upnp not detecting gaming pc

nferguzl

With the new firmware only my ps5 is getting recognized correctly by upnp. If I open cod vanguard on ps5 dumaos opens port 3074 automatically but fails to do this when launching the same game on PC. Reverting back to previous firmware solves this issue. Is this a bug?

• Administrators

Is it causing any NAT issues in game or does it appear to be more of a visual issue of not appearing? If you reboot the router, wait 2 minutes then launch the game does it show then?

Hi Fraser, it's not only a visual issue. I check the upnp settings page on dumaos when launching the game and can check the ports that upnp opens. It says demonwareportmapping under description. I have already done some troubleshooting by rebooting the router and the pc. The R2 sometimes does recognize the PC and opens the correct port but only when I also turn the ps5 on; as soon as I turn off my ps5, the R2 fails to open the PC gaming port.

Right now I'm on older 3.0.394 firmware and just noticed the same thing happens. Rebooting the R2 as you say solves the issue. Any suggestions? 

When the port appears in upnp the game always shows open nat. The problem is that after some time the R2 ceases to open the port in which case the game shows moderate nat and only a reboot solves the issue.

• Administrators

When it's not showing check your NAT status on Windows do the following:

1. Go to Settings > Gaming > Xbox Networking
  2. It will automatically run the test, this will usually fail
  3. Click 'Fix it' and wait for the confirmation message
  4. Click 'Check again'

It should come back with your NAT type and show open, then check in game, is it open and does UPnP show the port?

Under settings -> gaming i only see three options: xbox game bar, captures and game mode. I'm on win 11 btw. 

Edit: installed the xbox companion app now I can do the test mentioned above. After doing the test nat type shows open. I also notice the router opens a new port which says teredo under description but it is not port 3074 but 61874. When I launch the game it still shows moderate nat. 

Its working now after closing the blizzard agent and checking xbox networking a second time. But does this mean I always have to check for nat for the R2 to open the correct port?

It opened port 3074 only once which gave open nat, but now it no longer works. After checking for open nat it only opens teredo port 61874 but not 3074 any more, so it is always showing moderate nat. 

• Administrators

But in the app it's still showing as Open? If so I suspect the in game reading is incorrect or very particular as it's impossible for the PC to have an Open NAT but moderate for a specific game

The pc shows open nat because the router correctly opens teredo port 61874 when checking with the companion app. What the R2 is failing to do is open port 3074 when launching the game hence showing moderate nat. If I use a manual port forward rule opening port 3074 open nat shows every single time in game. But this scenario is not ideal because my ps5 will try to open the same port and fail to launch the game. Any other solutions?

Nope that didn't work. What I don't get is why the R2 opens the 3074 port on the PC only after a router reboot and subsequently fails, but works fine every time with the ps5. It's as if it fails to recognize the PC as a gaming device. I've tried changing the device type to playstation or game console to no avail. 

• Administrators

I suspect the console steals the port and then that prompts the router to detect the traffic on that port and assign it to the PC as well, without the PS5 on first and the router being rebooted the PS5 can't steal it and correctly assigns to the PC. As a test, port forward 3075 to the PS5, 3074 to the PC and disable UPnP, then see if it works please

Sounds logical, but taking the ps5 out of the equation as I did after the router reboot (I didn't turn the ps5 on at all), should prompt the router to always open port 3074. But what in fact happens is that it works the first time the game is launched but not subsequent times. Let me test as you say, and will report back. 

Actually the R2 opens the port everytime up until the PC is restarted. Once the Pc reboots, the R2 no longer opens the port. So it looses track of the PC when it restarts, and the only way for the R2 to keep opening that port is by rebooting the router. 

10 hours ago, nferguzl said:

Actually the R2 opens the port everytime up until the PC is restarted. Once the Pc reboots, the R2 no longer opens the port. So it looses track of the PC when it restarts, and the only way for the R2 to keep opening that port is by rebooting the router. 

Just to eliminate some external factors, could you please disable Geo-filter if you're using it? We've seen it can intervene with NAT occasionally.

Also, just for reference, can you let us know the exact make and model of your modem?

I'm interested as to why the port forwarding rules didn't work, can you send a screenshot of how they're currently configured so we can see if we missed anything.