Need help - QoS/bufferbloat not working in forced or auto-enabled XR500

To be honest, and I realize those at NetDuma have been trying to help, I'm extremely frustrated with how poorly this router is now working.  Geolocate doesn't work, and rarely shows anything.  Ping Heatmap doesn't work for MW2 or any other game.  And now I've noticed that QoS doesn't work in any way. I'm really at my wit's end trying to deal with this device that's supposed to help gaming, and not add more frustrations. I bought the router to help with the one online game I play, Call of Duty.  I don't know if it's a coincidence, but it seems to not work at all for any task I try to assign with MW2, on PC while working fine on PS5 for Cold War. 

Now, the QoS doesn't work at all. I've recently changed from gaming on the PS5 to the PC, and while I had issues with the PS5 and this router, nothing at all seems to work on the PC.  The settings (gaming console, gaming/voice) were done as a suggestion from a NetDuma person in another topic which I can't find or I would have added to that one.  So, apologies if I'm creating an unnecessary topic.  I've tried to use "WAN" as well seeing a suggestion somewhere online from a NetDuma person and it didn't work. I've tried most of the variations.

My normal bandwidth is anywhere from 500-1000 mb download and 35 mb upload.  I have the QoS settings at 20mb and 5mb currently to show a good disparity, and because that's what's helped games play smoothly in the past with little lag compensation. However, I've used 80 percent of my speed, and let NetDuma set my speed as well, and get the same results. 

The first image shows the connection forced, which I attempted to do because it wasn't working with auto enabled.  I'll just post this one photo, but the "C" connection with similar speed is what I get for 1) forced, 2) auto enabled logged into CoD and 3) auto enabled actually in game. 

The second image is the QoS connections which include the PC on which I'm playing.  

Some additional information.  I use Bitdefender anti-virus and it always gives me a notification that the site (192.168.1.1) is not trusted.  When I whitelist the site in Bitdefender, the program does not work for some reason.   I get a JSON error, I believe it's called.  I've tried disabling Bitdefender anti-virus and I have the same issues.

I have Ad Block Plus and Disabled HTML5 Autoplay as chrome extensions, and both have this site whitelisted.  I've turned off both completely with the same issues.

Edit: No heatmap still for any game after factory reset.  Still setting up everything else.

Screenshot (47).png

Screenshot (46).png

On Geo-filter, can you share a screenshot as to how you've currently got Geo-filter configured?

For QoS, could you please disable the DumaOS classified games rule. Have you got your speeds set correctly in DumaOS? I.e, have you set them to ~650 Download, 40 upload?

Can you also please set Download Congestion Control to ~40%, and upload to around 70-80%, then set Congestion Control to 'Always'.

Can you then run a Connection Benchmark test and send over a screenshot of the results?

For BitDefender you may also need to whitelist routerlogin.net. 

For Ping Heatmap, that's an issue on our end and we're working on updating MW2 today so you can see more servers.

for pc i'm using tcp optimizer settings here gaming tweaks / win10 tcpip tweaks / network adapter optimization .

for QoS i'm using forced too, disabled dumaos classified games and set entry for cod (tcpudp 3074:27036 range), frosbite and unreal games too (thats 3) and game console for playstation.

in geo filter i'm using an entry for pc with cod profile strict mode enable and fast search disable, put the radius to minimum in the ocean and set ping assist to 28ms (its mine) or less.

in trafic controller i'm using 3 priorities 1- pc ps5 2- media tv  and 3- all the rest.

my ping heatmap doesn't work too

voila hope i help you

I'll do this in a couple posts because it's a lot of information.  I can't whitelist 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net because I get the following error.  When I continue to the site, it doesn't connect.

Image 1 is how I have it whitelisted.

Image 2 shows the error I get. When I continue, it doesn't load.

Thanks for the help, by the way. Very frustrated.

Screenshot (54).png

Screenshot (55).png

I'm not able to run a connection test. It times out.  This occurred before I factory reset the router as well.  Same issue after. When I detect speeds in QoS, it sets my speed around 320mb down and 36-37mb up. My up is capped at 35 usually and has been pretty spot on in previous testing before today.

Image 1 is geofilter, strict mode on.  Fast search not enabled, but I usually have that enabled when it's working.

Image 2 and 3 are my QoS settings prior to setting them at 40/70 percent and doing connection test.

Image 4 is my connection test timing out.

I assume that I shouldn't be getting any results for any other games as well in ping heat map.

Also, I was advised to set the PC as a game console.  Are those settings right for a PC?

Thanks again.

Edit: to add detect speed information.

Geo1.png

QoS1.png

QoS2.png

ConnectionTimedOut.png

Edited by Nuschler22
Detect speed information

1 hour ago, Nuschler22 said:

I'll do this in a couple posts because it's a lot of information.  I can't whitelist 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net because I get the following error.  When I continue to the site, it doesn't connect.

Image 1 is how I have it whitelisted.

Image 2 shows the error I get. When I continue, it doesn't load.

Thanks for the help, by the way. Very frustrated.

I don't think that's anything to do with BitDefender, that's probably just the browser noticing it's using HTTP. If you click 'Advanced' the 'Continue anyway' or whatever it says, you should see that any more.

For Geo-filter, what's the actual problem you're having? Is it not blocking anything or are you unable to get into a game when you search for one?

Your settings for QoS look good for the most part, though I would suggest manually overriding what the auto-detect speeds gives you if there's any doubt and set them to what you realistically expect to be getting from your ISP.

Can you go to Ping Heatmap and click the submenu in the top left of the map, then resync cloud? Do you get any errors? Are you able to ping any games other than MW2 after that?

Are you getting any errors in Connection Benchmark? What do they read if so?

Geo filter isn't working.   It has worked, then stops working and I can't find a game. 

QoS doesn't work at all. I've done speed tests while the game is actually playing and it doesn't work at all.  It's not throttling in any way.

I've done the resync thing numerous times in every menu I could find resync available. I've reset the router, the modem. I've gone to the trouble of resetting the router to default which was a huge pain because I have a lot of things attached to it.

QoS makes a big difference in CoD, and when it's not working, it's noticeable.  As the pictures and my posts explained, I have "C" rated bufferbloat with every setting I've tried, and it's very noticeable in game. I'm used to having A+ with previous iterations of Call of Duty.

OK, so the game client is probably trying to get to an authentication server that Geo-filter is blocking. When you're stuck and can't find a game, there should be a blocked icon on the Geo-filter map. If you manually allow that, do you then get into a game?

For QoS, are the packet counters next to the rule you've added for you PC increasing when you're playing a game? Were you running the speed-tests from the same device that you were playing on? Can you try from a mobile phone instead or something?

Ping Heatmap is updated for CoD now, resync again and you should see it.

First again, thanks for all your help Liam. 

It normally does show the blocked icon as well as all the other icons outside the circle when I've played on console. It doesn't show it on PC when I'm attempting to do it now.  All that comes up are random servers and usually only one or two.  I usually get a single user inside the circle as well.  Just roughly, about 10 percent of the time, the game connects within the circle (which is in the Chicago area and I'm in Arizona).

For QoS, the packet counters do increase.  I have my speed set as 500/35 with the rule allowing only 20mb and 5mb, and it doesn't work for any settings including my usual 80/80 setting.  When I run the speed test, it's from the same device, my PC, while the game is working.  In the past, this shows the throttling working fine.  I can try it from a mobile phone the next time.  Just curious, though. Shouldn't it restrict all traffic when it's in "always" mode?  And shouldn't it restrict it when I'm doing a test on my PC while currently in a game on the PC?

I've resynced the cloud in geofilter (shows applying settings), QoS (spins and resets) and device manager (does nothing). Keep in mind that I've also done a factory reset on the router with the same results before and after the reset.

No part of heat ping map is working for any game.  It takes about 30-45 seconds for the "Ping" to show up.  Otherwise, it's greyed out.  Pinging does nothing and the "Ping" just goes grey again.

Thanks again.

• Administrators

I think part of the problems you're having is that the interface is being connected to using HTTPS, you want to force that to use HTTP instead (you may need to stop Chrome doing that). Once you've done that and are connected to HTTP, re-test the issues you're having and see if they're still present. You may also want to contact Bitdefender about your troubles with whitelisting the addresses.

What is the model of the modem/router connected to the XR and how is that setup? Are you using PPPoE/VLAN/DHCP identifiers to get a connection? 

Go to the Device Manager and click the menu then remove all offline devices, also reset Bandwidth Allocation completely and leave it at its defaults. Are you playing over WiFi on PC or ethernet? If ethernet change your Traffic Prioritization rule to Normal instead of Gaming/Voice.

I believe it might be all working now. Thank you very much for your help, Liam.   I wrote the below as I was testing everything. I'm going to leave it just in case I have issues again. 

Thanks again!

Ping heat map and connection test indeed work on Micro Edge which I'll use from now on.  I was unable to get Chrome to stop forcing a htttps connection.  Thank you!

My modem is a Netgear CM1000 hardwired to XR500 direct to PC with an ethernet cable.

The VLAN not checked, DHCP is checked under LAN settings. I don't know what PPPoE is and I searched quite a bit where to find in the router. If it's in the modem, there is no settings that can be changed in the modem itself on my end.  I have Cox cable in Arizona, so maybe by that you'll know from what I'm reading.  Sorry I couldn't be more help there.

I've set the PC to "Games Console" and "Normal" in traffic prioritization in the QoS settings.