Google Wifi mesh system and Netduma

Ptingler81

I've got a close to 3k sq. foot house with the internet connection downstairs. It's a ranch style house. I have the Google Mesh system (pods) and it works GREAT. However, there's only 2 ports. One for the internet from modem, and one additional port which I have the PS4 Pro hooked into. The router pod connects with the other 2 pods wirelessly, to spread the Wi-Fi signal throughout the house so I have no dead spots. 

My main gripe is that there is NO QOS built in and we have 23 devices at home. Alexa's, Amazon fire sticks, Rokus, cell phones, laptops, PS4, etc. 

Anyone know a work around? I'm thinking this wouldn't work? I could use it just for the geo-filter right and the rest wouldn't be useable, correct? As the main pod acts as a router to connect the other two pods.

• Ptingler81 changed the title to Google Wifi mesh system and Netduma
15 hours ago, Ptingler81 said:

I've got a close to 3k sq. foot house with the internet connection downstairs. It's a ranch style house. I have the Google Mesh system (pods) and it works GREAT. However, there's only 2 ports. One for the internet from modem, and one additional port which I have the PS4 Pro hooked into. The router pod connects with the other 2 pods wirelessly, to spread the Wi-Fi signal throughout the house so I have no dead spots. 

My main gripe is that there is NO QOS built in and we have 23 devices at home. Alexa's, Amazon fire sticks, Rokus, cell phones, laptops, PS4, etc. 

Anyone know a work around? I'm thinking this wouldn't work? I could use it just for the geo-filter right and the rest wouldn't be useable, correct? As the main pod acts as a router to connect the other two pods.

The solution here would be to put the DumaOS router inbetween the modem and the Google mesh, so the mesh connects to the DumaOS router through it's WAN port. The benefit here is that DumaOS' QoS is at the top of the network and should be able to control everything that goes through it.

On 9/15/2022 at 6:12 AM, Netduma Liam said:

The solution here would be to put the DumaOS router inbetween the modem and the Google mesh, so the mesh connects to the DumaOS router through it's WAN port. The benefit here is that DumaOS' QoS is at the top of the network and should be able to control everything that goes through it.

I've heard from a google forum that one of the pods (buy them in 2 or 3 packs) acts like a router. That google did it that way to prevent them from becoming APs. You can run Modem > R2 > Google Mesh router but the draw back is the router is the ONLY pod able to work that it will not connect to the other 2 pods due to not being connected to the modem. 

Could anyone confirm?

Also, if I did run it Modem > Google pod > R2, would I still have the benefit of the geo-filter? I'd lose the congestion control I'm assuming.

• Administrators

QoS would still work but it's effectiveness would dwindle the less devices are connected to it, ideally ALL devices should be connected behind the R2. Geo-Filter will work if the console is directly connected to the R2. Right so it has to be modem > mesh otherwise you lose 2/3 of your WiFi ability really? Is there any way the pods can connect to the R2 wireless without the router pod being used? You'd lose 1/3 of your mesh ability but you would then gain the R2 WiFi so that might be the best option to retain all the features.

On 9/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

QoS would still work but it's effectiveness would dwindle the less devices are connected to it, ideally ALL devices should be connected behind the R2. Geo-Filter will work if the console is directly connected to the R2. Right so it has to be modem > mesh otherwise you lose 2/3 of your WiFi ability really? Is there any way the pods can connect to the R2 wireless without the router pod being used? You'd lose 1/3 of your mesh ability but you would then gain the R2 WiFi so that might be the best option to retain all the features.

From what I've read no, the others cannot be connected to another router.

• Administrators

Okay so probably the best thing to do would be modem > R2 (console connected) > Google router > Pods. You can still use QoS and it will treat the Google router and everything connected behind it as one device but you can then prioritize the console specifically. It should in theory still prevent local congestion but wouldn't be as good as if everything was connected to the router.