EA - NHL Servers

Netduma, 

Any chance we can get a Profile/Category - Gaming - Applications for EA's NHL series, currently NHL 22.  I know it's not as large as EA's FIFA or Madden, but there is a devoted fan base that I feel could be helped by a Geo-Filter profile and/or category.  Ping is everything in NHL.  I believe there are roughly 8 server sites (VA, OH, IA, TX, CA, and 3 in Canada).  We're having trouble with a wide variance of ping if we do not limit it to the most local servers.  Some of the further servers are good, but the risk of opening up them is too great for poor servers in the same local.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

NHL players everywhere

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the extremely late reply Liam.  I'm on Xbox Series X and using the Netgear XR 1000 (Firmware 1.0.0.64_1.0.49 & DumaOS 3.1.1). 

EA's NHL series has only been on consoles for the last several years; NHL 22 is the current.  EA made the switch in NHL to the Frostbite engine this year (similar to FIFA & Madden).  Based on prior years, NHL 23 should release in October.  Thanks again for any help! 

I've used the Geo-Filter with moderate success.  If I use Ping Assist (max of 5), the Geo-Filter is somewhat useless.  I end up with games outside my Geo-Filter and well above a useable ping for NHL.  If I keep the Ping Assist at "0" my filters work, but it typically takes longer to find games. 

When I first log into NHL, several servers (10+ in the USA, Canada, and Europe) populate for a few seconds, too fast to capture all of them.  I typically only utilize 4 areas (Texas, Iowa, Ohio, and Virginia) in my Geo-Filter.  It would be helpful if we could see the initial servers for a minute or two so we could capture them.  Also, is there a way to lock the map on the Geo-Filter, it constantly zooms in and out while I look at servers and try to make adjustments.

10 hours ago, mpmatx said:

I've used the Geo-Filter with moderate success.  If I use Ping Assist (max of 5), the Geo-Filter is somewhat useless.  I end up with games outside my Geo-Filter and well above a useable ping for NHL.  If I keep the Ping Assist at "0" my filters work, but it typically takes longer to find games. 

When I first log into NHL, several servers (10+ in the USA, Canada, and Europe) populate for a few seconds, too fast to capture all of them.  I typically only utilize 4 areas (Texas, Iowa, Ohio, and Virginia) in my Geo-Filter.  It would be helpful if we could see the initial servers for a minute or two so we could capture them.  Also, is there a way to lock the map on the Geo-Filter, it constantly zooms in and out while I look at servers and try to make adjustments.

Set Ping Assist to the maximum ping you'd like to play in-game. I'd suggest about 30-40, that might speed things up for you.

We might be able to get this added to Ping Heatmap so you can always check on the servers, I'll speak with the team and see if we can get that added.

Access to NHL in Ping Heatmap would be awesome!

The issue with Ping Assist in NHL is that the ping to the server isn't the same as in-game ping.  I have 1GB fiber and can regularly get low ping (7-14ms) to servers.  The issue is really server ping vs in-game ping.  I live roughly 200 miles from the closest group of servers and regularly get sub-10ms in both server ping and in-game ping.  However, the further the server, the more I see an increase in the in-game ping.  The next closest servers are roughly 950mi away, I regularly get 10-12ms server ping, but the in-game ping is between 35-50ms.  When I am matched on the servers in Canada (2,000+ miles away) I can still get a sub-20ms server ping, but the in-game ping shoots up to 55-80ms at best.  I realize that in some games 80ms might be a good ping, in NHL, unfortunately, it's brutal.  That's why I try to avoid Ping Assist or set it to a max of 5ms.  Even at a max 5ms Ping Assist, I still get "high" ping games (50-80+).  I should also mention that in NHL there is a "Max Ping" search setting in-game, however, the longer the search for a game is, the more that internal "Max Ping" setting is ignored. 

Thanks again Liam!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Just following up to see if there is a plan to add NHL '23 (Global Release today) to the Ping Map?  I'm still seeing the same issues on my XR1000, GeoFilter saying 10-15, but in game it's 40-60+.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again,

mpmatx

1 hour ago, mpmatx said:

Hey guys,

Just following up to see if there is a plan to add NHL '23 (Global Release today) to the Ping Map?  I'm still seeing the same issues on my XR1000, GeoFilter saying 10-15, but in game it's 40-60+.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again,

mpmatx

I'll let the team know the big release is today and we'll see if we can get it on Ping Heatmap! 

Are ALL devices on the network connected to your XR1000 or do some still connect to the upstream router/modem? 

What device are you playing on? How is it connected to the XR1000? Do you know anything inbetween your gaming device and the XR such as powerline extenders, Wi-Fi boosters, etc?

Liam,

I'm in the Xbox family of consoles, XSX, XSS, & Xbox One.  When playing I have them wired to the XR (LAN 1) and ports forwarded accordingly.  There is only one console playing at any one time.  I have the XR1000 connected to a Fiber Modem as a passthrough to the XR.  No boosters etcetera.

Thanks again!

mpmatx

Fraser,

I don't have it on due to the fact that typically when I play, I'm the only one home and it's the only thing going.  If I turn on QoS, it's dedicated as 30% Down / 20% Up for the XSX (Bandwidth 900/875).  Ran the speed test on the XSX,  23ms, 800+ Down & 350+ Up Open NAT.

That said, as I mentioned earlier this summer:

The issue with Ping Assist in NHL is that the ping to the server isn't the same as in-game ping.  I have 1GB fiber and can regularly get low ping (7-14ms) to servers.  The issue is really server ping vs in-game ping.  I live roughly 200 miles from the closest group of servers and regularly get sub-10ms in both server ping and in-game ping.  However, the further the server, the more I see an increase in the in-game ping.  The next closest servers are roughly 950mi away, I regularly get 10-12ms server ping, but the in-game ping is between 35-50ms.  When I am matched on the servers in Canada (2,000+ miles away) I can still get a sub-20ms server ping, but the in-game ping shoots up to 55-80ms at best.  I realize that in some games 80ms might be a good ping, in NHL, unfortunately, it's brutal.  That's why I try to avoid Ping Assist or set it to a max of 5ms.  Even at a max 5ms Ping Assist, I still get "high" ping games (50-80+).  I should also mention that in NHL there is a "Max Ping" search setting in-game, however, the longer the search for a game is, the more that internal "Max Ping" setting is ignored. 

Hope that information helps.

Thank you,

mpmatx

Fraser,

I can try on Monday.  Unfortunately, whenever I reboot the router it tends to blow out all of my settings and I lose my Allow and Deny server lists.  Since they haven't been a part of my Geo-Filter, I haven't played on them recently.

Thanks,

mpmatx

Sorry - a few days away.  No luck on the Canadian servers.  It seems I can't get a game on anything other than the ones in VA/DC area which up until today had been a consistent 20-25 ping in game, 13-18ms in DumaOS to server.  Attached is a photo of when I opened up NHL 23.  I believe these are the "current" servers.  That said, there have been some issues with the game that may be server related.  There was mention of "new" additional servers, but I have yet to be able to capture them.  Also, could my DNS change the way DumaOS sees servers?  Currently using Google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4), but could change back to automatic DNS if you think that would help.

I played a few on these servers today: 

ec2-3-235-255-199.compute-1.amazonaws.com - VA/DC ping to server 14ms, in-game 43+

ec2-3-235-255-204.compute-1.amazonaws.com - VA/DC ping to server 12ms, in-game 42+

50349560d1efbabf - 52.191.239.96 - VA/DC ping to server 14ms, in-game 43+

2e0f7641accdb0b5 - 15.181.205.65 - VA/DC ping to server 13ms, in-game 16+ 

NHL22 Oct 5.HEIC 307193336_NHL23Oct21.HEIC

• Administrators

That all seems fine, it could be that because it's quite a new game there are a lot of people playing it currently and that's putting strain on the servers as the ping on your side to the server hasn't changed at all. In that case I would suggest setting everything up as you want it and then make a back up in settings so you can speed up setup should it happen again

I was going to write about how it is EA netcode and server etc. but I just experienced same thing. I have XBX with same router as OP. I have 1 gig dl/ul.

In game my ping shows 11 and static, but DumasOS shows it constantly changing between 16 to 29 to 40 to 50 within seconds.  The VA server is the closest one to me about 300 miles away.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
12 hours ago, Ivanbad said:

Any word when NHL will be added? Would love to be able to use network monitoring dpi properly?

I'll check with the team on this, as you know we are working on DPI and have some good systems in place now to do this more efficiently!

• 1 month later...