upnp not detecting gaming pc

nferguzl

Upgraded to the latest R2 firmware and did a factory reset, and low and behold upnp started working correctly. I just porforwarded pc port 3074 and upnp started to do its magic. 

5 hours ago, nferguzl said:

Upgraded to the latest R2 firmware and did a factory reset, and low and behold upnp started working correctly. I just porforwarded pc port 3074 and upnp started to do its magic. 

Excellent, that's great to hear, thanks for letting us know. If you have any further issues please don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Upnp is still a hit or miss. How can I portforward manually for multiple gaming devices?

Both the pc and ps5 try to open port 3074 so always one will give open nat while the other will show moderate. When upnp works correctly it shows the device opening internal port 3074 and external port 3xxx. But I also notice the external port changes after each game launch. Any ideas of how to setup this manually?

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, nferguzl said:

Upnp is still a hit or miss. How can I portforward manually for multiple gaming devices?

Both the pc and ps5 try to open port 3074 so always one will give open nat while the other will show moderate. When upnp works correctly it shows the device opening internal port 3074 and external port 3xxx. But I also notice the external port changes after each game launch. Any ideas of how to setup this manually?

That's the hard part with multiple gaming devices, they want the same port most of the time, that's actually working as it should then, if they're both getting 3074 and a different external port that is the way they can use the same one without a conflict.

I also noticed the xr1000 UPnP implementation detects my DVR and NAS and opens the respective ports; but the R2 only detects the NAS. So I have to manually forward the DVR’s port. Also when I open the xbox networking NAT test it never fails to detect and open the correct port in the R2. Since both routers have DumaOS this leads me to believe there must be something that can be done to improve UPnP’s workings. Which settings if any could improve the UPnP R2 implementation if any and could this be improved in future firmware?

• Administrators

Do you notice any issues with the DVR when connected directly to the R2? The XR range utilizes Netgear settings exclusively so we don't touch that or have any input on it and the R2 is just our settings completely. In theory UPnP is quite simple, the device requests a port it needs and UPnP opens it, just normal web browsing uses ports but UPnP doesn't show that otherwise you'd have many many entries but every device still works, it's something we can look into but there are no settings as is you could use to get it to appear.

The DVR works fine with the R2, its just that UPnP does not detect and open the ports so I have to manually port forward those. It’s just not a visual problem since I cannot access the DVR from outside the network. The xr1000’s UPnP does detect the DVR and forwards the right ports. 

• Administrators

Ahh I see, is remote viewing/access a feature constantly enabled on it? I can see where the issue might come in there, is it possible to disable that functionality and then enable it so that UPnP can try to open the port?

Yeah the DVR has a UPnP checkmark to enable/disable. It is on by default. Does Netduma have I specific model or brands that are more compatible? My DVR is a hikvision model DS-7108HQHI. The NAS is a synology and works great in both the xr1000 and R2.

So should I try to disable and reboot the R2 then enable and reboot again?

I tested by toggling the DVR's UPnP switch and rebooting but that didn't work. Manual port forwarding works fine with the DVR anyhow.

I found a solution to my problem. I used portmapper app to edit the routers UPnP table, so when the R2 does not open up the port I just store it in the router with portmapper and the ps5 does not conflict anymore because the R2 checks that the 3074 port is taken from the upnp table and assigns a different external port. When the port is assigned manually, the R2's UPnP cannot see that and assigns the same 3074 port and will therefore conflict and will show moderate nat.