Correct Setup (Help Required)

Hi Duma Army.

I have had my XR500 for a little while now and I think I am setting it up incorrectly.

I am looking for some help and tips.

Here is what I understand & How I have it setup...

I have fibre 1gig direct to the house with BT.

From the white box on the wall > BT Hub > XR500. (I have connected the ethernet cable from the main BT Hub port to main port to the XR500)
Is there anything else I am required to do? with IPs or ports and is this the correct way to set it up?

QOS - My house runs everything from the bloody internet, Sky Glass, mobiles, tabs, YouTube, speakers etc.

I start to get lag in my games when my son starts to watch YouTube on Sky Glass in the living room. My question is - should I be applying more Download and upload to the devices using more of the bandwidth like  SkyGlass and if so how much should I be applying?

I thank you in advance for any help.

Hey!

Assuming you've got internet access through the XR500, it sounds like you've got the physical element setup correctly.

It sounds as though we need to tweak QoS to ensure your game is handled as a priority, preventing you from lagging.

To do this, can you let me know what device you're playing on? Console, PC, mobile for example?

Also, we should double check Congestion Control is setup correctly. My suggestion would be to first ensure your network speeds are correct. This is indicated on the far right hand side of the Congestion Control panel. If they're not showing the speeds you get from your ISP, you can click the three-line menu in Congestion Control and update these by clicking 'Set Bandwidth Speeds'.

After that, set Congestion Control to auto-enable and move the sliders to about 70%.

HI Liam,

Thank you for your reply!

Sorry I missed a few important details, I am playing on the PS5.

I do indeed have internet access, the one thing I did notice was the router IPs for the devices are 10.0.0.1, 2, 3 and not a full IPs.

I am thinking ALL devices need to run from the XR500 wifi and nothing to touch the BT hub? should I disable wifi on the BT hub?

• Administrators

The IPs are local so that's normal. Yes everything should be connected to the XR for QoS to work optimally, if the Sky Glass is connected to the BT Hub then that is probably why you're getting lag as the XR can't control it. Disabling the WiFi on the BT hub would be a good idea to prevent any automatic/accidental connections to it.

Hi Guys,

The only issue I seem to have it I still lag a little when the TV's are streaming.

I have reduced the download slider within QOS by 10 each time down to 40 and still it seems to lag.

Please could you advise as to what I should be reducing.

Thank you :)

Hi Fraser,

Sorry for my delay, I have been monitoring the issue.

When the Sky Glass is streaming, I seem like im a second behind when I shooting. I turn the TV off and it all goes smooth again.

I have been testing this over the last week, and the same happens every time.

What can I do?

• Administrators

Thanks for that, could you disable DumaOS Classified Games on Traffic Prioritization please? I'm wondering if that is somehow catching Sky and prioritizing it which would cause the issue. See if it works better after that.

• 4 weeks later...

After a few weeks of testing, I can confirm when the Sky Glass is streaming the games have a very strange delay (Lag). When I turn the TV off it goes away.

Anything I can do to improve this with my Sky Glass TV?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, alex.devine said:

I have not tried with Traffic prio disabled. I disabled the core Traffic prio and added my console.

Should I disable prio altogether?

That should be fine to be fair, but yeah test it with all Traffic Prio disable and let us know how you get on.