Fifa 23 - Packet loss and Jitter

Oren Tasuna

Hi,

I decided to give my Netduma router another try after long time using my Asus router. I installed the new version (the new features seems very nice), and my setup is:

• Latest version installed, did a factory reset after installation
  • Wi-Fi disabled (both 5g and 2.4g)
  • IPV6 disabled
  • UPnP disabled
  • MTU 1492 (got this from my ISP for my PPPoE connection)
  • Playstation 5, laptop and Asus router connected to Netduma 2 router, all wired
  • Playstation 5 set to DMZ
  • QOS enabled, congestion control is set to 80% DL/UL (my base speeds before congestion control is 800DL/250UL, I have Fiber internet), gaming and work from home protocols prioritized (guess this was done by the installation wizard)
  • Geo filter set to filtering for the server I'm used to connect to (Italy, ~46ms)

I played a couple of games and saw (in EA connection quality report tool) that my packet loss has increased from 0.0% - 0.02% with Asus router up to ~0.25% and Jitter increased from 0.0% - 0.01% up to 0.6% with Netduma and the above settings. Ping also slightly increased but I guess it is less critical (increased by ~2ms). Ping and Jitter increase may seem low but it was noticeable in game.

Anything I can set/configure to reduce Jitter and Packet loss? 

Thanks, Oren

The R2 is connected to a DLink adapter from fiber to Lan, which is connected directly to the wall (meaning there is no router between R2 and my ISP).

Only my Playstation 5 and my Asus router are wired connected to R2; all other devices (including the laptop I mentioned in original message) are connected to my Asus router (some wired, some wireless). I live alone and when I play there isn't any network activity except for some minor background traffic.

I didn't pay attention during gaming to the prioritized traffic graph, but checking it now I can see that Prioritized Download/Upload both increased after I played a few games (checked also before I played so I can tell it increased). 

• Administrators

If you run Ping Optimizer on the app, is it able to lower the ping for you? 

Were you doing any Work From Home? If not disable that, it could be interfering. It is a little odd that it isn't higher, how long did you play for?

I ran ping optimizer several times, all resulted in "your ping is already stable under load" or something like that. 

I work mainly from home, but not simultaneously to gaming so I guess this shouldn't interfere. 

I tried adding 2 more rules for my PS5, first is for Frostbite games and second is for gaming console, then played again, prioritized traffic increased as expected on all relevant rules including the one set by the installation wizard. I guess a reboot I did reset the counter or something like that... 

11 hours ago, Oren Tasuna said:

A little bit, also disabled DMZ and enabled UPnP along setting those rules (though intuitively this would be the less preferred choice)

I would suggest removing the rule for Frostbite, the Games Console rule should handle everything itself and may improve the experience if it's handling everything.

26 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

I would suggest removing the rule for Frostbite, the Games Console rule should handle everything itself and may improve the experience if it's handling everything.

BTW, just to clarify, leave only "Games Console" on and leave others disabled (including automatic ones)?

2 hours ago, Oren Tasuna said:

BTW, just to clarify, leave only "Games Console" on and leave others disabled (including automatic ones)?

Yep, you got it.

1 hour ago, Oren Tasuna said:

And one more question, if I set DMZ to my Asus Router, will this result in some lag (e.g. because packets are first sent to the router)?

If you DMZ the Asus router in the R2, you may indeed find problems in game and using the internet in general.

Hi,

Did some tests with DMZ, Port Forwarding and UPnP, turns out DMZ has consistent jitter and packet loss, port forwarding also but slightly less than DMZ, UPnP is the only method in which I don't have packet loss or jitter (or to be precise, they are significantly low in UPnP than other methods).

Hope you can look into it and fix it in coming versions as DMZ or Port Forwarding should normally be the more reliable options.

If you need logs or other information to help resolve this please let me know.  

• Administrators

DMZ passes all traffic straight through to the device so getting unnecessary traffic could cause issues, also port forwarding, if you don't get all the ports down then that will cause issues as well, UPnP opens only the necessary ports so makes sense it's the best in that regard.