R2 completely failed

TrashPandaInThe6

Came home this morning to my home network down. Reset my ISP modem, as well as my R2 now it  flashes the internet led several times then all lights turn off expect for the power LED and it starts the same cycle over and over again. Tried rest button on the back as well same cycle occurs.

I haven’t had any issues in quite a while so I’m hopi g this is something that can easily be fixed .

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2022 at 3:21 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

The video isn't working, would you be able to upload it again?

Unplug the router for 10 minutes, plug in, wait 2 minutes, hold the reset button for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then attempt access.

@Netduma Fraser Sorry about the delay family life left me unable to spend some time looking into the issue further until yesterday.

I finally had an opportunity to try the R2 again, after about 30 minutes I was able to get it up and running perfectly. Unfortunately, this morning the entire network was down again after doing some research I believe it is a "Double Nat" issue that I am experiencing. From what I've read a PPoE passthrough option seems to be the best way to resolve the issue (I am currently using the Advanced DMZ method) and others are describing the same connectivity issues as myself, so I assume it is mostly likely the cause of my issue.

my current setup is a Bell Home Hub 3000 (ISP ) > NetdumaR2 > all devices.

can you possibly provide me with an easy-to-follow guide on how to setup this passthrough option I've read about if you think that will be the cause of the issue.

I've found out how to locate my "B1" credentials and how to reset the internet access password from the bell website but I'm not sure what to do exactly other than that.

DMZ is typically the best solution as it essentially sends all traffic straight to the R2, it's unlikely this would cause any issues, though you could experiment with using bridge/modem mode if your ISP supports it. 

Does your ISP require you to use PPPoE in order to get connected to the internet? Did you have to fill in some PPPoE credentials in the R2s WAN settings when you first set it up? If not, I don't think PPPoE passthrough would be relevant here.

What indication did you get that suggested double NAT might be the issue? DMZ should resolve any NAT issues you experience, so i'd be a little surprised if you were still having that issue.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

DMZ is typically the best solution as it essentially sends all traffic straight to the R2, it's unlikely this would cause any issues, though you could experiment with using bridge/modem mode if your ISP supports it. 

Does your ISP require you to use PPPoE in order to get connected to the internet? Did you have to fill in some PPPoE credentials in the R2s WAN settings when you first set it up? If not, I don't think PPPoE passthrough would be relevant here.

What indication did you get that suggested double NAT might be the issue? DMZ should resolve any NAT issues you experience, so I'd be a little surprised if you were still having that issue.

Thanks for the response Liam appreciate it. I am finding that every few days the R2 is losing all Inernet connection. my Bell ISP modem is working fine and from what I've read online others are experiencing the same issue (I believe it is due to the ISP modem not having a true bridge mode). In the past I've used the advanced DMZ option in the Bell modem but am hoping to find a more permanent reliable solution.

20 hours ago, TrashPandaInThe6 said:

Thanks for the response Liam appreciate it. I am finding that every few days the R2 is losing all Inernet connection. my Bell ISP modem is working fine and from what I've read online others are experiencing the same issue (I believe it is due to the ISP modem not having a true bridge mode). In the past I've used the advanced DMZ option in the Bell modem but am hoping to find a more permanent reliable solution.

OK that's interesting, can you possibly provide a screenshot of the PPPoE Passthrough page? We may be able to work out together if/how we can configure that for you.

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

OK that's interesting, can you possibly provide a screenshot of the PPPoE Passthrough page? We may be able to work out together if/how we can configure that for you.

Will do I am not at home at the moment but can do once I am.

separate question, coincidentally I was offered an internet upgrade yesterday from my isp they are planning to upgrade my isp modem and speed to 3.0gb from 1.0. With that much available speed would I be ok to just run my gaming items through the netduma and into the 10gb LAN port on the new isp modem and then my other devices separately straight to the iso modem?

would this still offer me optimal traffic control for gaming? Also will this still allow me to hve an open NAT? 

* EDIT* im no network pro by any means but with that much available speed my plan was to run my mesh network (google wifi) from the ISP modem and the NetdumaR2 to the ISP modem individually, then run all my gaming devices to the netduma to ensure optimal performance for gaming i just want to make sure im not missing anything or doing somthing that would cause subpar performance.

• Administrators

Wow very lucky! You can do that, you'll still be able to use the Geo-Filter, QoS won't be as effective as it won't have control over the entire network. You'll need to put the R2 WAN IP in the DMZ of the modem so you can get an Open NAT.

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Wow very lucky! You can do that, you'll still be able to use the Geo-Filter, QoS won't be as effective as it won't have control over the entire network. You'll need to put the R2 WAN IP in the DMZ of the modem so you can get an Open NAT.

Thanks the best part is the monthly price went down 20$ a month. Yeah for promotional offers!

i guess at this point I am best off waiting for the install this weekend. If I continue to have any disconnect issues I will follow up thanks again gents very much appreciated!

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry one more question.

I just received a response from my ISP regarding ADMZ/PPPoE issues I mentioned above.

they are advising both are working with my package so I am wondering which option would you suggest to use/ which will work the best overall?

237A0906-883D-486C-A51E-350CE605CEEF.thumb.jpeg.cbec99120ee95e1275f8326a2b9f6472.jpeg

On 11/24/2022 at 11:15 AM, TrashPandaInThe6 said:

ok good to know thanks for the advice i will try the DMZ route first hopefully that works.

@Netduma Fraser looks like it happened again unfortunately. I managed to save the logs before I restarted and lost access to the R2 however. let me know if there is anything i can do to prevent this thanks in advance.

log-1669679078244.txt

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 7:06 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Looks like your public IP was renewed and so the R2 lost connection, if you connect the ISP and get them to extend the lease time then this should occur less often

Hey Fraser after speaking with my ISP ( who surprisingly were very helpful they sent me this:

One of our engineers got back to me. He's pointing the problem at the Netduma and sent me some detailed notes. He ran packet capture on your modem.

He sent me this thread after i told him your router model and sent me some notes.

»forum.netduma.com/topic/ ··· e-renew/

Hey Dom,

I’m 94.89% sure that this customer's equipment is faulty.
Do you know what kind of equipment is it? The device DHCP isn’t following the DHCP specification.

He can look into the standards to confirm:
»www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

Page 31:
i screenshotted page 31 and posted above, and some of the packet capture and explanation.

Just now, TrashPandaInThe6 said:

Hey Fraser after speaking with my ISP ( who surprisingly were very helpful they sent me this:

One of our engineers got back to me. He's pointing the problem at the Netduma and sent me some detailed notes. He ran packet capture on your modem.

He sent me this thread after i told him your router model and sent me some notes.

»forum.netduma.com/topic/ ··· e-renew/

Hey Dom,

I’m 94.89% sure that this customer's equipment is faulty.
Do you know what kind of equipment is it? The device DHCP isn’t following the DHCP specification.

He can look into the standards to confirm:
»www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

Page 31:
i screenshotted page 31 and posted above, and some of the packet capture and explanation.

888217D4-8E22-4531-906D-382877148C0D.png

6F1AA965-7380-4F18-B226-61951BA4598D.png

14 minutes ago, TrashPandaInThe6 said:

no I don't believe any adjustments were made on their end. they only provided myself with the info attached above.

OK sure, thanks. Any changes we can make to DHCP would have to come in the form of a new firmware, so it's not something we can hotfix for you now. You could perhaps try going back to them saying we're looking into their feedback but it would help alleviate the problem for the time being if they could extend your lease?