Frequent disconnections since switching to Fios

I went from Xfinity to Frontier Fios recently and told the tech during the installation to keep my XR 500 instead of their EERO router. Speeds are as advertised so no issues there, but I'm frequently getting brief disconnects that last a minute or two. They seem to happen every few hours or so. I have noticed that p2p gaming seems to precede a fair amount of the disconnects but it happens without gaming as well, just less frequently. I've done a full reset of the router back to factory settings and reset the ONT as well and it hasn't helped. Is there anything else I should try? I have another technician coming out tomorrow and I assume he'll probably suggest switching to their equipment but I really like using this router and would prefer to not have to do that.

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

57 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Welcome to the forum!

In LAN Settings, set the DHCP range to start at .50, then assign reserved IP addresses to devices between .2 & .49 so they're out of the DHCP range, apply, reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and see if that stops the disconnects.

Help Fraser, curious how this would fix the disconnect using IPs out the dhcp range. 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, XSXS said:

Help Fraser, curious how this would fix the disconnect using IPs out the dhcp range. 

I suspect the DHCP lease renewing could be causing the disconnections so setting a static/reserved IP would resolve that. You could set it within the range absolutely and it should be fine, however, a similar issue on the XR500 happens where the lease renewing still affects the reserved IPs. In which case setting them outside the range prevents DHCP trying/failing to renew them. In some cases in still even occurs when doing this and disabling DHCP completely and using reserved IPs exclusively for all devices resolves it. It's an issue NG are aware of. 

So in this instance I suggested the second stage of the workaround as that works for most people.

I have taken those steps and will update later on the results. I am a little confused though, are you saying that this is because the router's assigned IP is failing to renew for some reason or does it have to do with other devices somehow?

9 hours ago, IBYCFOTA said:

I have taken those steps and will update later on the results. I am a little confused though, are you saying that this is because the router's assigned IP is failing to renew for some reason or does it have to do with other devices somehow?

Yeah we believe it's something to do with the renewal and your devices disconnecting when this process starts. Reserving an IP should resolve that for now.

Everything was good last night after I tried it while I was gaming to the point where I cancelled my service appointment for this morning, but low and behold there was another disconnection this morning. To be clear, it's my entire router that is getting disconnected, not a specific device or application. I'm not sure if that rules out the DCHP issue or not? In any case I have scheduled another appointment for next week and am open to any other suggestions in the meantime.

46 minutes ago, IBYCFOTA said:

Everything was good last night after I tried it while I was gaming to the point where I cancelled my service appointment for this morning, but low and behold there was another disconnection this morning. To be clear, it's my entire router that is getting disconnected, not a specific device or application. I'm not sure if that rules out the DCHP issue or not? In any case I have scheduled another appointment for next week and am open to any other suggestions in the meantime.

That's interesting, out of interest, did you reserve IPs for every device on the network or just specific ones? It's necessary to do them all I'm afraid.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

That's interesting, out of interest, did you reserve IPs for every device on the network or just specific ones? It's necessary to do them all I'm afraid.

I did every device that was showing up on the network at the time. That said, I run an AirBnB out of part of my home and have guests coming in every few days with different devices so it's not feasible to stay on top of reserving IPs for every device that may interact with my network.  I'm also not sure why this would just start becoming a problem now if it's a DCHP issue as I've had this router for a couple of years without any problems. Would a change in internet service from cable to fiber cause that?

17 hours ago, IBYCFOTA said:

I did every device that was showing up on the network at the time. That said, I run an AirBnB out of part of my home and have guests coming in every few days with different devices so it's not feasible to stay on top of reserving IPs for every device that may interact with my network.  I'm also not sure why this would just start becoming a problem now if it's a DCHP issue as I've had this router for a couple of years without any problems. Would a change in internet service from cable to fiber cause that?

It is possible that the new ISP equipment is having problems and dropping the network, yes. Perhaps try reaching out to your ISP and see if they have any record of issues on your equipment? They should be able to see this kind of information.