Traceroute: Packet Loss on First Hop

Over the past 4-5 days I've been experiencing intermittent packet loss throughout the course of my work day. 

I did a little investigating and learned that the packet loss is coming from the first hop. I'm inexperienced when it comes to network monitoring but my research is pointing that the issue stems from the router. If you look at the attached picture, you can see that at 12:24pm ET I saw 27% packet loss. What are some things I can do to try and eliminate this packet loss? Let me know what additional information is needed from my side. Thank you in advance.

traceroutes.png

latency.PNG

I experienced the issue twice this morning already. The first incident happened around 10:56AM and the second around 12:10PM. Here are a couple of screenshots showing the PL. How should I proceed on troubleshooting this?

image.png.66a43cb4aa39c86b6903278f9369abb5.png

image.png.adcc1706c90ae77a1bc214ccee1c3227.png

It happens randomly throughout the day. I stream for a living so it really impacts me when it happens. OBS on my streaming pc red bars and everyone from my community notices the lag in both audio/video. On my gaming pc, I lag in-game and my discord audio distorts as well. Both machines are wired and I experience the issue on both computers when it happens.

My setup is Arris S33 > XR1000 > AmpliFi HD Mesh Router. All of my wireless devices connect to the AmpliFi HD and all of my wired devices are connected to the XR100. One of the ethernet cables from my XR1000 runs downstairs to an unmanaged switch (GS108) and that's where I have both computers connected to. I'm not currently using QoS, everything is default (screenshotted). 

image.thumb.png.8daaf96680d14a1c28f102cbf82bb1f7.png

• Administrators

Okay so I definitely think in this instance using QoS would help you, are your speeds actually 100/100? It's possible that DumaOS Classified Games would be prioritizing your game above your stream and causing the lag there so at the very least I would recommend disabling that and see if there is a noticeable difference.

I haven’t effectively used QoS previously so I’d be dabbling for the first time. Do you have suggestions for me to make when looking into it? My internet is actually 1000/40. 

Is there a reason why this issue would suddenly start happening out of nowhere? I wasn’t having any issues for the longest time and then late last week it started. The only thing I can remember that I did was restart my modem/router because my internet had stopped working. 

• Administrators

Okay so for a start you'll need to enter your actual Bandwidth speeds in the Congestion Control menu :menu then we usually recommend 70% for download/upload set to Always. See how that works out to start with. If you restarted the modem then depending on the ISP and how they monitor the connection it could take a little while to stabilize back to how it was previously.

• Administrators

Interesting, I think they use port 80 & 443 instead of RTMP which would be better but it does more explain why you're having the issues. Make a Traffic Prioritization rule for the streaming rule with the following settings:

Source 1-443
Destination 1-443
Protocol TCP/UDP

Normal 
Apply to WAN

then see if you notice a difference please.

18 minutes ago, GloryJean said:

The issue is still happening post changes. I'm going to test removing the XR1000 altogether and only use the AmpliFi HD. In the meantime, are there additional suggestions you can make to help resolve the issue?

Is the rule Fraser suggested detecting and prioritising traffic? What if you disable the rule detecting game traffic such that your stream traffic is being prioritised above the stream, as a test?

3 minutes ago, GloryJean said:

Yes, I enabled Fraser's rule for prioritizing traffic. That is the only rule I had enabled, the ones in the previous screenshots were disabled while I experienced this:

Can you share an updated screenshot of your QoS settings as you did before? It would be good to see if there's further optimisations to be made as well as how the suggested rule is performing.