Fortnite - XR1000 - Issues with QoS, and Geo-Filter

• Administrators

It might not say it in the logs on the Settings pages but should say it on the System Information page, even if it's not saying anything after can you grab it for me? Also if you do the Ping Heatmap step I can compare and check whether it has/hasn't downloaded from the cloud.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It might not say it in the logs on the Settings pages but should say it on the System Information page, even if it's not saying anything after can you grab it for me? Also if you do the Ping Heatmap step I can compare and check whether it has/hasn't downloaded from the cloud.

right on, right on!  Log File from the bottom of the System Information, not the actual 'router log' from SETTINGS > MONITOR > LOG

OOF!

So I saw that my TIME.ZONE was set to -8GMT which is not for my location. I actually have TWO log dumps, I have the log dump that was running from the re-image of v1.0.0.64_1.0.49 Friday night, and then a second log dump after correcting my Time.Zone.  I did CLOUD RESYNCs in the Ping Heatmap prior to the log file dumps.

Screenshot 2022-10-09 101349.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 095759.png

log-1665324857877.txt log-1665323586131.txt

Geo-Filter is still not working correctly. 

First, I did a RESYNC on the Ping Heatmap, then I loaded up Fortnite and started a SOLO game.  In Network Monitor it was showing gaming data as I went from my Party Lobby(main screen PLAY/ Battle Pass/ locker/ Etc.) to Spawn Island(lobby before jumping out of the bus).  Geo-Filter did not have any servers listed and Network Monitor was still showing a bit of gaming data.  (gaming data and web data were both red, but different shades ... Gaming Data was dark or a brick red).  While in game, Geo-Filter still had no servers listed.  My PING would bounce around from 0ms - 40ms, I seemed to be averaging 15ms - 20ms. 

Normally my ping is 0ms - 10ms on NA-East, there are a couple servers in the farm that I get almost a 20ms PING.  In the past I have not looked to see the specific IP Addresses of these servers.  Nor have I flagged or blocked them in the geo-Fence.

Screenshot 2022-10-09 115740.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 115821.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 120358.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 121037.png

log-1665332939357.txt

• Administrators

Thanks for that, it appears ours match from the half dozen I checked so that's good. Could you do this whole process again please:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely - so including from the System Tray on the PC
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

then see if it works.

39 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, it appears ours match from the half dozen I checked so that's good. Could you do this whole process again please:

1. Quit the application/game/client completely - so including from the System Tray on the PC
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

then see if it works.

the above "psudo works", I think it is setup as Fortnite for the filter, I want to verify that is what the add device wizard selected, I thought I clicked manual. n 

I also want to test the filter as DEVICE: PlayStation TYPE: Unreal Engine

While I did show my server in Geo-Filter, I was like, alright now we are getting somewhere. 

I had a 10ms-13ms PING on Spawn Island, and Game Data was being seen by Network Monitor.  Once I dropped into the actual game play, my ping was going between 13ms - 30ms or higher, and I was getting some packet loss as we settled in to the match.  I generally do not have packet loss at all with the XR1000 and QoS working properly. 

I did have a minute or two that I was close to a Zero Ping, but then it spiked back up in the 20s when I got into fights.

What is NetDuma actually doing or looking for that it would prioritize gaming traffic on a console more than a PC?  The client/ server data stream should be the the same

image.png.18d52e3a02066f277fdfd90d1723d66f.pngimage.thumb.png.7bbd48bb5efda53b33f33ca2ea001295.pngimage.png.bfe50a74973827c81dd0080119335871.pngimage.thumb.png.cb8d1bbff31e468ffdc5c1bdcb1d2cfc.pngimage.thumb.png.dbeaddbbb54fa8679b31ceee581feba1.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 150317.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 150326.png

image.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 150903.png

Screenshot 2022-10-09 150317.png

• Administrators

Generally when set to a console for the best filtering experience manual should be selected but if that is working for you that's great!

It should detect the gaming traffic if it's set to a PC as well. It seems that as your timezone was out of sync that it caused the cloud databases to not be downloaded properly which threw off the Geo and detection of traffic as it wasn't operating with the latest information available. 

In case you're wondering the ping on the Geo-Filter is lower than what you see in game as that is your ping directly to the server, there will be processing delay that all games have - not all choose to include it in their ping calculation, if they don't it will be the same as the Geo ping, if they do it will be higher, generally 10-30ms higher is expected. Any higher can indicate the server is under load.

1.  I exited the Fortnite, and the Epic Games Launcher.  I then removed my device in the Geo-Fence, and resynced its cloud for S&Gs.

2. in device Manager, I set my computers Device: Computer TYPE: Unreal Engine, SAVED it and RESYNCED its cloud.

3. I went back to Geo-Fence and added my device to filter as Device: Computer TYPE: Unreal Engine, the wizard then showed me the list of options(games) to filter.  I selected Unreal Engine and completed the wizard.  The ADD DEVICE Wizard did not Auto-Magicly have the filter enabled, and I was not able to toggle/ ENABLE the filter on my device in Geo-Fence(but I was able to enable the filter when it was Device: PlayStation TYPE: Unreal Engine ).

4.  I went back into Device Manager, and set my computer as a PlayStation(sigh).  Saved it and resynced its cloud.

5.  back into Geo-Fence and ran the ADD DEVICE Wizard. I added my computer to the Geo-Fence Filter and let it, "recommend a mode for my game", clicked CONTINUE,  scrolled down and selected "Unreal Engine", and clicked NEXT.  And cleared the message that it was added successfully. 

6. go back into Geo-Fence and I had to enable the Filtering Mode.  I then waited 2 minutes. (then my youngest stopped over, thus delaying me wrapping this up.)

7. start Fortnite and let's see what we get.

I'll start up a game now. 

The Geo-Filter is seeing a server, and QoS is still not seeing the gaming data properly from Fortnite.

I still can not have QoS by Application I have to set it to DEVICE.  

Even though this is "KIND OF" working currently.  My ping is still erratic now, as without QoS by Application. 

My ping, latency and game feel in Fortnite is still not what I had prior to whatever happened in the beginning of September.  So I'm not sure if it is what changed in the patch update Epic Games pushed out v21.51, or changes/ updates to NetDuma code on the backend, or a combination of both.

I had the XR1000 running the Geo-Filter for both of my computers, as DEVICE: Computer TYPE: Fortnite.  My QoS was setup to prioritize by Application.  This worked from my, "Out of Box setup" in June of this year until recently, and it was amazing.  I had made no changes to my router, or would play with the router settings prior to I noticed teh Geo-filter and QoS were no longer working like they did.     

• Administrators

Bandwidth Allocation isn't realistically going to do much for your lag experience, with Share Excess enabled anyway your gaming device will get the bandwidth it needs (which isn't much for a game) and giving it more won't make it use more. For QoS to have noticeable impacts in game, Congestion Control & Traffic Prioritization should be the ones to focus on, when you've got those down it'll keep your ping stable.

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Bandwidth Allocation isn't realistically going to do much for your lag experience, with Share Excess enabled anyway your gaming device will get the bandwidth it needs (which isn't much for a game) and giving it more won't make it use more. For QoS to have noticeable impacts in game, Congestion Control & Traffic Prioritization should be the ones to focus on, when you've got those down it'll keep your ping stable.

I know, right?  That is why my ping is currently sketchy, I have to run QoS by DEVICE and not by Application(I stated this in the past).  So therefore, Fortnite data is at the mercy of FIFO on the queue as all other data heading for that device, gaming traffic is not being pushed to the front of the queue.

I also had Congestion control set to either Always On or Auto. 

If QoS saw the data from Fortnite as 'gaming data' like it used to.  It would have gone to the front of the queue like it was doing prior.  I give it bandwidth because its a computer, and I am running the other programs related to streaming.  I do not want these two computers not to have enough bandwidth, or have it taken by another 'big talker' asking for data on my LAN while I'm gaming.  

That was the entire reason I purchased the XR1000. 

This used to work.  I should not have to have QoS set to "be DEVICE" for a supported game/ Game Engine.  I should be able to set as DEVICE: Computer TYPE: Fortnite or Unreal Engine 

Something changed for it to stop working as it did.  We know Epic patched Fortnite, and iirc, NetDuma was updated as well.

Thereby breaking the working config I had on my router prior from 2022.06.27 up until this date range: 2022.09.07 - 2022.09.11(when I really noticed this was not an anomaly and it was consistent.   this was not my normal with the XR1000 configured)

I am requesting that Fornite be re-evaluated.  I do not think it is being seen correctly while in game.  

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

No updates as yet I'm afraid, we're doing some additional captures today so we'll hope to fix this via a cloud update in future if possible. 

Liam!  

Awesome, and thank you!   

I have factory reset my XR1000 again, and set it up via the starting web interface.  This setup config  will have to be my 'band-aid' until you guys have solid data on Fortnite again and maybe a cloud update for us all.   Thanks in advance!

Device Manager: my computers are set to DEVICE: Computer

QoS SettingsCongestion Control: Always On @ 70% of 1000Mbps for UL & DL.

- Bandwidth Allocation: by Application(Livestream, Gaming, & Uncategorized) have Queue Priority for both UL & DL. 

- Share Excess - is enabled for both UL& DL

Geo-Fence - is setup with my devices, but does not see any servers while gaming.  Because my computers are set as COMPUTER under the Device Manager.