XR500 issues

Kahari

I’m wondering if it’s my router causing network issues. I’ve had techs come out to check my internet and even did some troubleshooting with Gearhead support with my modem. About two months ago, they downgraded my XR500 firmware from the latest firmware to a previous one (I’m currently on V2.3.2.114) because they were saying the latest firmware has been known to cause intermittent connection issues. But every morning I wake up to slow speeds, connection issues and my modem having one of the lights amber colored. (See photo) When I go to bed all lights are solid green, but somewhere throughout the night this happens. I have to do a hard reset of both modem and router each day which is getting pretty frustrating. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

03850A56-E776-4BDA-BC98-CD3B4E9AB1DC.jpeg

Which light is that on the modem? Have you checked the modem to see what it might be indicating? What's the make and model of the modem perhaps I can look it up?

When the connection is poor/intermittent, are you able to get to the XR500's interface by going to 192.168.1.1?

Instead of rebooting both at the same time, have you tried rebooting just one to see if you can narrow down which one is causing the problem?

The Modem model is the CM1150V. The LED indicator for this is the Ethernet port. In the manual it states when it’s Green it’s getting 1000 mpbs. When Amber, it’s only getting 10 - 500 mbps. I have tried only rebooting one and that’s why it seems like it might be the router. When I power cycle the modem only, after all lights come back as green, the internet light on my XR500 is Amber. So I have to power cycle both to get back up and running the speeds I’m supposed to be getting. When I run a network diagnostic on my computer, sometimes it says the DMZ is not working.

• 2 weeks later...

I just updated to V2.3.2.130. I’m getting this error message when I go to geo-filter. (See attached) Also I can’t add my device to the geo-filter. When I press the add button it does nothing. I’ve tried hard resetting the router but it didn’t work. Please help.

A2E8549D-3CD1-4663-83F9-62040AD5EF1A.jpeg

UPDATE: I fixed it. Had to do a full reboot of the router. But had another question: Is it better to add my PC as a game console rather than as a computer? Also when it comes to traffic prioritization, I mainly play Warzone, but it doesn’t have it as an option in the QOS settings. What should I choose?

13 hours ago, Kahari said:

UPDATE: I fixed it. Had to do a full reboot of the router. But had another question: Is it better to add my PC as a game console rather than as a computer? Also when it comes to traffic prioritization, I mainly play Warzone, but it doesn’t have it as an option in the QOS settings. What should I choose?

In that case yes it may be best to set the PCs device type to be 'Playstation' and then when adding it to Geo-filter select 'Choose manually'.

I’m sorry I might have been a little unclear. I mean under the traffic prioritization in QOS at the bottom left. (Not Geo-Filter) You can add a device for traffic prioritization.

8 minutes ago, Kahari said:

I’m sorry I might have been a little unclear. I mean under the traffic prioritization in QOS at the bottom left. (Not Geo-Filter) You can add a device for traffic prioritization.

No problem, if you add the PC and select 'Games console' as the traffic type then that should work for you.