R2 Router - DL & Up speeds low

Deasha

Hi Netduma, 
I was just wondering if you could please help me with something. I recently purchased an R2 Router from you this week, I’ve set everything up and honesty love your products and OS. But I am having problems with my download and upload speeds. I’m getting really low downloads and uploads both wireless and wired. This is with your OS network speed test as well as other third party websites. When I first set up my router in the wizard and ran the speed test and it was what I believe to be accurate with 800 down and 40 up. The scores it’s giving me now is 70 down and 9 up. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you so much for the your hard work and products. Looking forward to hearing back 

Dean

Here is a few examples of this, these tests were run about 30 seconds apart. It finally came up with a result that I think it’s accurate (on the left) and then 30 seconds after I ran the same test and with a totally different result (on the right).

Most of the time my speeds are something resembling the result on the right. Thought this might help explain it further. See attached

9479BBE2-191F-47BE-AE1F-98952E6EDE4A.jpeg

44367439-E633-4220-A2C0-5F80E86A8F7C.jpeg

AC919248-D5DC-4B43-BACD-51C6D2888FF2.jpeg

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. I just got home from work and finished running some testing. 
I ran three tests for the following, 5ghz Wi-Fi, port 1, port 2, port 3 and port 4. QOS was turned off for all testing.  I ran a speed Ookla (third party speed test), Netduma QOS auto detect bandwidth speed test and the Netduma benchmark test for each. I chucked them into a table so it’s easier to understand. Please see attached 

The Wi-Fi speeds seem slow to me considering I pay for 1000 Mbps down and 50Mbps up. On my XR500 over Wi-Fi I could be around 400 down, with way better consistency. Running wired I could get up to 917 down. 

Going over all the data there is massive inconsistency with any test run on Duma Os which makes it impossible to use any QOS feature becuase it varies so much. And my speed over wired using Ookla is only getting around 250 - 300 Mbps. Seems very low for wired

Thank you in advance, 

DeanNetDuma R2 Speed Test.pdf

Thanks for that, that's really helpful.

Were all Ookla tests run from the Macbook? Are all devices seeing this much of a reduction in speeds?

Do you know if your ISP requires you to use PPPoE, VLAN or DHCP identifiers in order to get connected? If you're not familiar with these terms, it's likely you don't require them.

I just tried hooking up my old ISP router and can’t seem to be finding a WAN IP. I have to head off to work, when I get home I’ll get it up and running properly and run the test. 

Is there any other tests or things you would like me to try after work as well? This way I can get back to you during your work hours with a bit more info 

• Administrators

If you're seeing the same issues then the ISP router/modem or ISP would be the issue, if it's perfectly consistent then I would like you to try the Early Access firmware, upgrade to that, after 5 minutes factory reset and see if it's any better. It has a lot of fixes/improvements. You'll need to sign up here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/39415-introducing-early-access/ you can do that at any time from anywhere but if you could do the sign up within the next ~5 hours then I can approve you ready for you to try it if needed.

Hey mate, just got home and got the XR500 working, during peak times I was consistently getting 430-500 Mbps down and 36-40 up over wifi. And on a wired connection I was consistently getting 600-700 down and 40-46 up. All tests were done from the same location in the house on the same devices as yesterdays tests. Also done with Ookla speed test. 

The speed is pretty much doubled on the XR500 compared to the R2. 

Going to go ahead with the early access firmware. I’ll check back in with you once it’s all set up 

Cheers, 

Dean

Checking back in. 

Firstly did you have any tips for losing WAN connection when you reboot routers? I’ve had a shocker with the R2 and XR500 wirh trying to get them to detect the internet. Any tips would be greatly appreciated 

Ok, so new firmware is installed, I haven’t set up any QOS, ping optimizations or network speeds. I ran my first ookla test on wired and got 884 down and 36 up which is fantastic! I thought we finally fixed it! But I then ran a 5Ghz wifi test and got 200 down 36 up which is low considering the XR500 was around 430-500. I then went back and tried a few more tests, wifi dropped to as low as 95 down and 15 up, but consistently got around 200 down. I went back and tired some more wired. And it was consistently getting around 350-400 down  and 43 up? 

Seems like initially it was working where it should be, but went right back to being around the same results as before the update? I’m stumped. It is an hour or two latter in the night so maybe there is more internet traffic, but going from 884 down to 350-400 down on the same wired set up seems odd

Hey mate, I just stumbled across something very interesting. I was trying to break down why my result was so good at the beginning  so looked into everything that possibly could have affected it and I remembered seeing a pop up for apples iCloud private relay turning on. Basically it hides your IP address. So I toggled it off and my wired  speeds went up to 850 -915 down and 44 up constantly over wired!?

5GHz wifi was unchanged still getting very low speeds averaging around 100 down and 22-25 up

Me again, haha I’m so sorry for all the messages! Wifi speeds have progressively gotten worse, can’t get higher than 77down. Wired is still 800+ which is fantastic! 

I tired turning off a few of apples settings in wifi to see if I could emulate what I did with the wired but no luck 

1 hour ago, Deasha said:

Me again, haha I’m so sorry for all the messages! Wifi speeds have progressively gotten worse, can’t get higher than 77down. Wired is still 800+ which is fantastic! 

I tired turning off a few of apples settings in wifi to see if I could emulate what I did with the wired but no luck 

The same/similar settings are also enabled by default in the Wi-Fi settings. If you view the options/settings on the R2 Wi-Fi network on your Apple device, you should be able to disable 'Private Addresses' and the other similar sounding settings there (I can't remember exactly what they call them now). Can you try disabling those and see if that helps? Apologies if those are the settings you're referring to having already disabled above.

I disabled all of the settings relating to that stuff in the network tab, in the wifi tab and under the iCloud tab as well as settings in safari it’s self. They were everywhere

Also did a power cycle on the router and my device. I seem to be getting better results,  I can hit around 215 down at the moment.  I also just ran a test on my work laptop (acer) and it seems to be getting around 50b more than apple devices.

What do you think about getting around 215 down standing next to the router on 5ghz? I’m thinking something’s still not quite right looking at the xR500 results. I know it’s more of a powerful machine, but it’s significantly lower 

1 hour ago, Deasha said:

I disabled all of the settings relating to that stuff in the network tab, in the wifi tab and under the iCloud tab as well as settings in safari it’s self. They were everywhere

Also did a power cycle on the router and my device. I seem to be getting better results,  I can hit around 215 down at the moment.  I also just ran a test on my work laptop (acer) and it seems to be getting around 50b more than apple devices.

What do you think about getting around 215 down standing next to the router on 5ghz? I’m thinking something’s still not quite right looking at the xR500 results. I know it’s more of a powerful machine, but it’s significantly lower 

As you say, the XR500 is more powerful so I would expect to see a difference, but probably not quite that much.

Could you perhaps try downloading a Wi-Fi Analyser and use that to see the least congested Wi-Fi channels in your area?Then, switch the R2 to use those channels in the Wi-Fi settings.

There's a good Wi-Fi Analyser on the Microsoft store called Wi-Fi Analyser, unfortunately I'm not too sure on the offerings from Apple's store.

I’ll give that a crack after work 

I did take note that when I ran the 5GHz wifi testing on my XR500 I was using the same channel and Freqiency bands as the R2. I was running 80hz frequency and channel 44 on both

Hey mate, managed to run the test over breakfast. My channel over 5GHz is very isolated, shouldn’t be any issues stemming from that. I’m the blue all the way to the left 

5C9945CC-7D11-42D4-8DFE-39CD7A57B4A4.jpeg

• Administrators

Try these suggestions and see if it helps:

• Sounds like you may have done this already but if not disable Mirror Mode, give 2.4/5GHz different names and apply
  • Experiment with the widths to see what gives better results
  • Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  • Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proximity ~3 feet if possible
  • Set the antennae to this position _ | | _

I’ve already disabled mirror mode and labeled each network 2.5ghz and 5ghz

Router is currently elevated on the top shelf made of wood 

there is no wireless devices near the router. Unfortunately the router does sit with some other wires with my wired security system. When I get home I can try moving it 3ft away 

antennas were set in that position for all testing, I read someone else’s trouble shooting before getting in contact