different web browsers and clear cache for them. Is this an issue on my end or is there currently problems with the remote server? 

I have done a full reset, disabled and enabled QOS and disconnected my access point and tried the same but still no luck? 

While is displays this message below I can actively search the internet and run speed tests on third party websights no problem. I can even run a benchmark test on duma OS So I’m definitely connected to the internet

33F8E419-3F9E-434E-8B5C-10129EF72B6E.jpeg

It was really strange. I could access all websites and run Speedtest’s no problems with great results. Steaming YouTube and Netflix wasn’t a problem either.

It was working previously. These features also were not working on the duma app at this time as well.

I monitored it every few hours and the auto ping feature came back online after 3 hours or so. The set bandwidth speed feature didn’t come back online until about an 4 hours later.

Only thing I can think of was must have been some maintence going on your servers 

I ran a quick check this morning and it’s all functioning correctly