access plex when xr700 is used in adaptive mode

Hi I am trying to figure out how to get my plex login page to open on my xr700 when it is in adaptive mode?  

I have an orbi mesh system set up with my xr700 connected to it just to stream plex and when I log into the xr700 and get plex all setup and then click on open plex it pops up the login page like normal and I enter the user name and password and instead of opening plex it opens the main orbi router page.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get it to open my plex page and not the orbi login page?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It may be a question better suited for Netgear as it's their settings but we'll do what we can.

Probably the easiest way to resolve it is to unplug the Orbi and then set it up, then once done plug it back in. What is the URL it tries to go to, is it routerlogin.net? If so then there is no way that I am aware of to specify which router that redirects to if they're both NG routers. You could try replacing the routerlogin.net part of the URL with the XR700 LAN IP address and see if that works.

HI and thanks for your reply

It goes to router.login.net/plex but still logs back to the main orbi router.

How can I change the default address that it wants to log into? 

When I try to change it on the address bar it is locked out.

when I disconnected the orbi I was unable to login to the xr700 router at all no matter what I tried.  I figure I would have to reset it to factory and log into plex that way but I believe I did that when I initially set it to adaptive mode.

I did find out though if I connect a lan cable to the xr700 I can then get the main page to open in plex like it should and when I switched back to wifi it would not go to plex anymore.

I connected to the xr700 wifi and clicked on open plex and it opened up the xr700 router page which makes no sense to me that I can get it to work with the lan cable but not over wifi?

10 hours ago, Viper said:

when I disconnected the orbi I was unable to login to the xr700 router at all no matter what I tried.  I figure I would have to reset it to factory and log into plex that way but I believe I did that when I initially set it to adaptive mode.

I did find out though if I connect a lan cable to the xr700 I can then get the main page to open in plex like it should and when I switched back to wifi it would not go to plex anymore.

I connected to the xr700 wifi and clicked on open plex and it opened up the xr700 router page which makes no sense to me that I can get it to work with the lan cable but not over wifi?

When you refer to 'adaptive' mode are you talking about AP mode? If so, then the XR is behaving as an access point and therefore you'll only be able to get to it's settings page when connected to it via ethernet. Could you possibly take it out of AP mode temporarily then try again?

Yes but when I put it back into AP mode it goes back to the orbi page when I try to open plex.

When I did get it to open with having it connected with an ethernet cable to the xr700 I made a web page shortcut which I saved to my desktop so now I just click on that which takes me to my plex server and logs me right in.

As for getting it to work the other way over wifi I am at a loss as to why it doesn't work.  Maybe they didnt think about it in the programming so it might not be possible over wifi?

• Administrators

So in AP mode just to be clear it still works over ethernet? It's interesting as in AP mode most features of the router are actually disabled so I would expect it to work fully or not at all. If you leave it in router mode does it work over wifi?

In AP mode it only works if the ethernet cable is plugged directly into the xr700 and not the orbi.

If I leave the router in router mode it works but then I cannot have my orbi on since they conflict with each other and the xr700 doesnt work well anymore with having stuff connect to it for internet over wifi

• Administrators

What do you mean they conflict with each other exactly as that is something we can resolve. If it doesn't work well over WiFi then AP mode isn't necessary as that is basically what it's used for to just provide WiFi

The last time I tried to get it setup to work like that I hooked a lan cable from the orbi to the other router and when I got them both up and running the network crashed and I had to reset them to factory defaults in order to get one to work again.

I don't have a bridge anymore so I can only run 1 lan cable from the modem to the 1 router but in the past when I did the network did the samething and both routers froze and I had to reset to factory defaults to get internet back

Not sure this will help, but I have the same setup you mention. I have to append the plex port to get mine to work once its setup. I have two servers, one at 32400 and at 32401.

One resides on the netgear, the other is a Ubuntu box. I get a lot better performance from the Ubuntu box running plex then the router BTW, we can stream multiple 4k streams from the Ubuntu machine with no issues or stuttering etc..

I.E. 192.168.1.1:32400  

Otherwise it will open the router default port.

Brett

10 hours ago, Viper said:

The last time I tried to get it setup to work like that I hooked a lan cable from the orbi to the other router and when I got them both up and running the network crashed and I had to reset them to factory defaults in order to get one to work again.

I don't have a bridge anymore so I can only run 1 lan cable from the modem to the 1 router but in the past when I did the network did the samething and both routers froze and I had to reset to factory defaults to get internet back

Sounds as though you may have connected them via both LAN ports, causing a loop. That would cause the network to crash.

Disconnect the cable currently connected to the WAN/Internet port on the XR700. Then access it's interface and change the LAN IP to be 192.168.2.1, such that it doesn't clash with the Orbi. Power off the XR700 after this.

Then, connect an ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on the Orbi, then connect the other end to the WAN/Internet port on the XR700. Then power the XR700 back on. That should all work properly then.

Thank you and that did work.

After testing it for a bit I am thinking that I prefer it in adaptive mode for the reason that with this set up if I want to log into plex I need to connect to the xr700 router and in adaptive with the shortcut to plex I created I can connect to plex with being on the main router or the xr700 both work with that shortcut so I might switch it back later on. 

23 hours ago, BSilverthorn said:

Not sure this will help, but I have the same setup you mention. I have to append the plex port to get mine to work once its setup. I have two servers, one at 32400 and at 32401.

One resides on the netgear, the other is a Ubuntu box. I get a lot better performance from the Ubuntu box running plex then the router BTW, we can stream multiple 4k streams from the Ubuntu machine with no issues or stuttering etc..

I.E. 192.168.1.1:32400  

Otherwise it will open the router default port.

Brett

I was thinking about creating a nas as well but dont have the money for one now at the moment 

8 hours ago, BSilverthorn said:

You can build a pretty nice one with a Raspberry PI 4 and two thumb drives. You can always go bigger, but you can get a NAS built for under 150 bucks with a few thumb drives and plex running on the Pi.

not a bad idea I might have to give it a try.

Do you have a tutorial on how to set one up since I have never worked with raspberry pi at all?