Big swings in VPN speeds between app & hybrid vpn

wrighty338

Bit the bullet on nordvpn this morning, for a quick start i used their app to connect and testing the speeds i was highly surprised at only a few mb less speed than normal - still 60+ out of 69-70mb download

To cover off my computer & phone without needing the app every time Iv since setup hybrid VPN as per the nord guide https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1047410932/Netduma-setup-with-NordVPN.htm

But on manual setup im getting 10-15mb down and 12-14mb up :lol: I used the app to check which ovpn profile to download from https://nordvpn.com/ovpn/ iv tried both tcp & udp profiles and a couple of different server numbers (local) but get the same much slower result

Am i missing something on the manual setup that is drastically reducing speed?

• Administrators

It will be slower using the router, what you received through it is about the best you can hope for using OpenVPN which is why we usually recommend you apply the VPN only to the application/service/ports needed so the rest of the device can use your normal connection at regular speeds. If you use Wireguard instead then you can achieve up to ~100Mbps through the router.

Got a reply from Nord CS - not what i wanted really :lol:

Furthermore, at this time, the NordLynx protocol is only available on Linux, iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows NordVPN applications.

Please note that the downside to OpenVPN is that it is not scalable in its current architecture. It runs as a monolithic process and cannot run multi-threaded.

This means that if you have a beefy processor with 8 cores and each of the core has 8 threads, OpenVPN will use only a single thread in one of the available cores.

Regarding routers - they do not have powerful CPUs, thus encrypting and decrypting OpenVPN traffic is a real challenge for them. For that reason, the speed can drop by a large amount.

You could try increasing your speed by connecting to a few different servers (preferably to the ones in yours or neighboring country), changing between TCP and UDP protocols, enabling QoS and changing Upload and Download to 100Mbps, disabling SPI Firewall and NAT Acceleration (if your router has one). You could also try looking for the most optimal MTU value on your router which could be in the range from 1300 to 1500.

If these changes do not help and you are getting better speeds while connected to the same servers with our software on your computer, then, unfortunately, your router's hardware cannot encrypt the internet traffic fast enough and this is the reason for speed drop. In this case, there is nothing that we can suggest you, unfortunately.

Let us know if you have any other issues or questions

might have a play around but i can live with the app

45 minutes ago, wrighty338 said:

Got a reply from Nord CS - not what i wanted really :lol:

might have a play around but i can live with the app

OK, once they can actually provide config files, it should be much better for you.

If you have any access to a Linux system, or are able to create a Linux VM/Install WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), I'm sure we can work out a way of getting you a config file to use in the mean time. If you're interested in having a go, check out this article I found: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/instruction-config-nordvpn-wireguard-nordlynx-on-openwrt/89976