Anything on my ISP's end that I could get changed to prevent occasional disconnects?

So i've definitely ruled out having any issue on my end regarding wiring, and have changed everything recommended in netduma's setup, but keep having a random disconnect from net every other day or so.   It's not a long disconnect, but it's enough to kick me out of a game of CoD i'll have going.   Which is a really big RIP when you're trying to high round in zombies. 

So i'm wondering if there is anything i could ask my IP, to have them check or change that they might have as an option on their end that would potentially help with this, etc.  

Basically, when i call them, i just need to know what to ask for, or about that could prevent any kind of disconnect from internet, even the smallest one. 

1 hour ago, lockit14 said:

So i've definitely ruled out having any issue on my end regarding wiring, and have changed everything recommended in netduma's setup, but keep having a random disconnect from net every other day or so.   It's not a long disconnect, but it's enough to kick me out of a game of CoD i'll have going.   Which is a really big RIP when you're trying to high round in zombies. 

So i'm wondering if there is anything i could ask my IP, to have them check or change that they might have as an option on their end that would potentially help with this, etc.  

Basically, when i call them, i just need to know what to ask for, or about that could prevent any kind of disconnect from internet, even the smallest one. 

Do you know if the disconnects still occur when you're connected directly to the ISP instead of the R1?

What's the make and model of the modem? Perhaps we can check up on that before you call your ISP.

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Do you know if the disconnects still occur when you're connected directly to the ISP instead of the R1?

What's the make and model of the modem? Perhaps we can check up on that before you call your ISP.

My setup is 

Fiber gateway box (from ISP) > ethernet cable directly from fiber box into XR1000 > ethernet cable from XR1000 directly into PC 

No other equipment anywhere throughout the setup. 

It specifically occurred last night as i was walking out the door for work, so I can post logs in about an hour if that would help.  

The router hasn't been restarted or anything since, so assuming it would have it in the logs i could upload soon as i get home 

Ah OK yeah a log might be helpful if you can grab one.

Could you also please try going to the DumaOS interface -> Settings -> Setup -> LAN Setup and set the minimum DHCP value to .100.

After that, reserve an IP address for each device on the network. Make sure you give them IPs from .2 to .99.

See if you're still having disconnections after that.

22 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Ah OK yeah a log might be helpful if you can grab one.

Could you also please try going to the DumaOS interface -> Settings -> Setup -> LAN Setup and set the minimum DHCP value to .100.

After that, reserve an IP address for each device on the network. Make sure you give them IPs from .2 to .99.

See if you're still having disconnections after that.

image.thumb.png.3e0d052fc80382a05a386e428bea893a.png i've been had it like this, which if i'm correct is how you're suggesting it should be

also, the logs only show from the point i cut on my PC this morning once i got home. 

i'm not sure why i can't get logs to show further, also after not being active on the dumaOS page for a few moments, it automatically logs me out, and anytime that happens it only shows logs once again starting from when i log back on 

• Administrators

Yes that's correct, although you'll want to set reserved IPs for each device. Are you looking at the logs in Settings or on the System Information page?

You'll probably see the same uptime on the System Information page, can you confirm that?

i was looking at both.  

Decided to update firmware, and now gonna be fully resetting, so will re-set it all up.  

Just wondering why it's so important to set IP's for all devices btw?  Since it's purely the PC i won't to avoid any and all interruptions on 

log-1669128594689.txtthis was the log from my system information page 

But just in general, if i wanted to c ontact my ISP to make sure they are handling or routing my internet correctly, is there anything (generally) that would be worth mentioning or checking on or having them potentially change?   Like is there anything on an ISP's end that would be most common that could cause any kind of interruption to a game that's going for days? 

• Administrators

Interesting, thanks for the log, what is the model of the ISP gateway? What settings have you changed in the Settings pages? Have you changed DMZ, port forwarding etc?

Could you unplug the gateway for 10 minutes, plug in, wait 2 minutes then reboot the XR and see if it happens again please?

I have a feeling it may not be on the ISP side.

@Netduma Liamlog-1669836723840.txt including log.   game disconnected a little after 4 AM this morning, between 4 and 5.  

EDIT: Actually, the router is an hour behind for some reason.  i noticed the log only starts at 3:13 AM (which is 4:14) and that's when the disconnect happened

So kinda useless seeing as it doesn't show anything up to or when the disconnect happpens 

On 11/22/2022 at 8:40 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's correct, although you'll want to set reserved IPs for each device. Are you looking at the logs in Settings or on the System Information page?

You'll probably see the same uptime on the System Information page, can you confirm that?

Wait, so if my WiFi was showing it had been up 6 days without issue, yet my wired connection was only up for a short bit (hour-few hours) then wouldn't that mean i could have been connected without issue to wifi, without disconnects for 6 days?  

The logs look as those they're cut short, there's no sign the router rebooted that I can see.

Can you try going to Settings -> Monitoring -> Logs and see if they show any more information around the time of the disconnection there?

Have you still got your IP reservations set as we mentioned earlier in the topic?

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2022 at 4:31 AM, Netduma Liam said:

The logs look as those they're cut short, there's no sign the router rebooted that I can see.

Can you try going to Settings -> Monitoring -> Logs and see if they show any more information around the time of the disconnection there?

Have you still got your IP reservations set as we mentioned earlier in the topic?

Here's a log file, and I had a disconnection around 5-20 mins before downloading the file. 

Also, I have my router time zone set correctly, but notice in the log that the times definitely don't match up.   For instance it's got times well past 1400 hours, (2 PM) which is what it is currently, not sure if that is important or anything. 

Or if logs purely in regards to the top/bottom being most recent event and steadily follows that method of loggin 

log-1673816928234.txt

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What time did the disconnect occur roughly in the log so we can pinpoint the entries

The times in the log aren't accurate in comparison to actual time.   

It's was 1400 hours when I sent the log file, yet log file has events listed with time way past that. 

The disconnect happened about 10 mins before I downloaded the log file.  About 15 mins before I posted that response ^^^.  For me it was 2 PM mountain time.   But log file isn't appearing as Mountain time, so I haven't any clue what time it would be listed as on it since the times are off 

There doesn't appear to be anything in there that suggests a problem, apart from one feature not responding to a monitoring app. Although that feature shouldn't bare any relevance to a disconnection. It's worth also noting we're expecting to start testing a new XR1000 firmware soon, there have been multiple issues identified and resolved with the version you're running currently.

I'll pass your logs on to a developer to see if they can see anything we can't.