Fortnite - XR1000 - Issues with QoS, and Geo-Filter

noticed that my Geo-Filter was not working just after Epic Games updated Fortnite to v21.51(Chapter3Season3 on Sept 7th).  I was no longer able to see what servers I was attached to in Battle Royale or Save the World. 

Prior to the update in Fortnite to v21.51.  The 'Geo-Fence' worked extremely well when it was ENABLED in the XR1000.   It would keep me locked into the NAEast Match Making Region and my pings were always so much better.  When it was running.  I would not have noticed that it was not working except that the 'Creative Mode - SypherPK's Pit' would lag supper bad.  I logged into the router and Geo-Fence did not show any servers on the Geo-Fence Map.  I held off doing anything with the XR1000 Settings that first night I noticed it, and just gave it a restart after my session that night.  Next day same thing, so I started to try things and google searches ...

So digging into the router I noticed in Network Monitor that Fortnite was not showing as gaming and I had a large chunk of packets that were Unknown or Unrecognized.  This was the Fortnite data.  I then tried what I had found in another thread before I had an account, and the chaos I had creating an account and the verification email.  lol

1. Quit the application/game/client completely
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Give PC PlayStation Device Type in the Device Manager (if on PC)
  4. Resync from the Geo-Filter Map menu
  5. Re-add the device to the Geo-Filter with the manual option
  6. Set up the Geo-Filter how you like
  7. Wait 2 minutes
  8. Boot up application/game/client

I have also tried I have tried to 'ReSync Cloud' via DeviceManager, Geo-Filter, & Ping Heat Map, as well as removing my PCs, clearing the rules, and setting QoS and GeoFence to defaults.  Waiting a minimum of 2 minutes or overnight before adding the PCs back into into QoS and Geo-Fence and then trying again.  Each thing I tried I always ended up with the same results, Fortnite as 'unknown data'.  

I have reloaded the defaults twice to try and force the XR1000 to see if I had some corrupted code in the rules or elsewhere.  Each time I did something and tested, Fortnite game data still showed up as Unknown.  

HELP~!

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify, on the Geo-Filter, does it show your device is added with the Console service underneath?

Generally you won't see a server unless you're in a game, in a public match do you see anything if you fully zoom out on the map?

I have tried it both as a Computer, and as a Console.  Since Sept 7th I do not see any Fortnite Servers while in a game public lobby in Battle Royale or in Save the World.  I originally had it setup and working out of the box since June of this year.  I had Geo-Fencing enabled.  My two computers had a 'DEVICE TYPE' of Computer. I have a PC for streaming and a PC for gaming.

QoS was configured to be Auto-Enabled, and Goodput was ENABLED, and using Applications.  My WAN is 1Gbit fiber.  This worked perfectly until Sept 7th.

Now I have to set QoS to Devices and split my bandwidth to each computer. Now my Gaming packets are not being pushed to front of the queue.

Screenshot 2022-10-06 162846.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 162827.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 162715.png

2022.10.06 no games running.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 163301.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 163200.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 162959.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 162916.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 163332.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 163446.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 163415.png

Screenshot 2022-10-06 163358.png

holy crap the screenshots are useless, the forum reduced them to junk ...

no Armour, no DMZ, only had QoS  an Geo-Fence set for the 3 NAE Fortnite servers.  No other rules, etc, other than what the router does by default via the Nighthawk app and or stock behavior of the firmware.

I have done a factory reset, and about 8 different ways to try to isolate it.  as both CONSOLE and COMPUTER under Geo-Fence.

I tried it Geo-Fence with my computers as a device: COMPUTER and all the steps listed in first post.

Then tried Geo-Fence with the computers set as device: CONSOLE/ PLAYSTATION and all the testing steps. 

I then did a factory reset, setup the router as New Out of Box with the Nighthawk App(Annoying AF), and tested again with my PCs set as device: CONSOLE in Geo-Fence and still the same results.

So now it is back to devices as COMPUTERS, and QoS is set to: By DEVICE, not By APPLICATION. and my two computers have all of the Bandwidth.  while it sort of works, it is not making the gaming data priority, it is still FIFO of the queue as delivered to my IP Address and then handled by the router.

Something changed, either on Epic Games side with fortnite, the NetDuma side or both around the patch right before Fortnite went to Season 4. 

All that I do know, at this point, is my XR1000 is not doing much for my Fortnite latency or keeping me locked to the servers I want now. 

Straight up, I have worked on this almost every night since I noticed it right around September 11th or so. 

• Administrators

It should still be prioritizing the game but if not add your PC with the Games Console service on Traffic Prioritization, you don't need to do anything with Bandwidth Allocation.

We will take a look at re-testing/classifying the game again, do you play any other games and do servers for those appear on the Geo-Filter still?

No I don't really play other games.  I do have other games to test with.  I will test other games tomorrow and will get back to you. Thank you Fraser.  

For testing I'll try to do some old school quake, ezQuake, Quake Champions, Doom Eternal, and some CoD. I'll see what else I have.

Yep, its definitely weird.  When I was testing and taking the screen shots earlier today.  I dropped into Build Mode - SOLOs so that I could try and see what the router had going on and take screen shots for you guys.  When got back into the lobby from the drop in, it looked like the XR1000 did see the DATA SYNC to the cloud for my fortnite settings,  and then that small burst was gone and back to unknown data. 

CoD Modern Warzone - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

Splitgate - Geo-Filter: Working, Servers listed.   Network Monitor: Gaming data detected

Fortnite - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

Quake Champions - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

Halo Infinite - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

• Administrators

Very peculiar, could you check the IP on the PC itself - you can open command prompt and type ipconfig and press enter - then check the IP of the PC on the Device Manager on the router, do the IPs match?

CoD Modern Warzone - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

Splitgate - Geo-Filter: Working, Servers listed.   Network Monitor: Gaming data detected

Fortnite - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

Quake Champions - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

Halo Infinite - Geo-Filter: Not Working, No Servers Listed   Network Monitor: No Gaming Data Detected in Game

54 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Very peculiar, could you check the IP on the PC itself - you can open command prompt and type ipconfig and press enter - then check the IP of the PC on the Device Manager on the router, do the IPs match?

both of the PCs (streaming PC and Gaming PC)are setup as Static via the DHCP Settings(or Reserved via the DHCP Server on the XR1000)

image.thumb.png.4166b07013c531d41ad0e76e43afedf1.png

image.thumb.png.5191a9ca61e1ff65751195c0cf8d1f3c.png

Edited by sKIzXR1kay
adding device manager image

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you please re-upgrade to the same firmware, wait a few minutes then factory reset, wait a few minutes then access, go through the wizard and then check if it's working please

I'm just getting back home.  I'll get this started now.

1. I'll flash the image file XR1000-V1.0.0.64_1.0.49.zip.

2. allow XR1000 to fully boot and wait 5 minutes.

3. After flashing image and a 5 min wait, I'll do a factory reset via the button.

4. I'll let the XR1000 boot up and give it another 5 minutes to settle and sync.

5. Complete Out of Box setup with the built-in Start Wizard on the XR1000, not the Nighthawk Mobile App.

/me crosses fingers  

Re-Image and setup via the Built in Start Wizard on the router.

I then went into QoS verified my bandwidth speeds.  I changed both to 1000Mbps, it was only showing it as 100Mbps for UL & 100Mbps for DL.  I then set the CONGESTION CONTROL to AUTO-ENABLE, and set the sliders to 65% for my UL and 65% for my DL.  I then shaped Bandwidth Allocation as APPLICATION. I set Gaming @ 50 and LiveStream @ 33 on UPLOAD and saved, then did the same for my DOWNLOAD and saved.

I then went into Ping Heatmap and FORCED RESYNC CLOUD.

I then went back into QoS set the congestion control Auto-Enable to 65% for my UL and 65% for my DL.

I then started fortnite on my gaming computer and watched in Network Monitor, no gaming data at all until I was in lobby, it showed Gaming Data for about 15 -20 seconds while it synced with CLOUD and I was waiting for players in the pre- battle bus lobby.  No Gaming Data while actually in the game, only waiting for the bus and end of match for either being eliminated or winning.

I feel that my XR1000 is still the same as it was prior to the Re-Image & Factory Reset. 

• Administrators

What about the Geo-Filter, is that still not showing any data? Are you using a switch/AP/extender to connect the devices to the router? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to and how is that setup to allow an Open NAT to the XR?

I setup Geo-Filter after rebuilding the XR1000 and running some fortnite last night.  

It still does not work, because the XR1000 DOES NOT SEE Fortnite packets as GAMING DATA.

I then tested this today, just for Shi7s&Giggles.  I have the Geo-Fence setup in polygon mode, for the Fortnite NA East server farms.  I then went into my game settings and manually set my MATCHMAKING REGION in FORTNITE to NA-West.  And tried to get in a game ... my GEO_FILTER should have not let me get into a game, I should have been kicked back to lobby if it was working correctly.

but alas ... I was able to get into two separate matches on NA-West.(my XR1000 was like, "sure thing Bro, just let me know when you have some game data to help you have the best gaming experience possible. I(the XR1000) am here for you"!  )  

My network is as follows: (all of my CAT5e cables are tested and certified)  I do not use range extenders. My ONT is managed by my ISP there is no end user config.

Fiber Optics from my ISP to my ONT(Alcatel G-010G-A). 

ONT is connected to XR1000 via CAT5e

GAMING & STREAMING PCs are directly connected to the XR1000

image.thumb.png.d656c53f3048d54768e39d38f3b5193f.png

• Administrators

When set to use the Games Console service on the Geo-Filter or on Traffic Prioritization it doesn't need to specifically know that Fortnite is being played as it uses ports instead so they're separate issues really. I see you're using Adblocker in the web browser, can you disable/whitelist the interface please and then re-try the Geo-Filter? Have you made any changes to the network adapter on the PC? Are you using a VPN?

Fraser, I am starting to feel you do not read and only quickly glance over the posts and responses.  Honestly, my AdBlock Plus extension in Chrome has never caused an issue with Geo-Filter EVER in the past, and if it did I would have it disabled. 

I do not want to have my computers set as a CONSOLE in the Geo-Filter.  I run OBS on both computers, and use the OBS plug-in 'ndi-obs' for my game capture, as well as Voicemeeter Potato on both computers for audio.

I have tried both device type( CONSOLE and COMPUTER) for all of my testing. They each gave the same exact behavior, in Geo-Filter and Network Monitor.

As I stated in my very first post.  This FEATURE used to work just fine.  I had my computers set as DEVICE TYPE: COMPUTER in the Geo-Filter.  Both parts of Fortnite(battle royale & save the world) were seen by the XR1000.  Gaming Data & Live Streaming were my top priority in my QoS.  The STUFF WORKED! 

Any servers that were in the Ping Hotmap listed and actively filtered via the XR1000 in the Geo-Fence. 

Network Monitor saw Fortnite game packets as GAMING DATA.  From both of my computers.  I noticed it around the Sept. 10th & 11th.  On September 7th, Epic pushed out the game patch update v21.51.  I know that I am not the only person this is affecting.  There is at least one other person on the forum that has the same issues with the same features.   

On 10/6/2022 at 12:06 PM, sKIzXR1kay said:

Prior to the update in Fortnite to v21.51.  The 'Geo-Fence' worked extremely well when it was ENABLED in the XR1000.   It would keep me locked into the NAEast Match Making Region and my pings were always so much better.  When it was running.  I would not have noticed that it was not working except that the 'Creative Mode - SypherPK's Pit' would lag supper bad.  I logged into the router and Geo-Fence did not show any servers on the Geo-Fence Map.  I held off doing anything with the XR1000 Settings that first night I noticed it, and just gave it a restart after my session that night.  Next day same thing, so I started to try things and google searches ...

I have tested Geo-Filter in there different ways. 

XR1000 OOB, my original OUT OF BOX install on 1.0.0.64_1.0.4911, I tried your suggestions to the forum user: Xdrqgol I tried to register on here and create an account so I could add to his post and build on his ticket.

Then I tried a factory reset and setup the computers as DEVICE CONSOLE in geo-Filter and I did all my testing, Geo-Filter did not work.

Factory reset, and tested as Device COMPUTER, Geo-Filter did not work.

Followed your reply to me to try this:  re-flash XR100 with image file 1.0.0.64_1.0.49, followed all of your instructions to the T, and tested as and as DEVICE CONSOLE and Device COMPUTER, Geo-Filter did not work for either config.

• Administrators

Adblock can and has in the past affected how the interface works, that is why I suggested to disable it - it doesn't necessarily show it is blocking anything to cause an issue. If your concern is with the Geo-Filter blocking OBS when set to console that can be resolved by adding anything blocked when using OBS to the allow list. I do understand what you're saying, I did mention that we will take a look at re-classifying/testing the game and then it can be detected as game traffic again.

In the meantime it is my job to go through all troubleshooting possibilities to determine exactly what the issues are, if any can be resolved etc. Your concern is Fortnite understandably and I understand it was working but now isn't after an update, but you did try other games as well and they don't work either which indicates a wider issue (a Fortnite update would not affect other games and the console service uses ports so would show any connections within the set port range) - if they were specifically caused by the router not detecting game data then everyone would have the same problem. As such it indicates something on your side is not right and that is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. 

If you believe that this can all be resolved by game data being re-classified and do not wish to conduct further troubleshooting until that has been done then I understand, the team have been informed and they'll test/re-classify as soon as they are able.

23 hours ago, sKIzXR1kay said:

I did test with other games, I posted my results and added screen shots.  Some worked with Geo-Filter and some did not.

If it is a setting or option on my XR1000 on my end, I'd love to fix it.  But so far, we have not found a single thing on my end or in my config options. Unless you think there is any other items/ options we may have missed in troubleshooting.

I can continue to troubleshoot, but have any of your team been able to see this or recreate this in-house on an XR1000 Router or any XR Series or NetDuma Routers?  

Fortnite is my primary concern, because that is what I play 99.9% of the time. 

But I have shown in my replies that other games are not being Geo-Fenced as well.

• Administrators

CoD is what 90% of our customer base play so we'd definitely know about it if there was an issue that affected everyone. Could you resync the cloud and then grab the log file from the System Information page and post it here please? I'm wondering if it's actually failing to download the cloud update - that is something that someone had before. Also could you resync the cloud on heatmap and then provide a screenshot of a completed ping for Fortnite please?

The team haven't been able to look into it yet, earliest would be Monday if they have the time.

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you flush the cloud before getting the logs? I don't see anything there relating to it. Also can you do the Ping Heatmap step so I can compare it to mine please

No sir, that is the entire log since the re-image.  I only swapped out my internal MAC Addresses, I prefer not to have them listed/ posted on a public forum.

I did not 'flush' the cloud.  I didn't know that was an option without doing a factory reset.

I 're-synced' CLOUD in each section prior to grabbing the log, Geo-Fence, Ping Heatmap, QoS and Device Manager.  I do not know where to give the command to 'flush'.

I am only doing this via web interface in Chrome from Win10.  Should I be using some other way?  Is there a console, and or a list of commands as opposed to using the web interface?

• Administrators

Sorry I meant resync, flush was old wording for that feature, did you get the logs from Settings rather than the System Information page? 

Can you do the Ping Heatmap step so I can compare it to mine please

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry I meant resync, flush was old wording for that feature, did you get the logs from Settings rather than the System Information page? 

Can you do the Ping Heatmap step so I can compare it to mine please

all good, no worries.  I did the RESYNC in Heatmap, but my current logs do not show or refer to syncing data for NetDumaOS since I rebuilt from image file.  I want to say that I had that in logs prior, but I only checked logs once or twice since June.   

I grabbed the log from Settings > Monitoring > Log