Ping (under load)

Hello,

I have been trying to tweak my settings a bit to get a better grade and thus lowering my ping. My best and most consistent grade is C (under load) the other two are usually A+. To my understanding, congestion control should fix or at least help with this issue. With the control on “always”, I set the sliders to 100% and work my way down 5% before each test. Also tried the same with share excess off. After playing with the sliders for hours, I was unable to get a better score. Sure… I did occasionally get a B or even A, but nothing consistent. Am I missing something, Is there any other settings I can try? I’m using the XR500, modem is the TC7610 and the ISP is xfinity. 

• Administrators

We're still improving Benchmark results on the XR range so what I would recommend is doing that same procedure of trying 5% increments but saturate your network with streams, downloads etc while following this guide to see what percentage gives you the best results: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're still improving Benchmark results on the XR range so what I would recommend is doing that same procedure of trying 5% increments but saturate your network with streams, downloads etc while following this guide to see what percentage gives you the best results: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

I’ll try this tonight, thank you! I also have the R1, is the benchmark any better?

I was able to run a test with PingPlotter and this is what I got. The test was done with wifi off, so the only device connected was the pc doing the test. On the DumaOS I had the congestion control off.

52DFBF09-2D87-45BF-BE35-150B86D94DED.jpeg

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So nothing was saturating the network at all? I can't see the values exactly but it doesn't look too bad as a baseline

As far as I know, All the devices where offline and the only program running on the pc was PingPlotter. The range is around 12ms with spikes up to 20ms. Apologies for the quality of the image. 😅 Do you think my modem is causing the spikes or would it be more ISP related?

• Administrators

12-20ms isn't too bad really but that would be down to the ISP most likely. Do try with saturating the network and trying different percentages to get the graph down as much as possible and you should notice a difference.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

12-20ms isn't too bad really but that would be down to the ISP most likely. Do try with saturating the network and trying different percentages to get the graph down as much as possible and you should notice a difference.

Ok, I’ll try this and get back with my results. Thanks!

it might be bugged, my connection benchmark never worked properly before, but i had put ddwrt software, than flashed back to original xr700 software, than to dumo os 3 and now its working, something along the way fixed it, either bugged or my old isp causing the issue lol

qoa1.png

qos2.PNG

Ok, Here’s my update… When testing with my network saturated, my results did not vary. So I decided to dig a bit deeper and check my modem’s log. On that log I found a few critical errors that caught my attention and after some research I learned that there’s a problem with either my modem or the line. I called my ISP about the issue and they said it was my modem. I was expecting they say that, but I wanted my call on record in case I need it later. I went to the store and picked up the CM2000. After replacing the modem my score improved to an A and my download speed is now about 100mbps more than before. I guess my ISP was right, but I won’t tell them that 😂. Ok… so maybe my modem was bad, but I’m still having issues with the XR500. For one, QOS doesn’t seem to be working since there’s no noticeable change when testing. And two, the 2.4GHz band is faulty. I have a few devices in the house that that don’t use 5GHz and none are working. I tried a factory reset of the router and that didn’t work. Replaced it with the R1 and now everything is up and running. What could be the issue with the XR500, Is it hardware or software related?

Could you please completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, then run a Connection Benchmark and post the results?

With the Wi-Fi, were you using SmartConnect, or did you have the networks separated? Are the devices struggling to connect IoT or smart home devices by chance? I had a similar issue recently and the best solution is to disable SmartConnect so you then have two separate networks.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Could you please completely disable QoS from the three-line menu in Congestion Control, then run a Connection Benchmark and post the results?

With the Wi-Fi, were you using SmartConnect, or did you have the networks separated? Are the devices struggling to connect IoT or smart home devices by chance? I had a similar issue recently and the best solution is to disable SmartConnect so you then have two separate networks.

I’m pretty sure I tested it this way too, since I had CC completely off before I started tweaking the settings. I don’t mind giving it another try, just to be sure. Will do this later when I’m home and post the results.

For the Wi-Fi, I tried with SmartConnect off and with 5GHz completely off to isolate the problem. Yes, Smart devices are the issue right now. My cameras to be exact. I can connect when on the network, but can’t live stream when off. I don’t have this issue with the R1. Wish I could keep the R1 and call it a day, but I need the 5GHz for other devices that are struggling on the 2.4GHz. I’m in a bit of a pickle here… 😅

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you do the PingPlotter test again with the new modem? 

Try making a guest 2.4GHz just for the smart devices and see if they're able to connect to that

Yes, before and after factory reset of the XR500. I’ll test with the CC off and post my results.

Didn’t think of doing this since I isolated the main connection, but It’s worth a try imo. I’ll let you know the outcome. 

Last night I tried with the guest network and was able to get everything working... until today. Can't access the live feed of my cameras outside of my network. 

As for QoS.. Here are the tests I did this morning.

Connection Benchmark.png

PingPlotter-QoS Disabled.png

PingPlotter-QoS Off.png

PingPlotter-QoS 70%.png

20 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you enable the option on guest WiFi for the devices to be able to interact with your network?

Under what conditions were the PingPlotter tests done?

Yes, otherwise it doesn’t let me set them up either.

I disabled the Wi-Fi and only the laptop running PingPlotter was wired to the router. No other programs where open in the background. 

On 2/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I think that's a good idea, the baseline is quite spikey so once that is resolved your overall performance should improve.

In WAN Settings change NAT to Open and see if that resolves the issue with the cameras

Alright.. ISP replaced my drop line and fixed an issue with a box on their main line. This took care of the critical errors on my modem, but I’m still getting all the spikes. Not sure how to proceed with this or if there’s anything I can do about it. As for the Wi-Fi, I turned on share excess and the problem is gone. I added the cameras back to my main network, enabled SmartConnect and everything is running smoothly. The only downside is that with share excess on, my ping test (under load) is now B. My current settings are: CC “always” 70%, BA 11%, TP off. What settings should I mess with? Would it help if I upgrade my bandwidth?

• Administrators

It may take a few days for the spikes to settle but that's a good start! We're still improving the Benchmark results on the XR routers so I wouldn't worry too much about that currently and go on feel or use PingPlotter, saturate your connection with downloads/streams etc and experiment with CC % to see what brings the ping down as much as possible.

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It may take a few days for the spikes to settle but that's a good start! We're still improving the Benchmark results on the XR routers so I wouldn't worry too much about that currently and go on feel or use PingPlotter, saturate your connection with downloads/streams etc and experiment with CC % to see what brings the ping down as much as possible.

When experimenting with CC, is there a specific procedure or just running PingPlotter while adjusting the % is enough? Just want to make sure I’m doing this right. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Pinpon said:

When experimenting with CC, is there a specific procedure or just running PingPlotter while adjusting the % is enough? Just want to make sure I’m doing this right. 

That's all you need to do, it's important to saturate the connection at the same time. Once you've changed the percentage wait 30 seconds to see how it has affected the ping, if it's not good enough then move on. I'd suggest trying intervals of 10 to start with.