XR1000 Slow Speed On Restart

I recently got an XR1000, but I am not getting the speeds I should be getting. I have 1Gig internet and of course you’re typically not going to get that, but I would expect to be getting 700/800Mbps, but I am getting under 100 most of the time. When I restart the router I get expected speeds for about 5 minutes and then it goes back down to the usual. What could be the cause of this?

Note, this is on wired and Wifi where I am experiencing this issue. I have my router connected to a Virgin Hub in modem mode. 

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

When this issue occurs, can you please go to Device Manager, then click the three-line menu in the top left of the map and switch to table view. Could you please then send over a screenshot of the top Ports table?

Also, if you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, do you speeds return to normal?

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum!

When this issue occurs, can you please go to Device Manager, then click the three-line menu in the top left of the map and switch to table view. Could you please then send over a screenshot of the top Ports table?

Also, if you completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, do you speeds return to normal?

Hi Liam, thank you for your response.  Please see the screenshot below:

image.thumb.png.fce6dc5073c5dce7eb3ea8f819baa49b.png

Regarding disableing QoS, the speed is something closer to what I would expect. Although the upload is very slow.

image.png.09067874a2d57702099c98399289c830.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It's hard to see the details but it looks like one of your ethernet cables is limited to 10Mbits so you won't get anything higher than that through that cable, if you change the cable that will increase speeds for that device at the very least. 

Are a lot of your devices being used heavily at the time of testing the speeds? 

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It's hard to see the details but it looks like one of your ethernet cables is limited to 10Mbits so you won't get anything higher than that through that cable, if you change the cable that will increase speeds for that device at the very least. 

Are a lot of your devices being used heavily at the time of testing the speeds? 

If my common sense is working correctly, I think this is port 4 which is for my remote central heating control hub which doesn’t require fast speeds, so that’s not an issue. Port 1 is the one for my computer that I care about the speed on. 

Since disabling QoS as per Liam’s advice the speed is more acceptable. Do I just have to leave this off? And if so aren’t I losing out on one of the features of the router?

• Administrators

Gotcha, has the upload increased since your last test? I have VM so I would recommend trying with the hub in router mode and the XR WAN IP in its DMZ instead and see if you get better speeds with QoS enabled. You would lose out yes so hopefully we can get your speeds up without sacrificing that.

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Gotcha, has the upload increased since your last test? I have VM so I would recommend trying with the hub in router mode and the XR WAN IP in its DMZ instead and see if you get better speeds with QoS enabled. You would lose out yes so hopefully we can get your speeds up without sacrificing that.

Hi Fraser. Networking is not my strong point, is there any security danger from putting the XR WAN IP in the routers DMZ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

No it's absolutely fine as the XR has its own built in firewall, if you were to then put a device in the XR DMZ then that could be a risk

Sorry about the delayed response, I have given this a shot and the outcome is the same. With QoS enabled the speeds are considerably slower. When it is disabled the speed is much faster.

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using Armor by any chance?

I have just checked - it is not in use.

Could I just ask a general question? I've moved my router from one side of my flat to the other, previously my Xbox, which is in the sitting room, was next to my ISP router. Now though it doesn't get good connection due to distance. Now that I have the ISP router back in router mode I can connect it via ethernet which is obviously much stronger. I still have my router set up as before, although it's not the main router. Does this in general (having a router connected to a router) cause any issues?

2 hours ago, GJambo said:

I have just checked - it is not in use.

Could I just ask a general question? I've moved my router from one side of my flat to the other, previously my Xbox, which is in the sitting room, was next to my ISP router. Now though it doesn't get good connection due to distance. Now that I have the ISP router back in router mode I can connect it via ethernet which is obviously much stronger. I still have my router set up as before, although it's not the main router. Does this in general (having a router connected to a router) cause any issues?

Can you send over a screenshot of how QoS is currently setup? Perhaps there's some optimisation we can make there.

2 hours ago, GJambo said:

Is the XR1000 connected next to the ISP router, and the Xbox connected to that? Or do you have a different configuration you can describe?

In general, connecting a router to a router shouldn't be a problem. You may have issues with NAT, but that can usually be resolved pretty easily. 

2 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Can you send over a screenshot of how QoS is currently setup? Perhaps there's some optimisation we can make there.

Is the XR1000 connected next to the ISP router, and the Xbox connected to that? Or do you have a different configuration you can describe?

In general, connecting a router to a router shouldn't be a problem. You may have issues with NAT, but that can usually be resolved pretty easily. 

Here's the QoS settings:

image.thumb.png.44f259aae8bd0982341c497eca589b69.png

image.thumb.png.824f32d6e6b1895bb24c03b94eee24fd.png

My setup just consists of my Virgin Hub which is connected to my XR1000 and my Xbox. Everything else is connected to the XR1000.

Thanks

OK, looks like we need to update your speeds in QoS.

From the three-line menu in Congestion Control, click 'Set Bandwidth Speeds' and set them to what you'd expect to get from your ISP.

After that, set Congestion Control to Auto-enable and re-test your speeds. 

Hi there,

I recently purchased the XR1000 and uploaded to the current firmware version 1.0.0.64 so far so good..

My  speeds are expected 900/500 as below 👇 maybe try down grade to previous version and start over again.

0D626F5D-A753-4B2C-A7F4-FF0E7C7A7507.png

15411724-3C64-4DF7-AB16-499F0B8C30E3.png

48BA2898-54DC-4C2E-A318-FA05E7C2FE1A.png

8F7C065F-9547-4B48-9334-F5C53310B428.png

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies again for the delayed response. Again I am having problems, slow speeds of around 80mbps. 

My VM hub is in router mode as before, QoS is disabled, I am getting the expected speeds from the VM hub but it’s slow with QoS enabled or not from the router. Firmware is up to date. I’m at a loss. 

I also tried your suggestion regarding the speeds but they were already set to what I would expect. 

On 10/4/2022 at 12:49 PM, Netduma Liam said:

OK, looks like we need to update your speeds in QoS.

From the three-line menu in Congestion Control, click 'Set Bandwidth Speeds' and set them to what you'd expect to get from your ISP.

After that, set Congestion Control to Auto-enable and re-test your speeds. 

1 hour ago, GJambo said:

Apologies again for the delayed response. Again I am having problems, slow speeds of around 80mbps. 

My VM hub is in router mode as before, QoS is disabled, I am getting the expected speeds from the VM hub but it’s slow with QoS enabled or not from the router. Firmware is up to date. I’m at a loss. 

I also tried your suggestion regarding the speeds but they were already set to what I would expect. 

Is this occurring all the time or does the issue appear intermittent?

Do you have Share Excess enabled in Bandwidth Allocation? You can see this from the three-line menu in the Bandwidth Allocation panel. If not, can you please enable it.

If you set Congestion control to Never, rather than fully disabling it, do you then also get full speeds?

19 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Is this occurring all the time or does the issue appear intermittent?

Do you have Share Excess enabled in Bandwidth Allocation? You can see this from the three-line menu in the Bandwidth Allocation panel. If not, can you please enable it.

If you set Congestion control to Never, rather than fully disabling it, do you then also get full speeds?

I am not sure if it's intermittent. I have been out of the country and hardly used the internet in the last few weeks. I note that it was slow since last night and has been all day today, perhaps it also was in the last few days as I noticed some buffering on YouTube.

I have Share Excess enabled. I have also tried setting Congestion Control to never and there is no difference.

Am I better factory resetting and starting again at this point?

After much testing, after factory resetting I could not reach the speeds I should be.

I decided to try a different Ethernet cable. Everything is now working as it should I believe. I would have tried this sooner if we had not had partial success after disabling QoS. So I’ve spent the evening fishing a cable through the walls from the other side of the house. 

Thanks for the help you offered throughout, it will help me troubleshoot should I experience any other issues. 

10 hours ago, GJambo said:

After much testing, after factory resetting I could not reach the speeds I should be.

I decided to try a different Ethernet cable. Everything is now working as it should I believe. I would have tried this sooner if we had not had partial success after disabling QoS. So I’ve spent the evening fishing a cable through the walls from the other side of the house. 

Thanks for the help you offered throughout, it will help me troubleshoot should I experience any other issues. 

OK that's good to hear, thanks for letting us know.

Do reach out again if you experience any further issues.