xr1000 pppoe

I been reading about the upload issue with pppoe and you should add a router or switch before the xr1000 to handle pppoe, does any router work? And how exactly should that be setup, the router and the xr1000 run pppoe or just the router before the XR? I have an r7000 and r1750 would those work fine with handling the pppoe? 

9 hours ago, Rylo said:

I been reading about the upload issue with pppoe and you should add a router or switch before the xr1000 to handle pppoe, does any router work? And how exactly should that be setup, the router and the xr1000 run pppoe or just the router before the XR? I have an r7000 and r1750 would those work fine with handling the pppoe? 

Yeah pretty much any router that has the option to configure PPPoE, which should be most routers these days.

Then, you'd connect the XR to that router using DHCP and put the XRs WAN IP in the DMZ of the PPPoE router.

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Yeah pretty much any router that has the option to configure PPPoE, which should be most routers these days.

Then, you'd connect the XR to that router using DHCP and put the XRs WAN IP in the DMZ of the PPPoE router.

Should I disable DHCP server and Wifi on the router that the XR will be connecting too? 

and I’m assuming it should go, modem to new router internet port then any lan port of that router to any lan port of the xr1000 not the internet port?

58 minutes ago, Rylo said:

Should I disable DHCP server and Wifi on the router that the XR will be connecting too? 

You can leave it pretty much standard, the only modifications you'll need to make on that router is to enter the PPPoE details.

59 minutes ago, Rylo said:

and I’m assuming it should go, modem to new router internet port then any lan port of that router to any lan port of the xr1000 not the internet port?

Yep, that's correct!

16 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

You can leave it pretty much standard, the only modifications you'll need to make on that router is to enter the PPPoE details.

Yep, that's correct!

So whenever I set that up the xr1000 doesn’t get any internet and just says there’s no Ethernet cable plugged into the router internet port I’m assuming I have something setup wrong lol

34 minutes ago, Rylo said:

So whenever I set that up the xr1000 doesn’t get any internet and just says there’s no Ethernet cable plugged into the router internet port I’m assuming I have something setup wrong lol

Oh my apologies, I misread your previous comment. You'll need to connect the cable from the other router to the Internet port of the XR1000.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Oh my apologies, I misread your previous comment. You'll need to connect the cable from the other router to the Internet port of the XR1000.

Perfect thank you so much, is there any recommendations to what IPs both routers should be? The first router I have seen to 192.168.1.2 and the xr1000 changed to 10.0.0.1

• Administrators

The IPs of each router don't matter really and won't give you any benefits by changing it to anything different. The XR changed to 10.0.0.1 to avoid conflict with the new router that uses the same LAN IP

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The IPs of each router don't matter really and won't give you any benefits by changing it to anything different. The XR changed to 10.0.0.1 to avoid conflict with the new router that uses the same LAN IP

Perfect, Thank you guys. Have a good day 🙂