UPnP not successful help when using Nolag

jonnyg56

Hope someone can help a newbie.... 

I'm using a xr500 which is connected to a Virgin media hub 3 via DMZ and its working great. However once I start the nolag VPN using hybrid (added Xbox to VPN traffic and it's greyed out) I get a moderate NAT type on my Series X. When I start warzone and check my location it's showing the correct area of the VPN.cfg I'm using but I just get 200ms when searching for a game and it never finds one.

UpnP is activated on the ax500 but deactivated on the hub.

I've tried the port forwarding way posted by changing my xbox to TV in device manager etc etc which seems to work but when I check my location in warzone my location has not changed to the .cfg destination. (It's as if the VPN isn't working)

Hoping someone could shed some light on what I might be doing wrong. 

Sorry for the long post 😁

IMG_20220911_174828.jpg

• Administrators

Unfortunately the way VPNs work in general it will prevent you getting an Open NAT as you're essentially adding another 'layer' to the network, I do know that NoLag is a bit different so maybe others who use it can chime in on whether they are able to get an Open NAT while using it. Generally however, having a moderate NAT won't negatively impact you and you'll still be able to find games.

Thanks Fraser, maybe I wasn't patient enough to see if when the game did a search @ 200ms I would eventually find one and it would be playable. I will have another go after work and see.....

cheers  

Edit: 

Anyone else In the UK running a similar setup? I'm just wondering if it is normal to have such a high ping hiding behind a VPN.

Thanks

👍

Edited by jonnyg56

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, jonnyg56 said:

After further reading, I think the issues I'm having is due to my internet provider. Apparently Virgin Media don't approve of VPN's and make it hard for you to use one 🙄

Ahh that's interesting, thanks for letting us know!

On 9/12/2022 at 5:57 AM, jonnyg56 said:

Thanks Fraser, maybe I wasn't patient enough to see if when the game did a search @ 200ms I would eventually find one and it would be playable. I will have another go after work and see.....

cheers  

Edit: 

Anyone else In the UK running a similar setup? I'm just wondering if it is normal to have such a high ping hiding behind a VPN.

Thanks

👍

You are probably having 200 ping as your vpn location is where you are trying to connect to.

Vpn should be set up to use on port 443 and 3074 to try and trick the sbmm and lag compensation. That way you are still connecting to UK servers while telling the game you're in Nigeria or something

On 9/17/2022 at 10:37 PM, l2eactionz said:

You are probably having 200 ping as your vpn location is where you are trying to connect to.

Vpn should be set up to use on port 443 and 3074 to try and trick the sbmm and lag compensation. That way you are still connecting to UK servers while telling the game you're in Nigeria or something

Thankyou, Its definitely when I turn UpnP that fails as I've toggled it on and off and it's working when UpnP is switched off. Do you forward 3074 UDP & TCP? Thanks

On 9/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, jonnyg56 said:

Thankyou, Its definitely when I turn UpnP that fails as I've toggled it on and off and it's working when UpnP is switched off. Do you forward 3074 UDP & TCP? Thanks

Talking about portforwarding I leave mine off upnp off and dmz not set up.

Vpn udp and tcp 3074 443 and make sure the box is set to only vpn these services 

2 hours ago, l2eactionz said:

Talking about portforwarding I leave mine off upnp off and dmz not set up.

Vpn udp and tcp 3074 443 and make sure the box is set to only vpn these services 

Thanks l2eactionz,  the lobbies are worse when I have the Vpn running. I end up switching it off and just using geo filter. They seem to be full of people well above my skill level of (1.10kd). In the WZ settings it's showing my location has changed so I know the Vpn is working just not the way I thought 🤣

19 hours ago, jonnyg56 said:

Thanks l2eactionz,  the lobbies are worse when I have the Vpn running. I end up switching it off and just using geo filter. They seem to be full of people well above my skill level of (1.10kd). In the WZ settings it's showing my location has changed so I know the Vpn is working just not the way I thought 🤣

That's why I gave up with vpn until I realised i was using it wrong. There's loads of stuff people are doing behind the scenes and us normal people will never get access to compared to the so amazing youtube streamers lol who have all the benefits to "create content to keep call of duty relevant and show what is(isnt) possible to keep us all playing and trying to reach those fake 30kill games"

In my experience vpn does work using 3074 and 443 but not every game.

My lobbies are always 1.2 plus but using vpn can get 0.8 lobbies

I'm not sure how multiplayer plays out as current testing shows complete different results using a vpn and optimising your own ping hinders the lag compensation and you get delay from my results so far

10 minutes ago, l2eactionz said:

That's why I gave up with vpn until I realised i was using it wrong. There's loads of stuff people are doing behind the scenes and us normal people will never get access to compared to the so amazing youtube streamers lol who have all the benefits to "create content to keep call of duty relevant and show what is(isnt) possible to keep us all playing and trying to reach those fake 30kill games"

In my experience vpn does work using 3074 and 443 but not every game.

My lobbies are always 1.2 plus but using vpn can get 0.8 lobbies

I'm not sure how multiplayer plays out as current testing shows complete different results using a vpn and optimising your own ping hinders the lag compensation and you get delay from my results so far

I will keep experimenting then as i must be missing something. The lobbies I'm getting are defo above my skill level at the mo. 🙄

9 minutes ago, jonnyg56 said:

I will keep experimenting then as i must be missing something. The lobbies I'm getting are defo above my skill level at the mo. 🙄

What vpn are you using and have you made sure to only use 3074 and 443?

How are you judging the skill of the lobby vs coming up against someone better than you?. Use the warzone websites where you can track your games and get a breakdown of lobby kd ratios?

20 hours ago, jonnyg56 said:

Sorry to spam very tired from work. If you're using a UK vpn location not much will change and if you geo uk the same thing will happen. If you geo really far away you will also have high ping. The problem you have and everyone else in the uk and Europe is WE are much better than the average American. Getting low kd lobbies is harder for that reason alone.

Another reason why most successful high level streamer is from America or Canada just takes a half decent play to look great and they are away.

I just checked my cod tracker.gg and I have 0.74 lobbies up to 1.23 lobbies using Nigeria and Singapore as my locations

3 hours ago, l2eactionz said:

What vpn are you using and have you made sure to only use 3074 and 443?

I've been using nolag and have 3074 udp and 443 tcp

How are you judging the skill of the lobby vs coming up against someone better than you?

I've only had several hours playing fortunes keep and BR but every lobby feels like its full of cheats and sweats so i  just end up turning the VPN off due to friends playing with me and thinking the same..... 

Sorry to spam very tired from work.

I don't think you are spamming, any help i can get i will take 👌

I've tried 4 or 5 different servers nolag offer and forced geo filter to use the servers closest to my location. I will start tracking using the WZ websites to track KD etc.

Thanks for all the tips...👍

Ive messed with all the router settings that much i think i might do a hard reset and start fresh.🤣