Misunderstood traffic prior or not?

Okay on qos you can turn off dumaos. Classified games and run your own priorities.

When setting up my own priorities I did source 1-65535 destination 1-65535. Selected playstation and selected normal and wan as I'm wired.

However every other device in my house now has a max through speed after setting sliders below 70% each......SO

When setting up traffic prior there is either a bug when selecting devices or a misunderstanding as what's the point selecting a device if the only thing that matters is the priorities you have selected MEANING Source 1-65535 destination 1-65535 is now running on EVERY DEVICE not just my ps5.

What I'm trying to say is why do we select a device it's either misinformative or misguided. Hopefully this can have an update as it would be nice to just prior everything to a single device AND be able to use congestion control.

NOW I'm realising and starting to understand why people are having more luck minimising the source port to try and make sure its only that device running in those port ranges.

My example

Source port 1-65535

Destination port 1-65535

To playstation

Normal

Apply to wan.

Disable dumaos games.

THIS CONFIG would make you believe you are prioritising ports on your playstation only. But after running speed tests on my phone laptop wired wireless and everything in between. I get my max line speed WHILE my congestion control is set to 70% or lower. As soon as I delete that prior it goes back to normal and congestion control works normally.

Thanks for the time sorry I'm going on. Maybe I have a fault I don't know but selecting a device has no effect on it not effecting any other device that falls into that range

• Administrators

You're correct in that it should only apply to the console, I think given you've prioritized every single port (which wouldn't give the best experience if the console did a game update/download) that it may have gotten confused. If you switch destination to 1024-65535 does it work as expected?

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You're correct in that it should only apply to the console, I think given you've prioritized every single port (which wouldn't give the best experience if the console did a game update/download) that it may have gotten confused. If you switch destination to 1024-65535 does it work as expected?

Yep it works as expected using 81-65535.

Soon as I include 80 it gives max through put on ALL devices. 

I've read alot of people using alot of different configurations but I don't want to limit a port if it is being used. So I've opened as many as I can for the playstation. 

I don't know if this is or isn't optimal as on the call of duty website ports to open are 1935. 3074 3478-3480. However I've seen alot of people saying the warzone servers are using higher end ports in the 30000 to 50000 or so.

I'm not sure how they have monitored it I'm not that technical haha but I have tried things like source 3074 destination 30000 to 50000. But there's definitely more triggers in the source range and there's more triggered in the destination.

I don't really have many issues with warzone and I always know when I'm downloading something or not so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm just wondering if I am creating more problems by opening so many ports for my console or not?

And I also see some backwards settings like source 30000-50000 to destination 3074. Does this actually have an effect in any way. Or does it only work one way

Cheers and merry Christmas 🎄 

• Administrators

Okay so its probably getting confused regarding port 80, we'll take a look at that. 

Well the console certainly won't use that many ports but it won't really cause any issues, if no packets relate to the ports they simply won't be prioritized and all the ones that are used will be. It can have an affect if those ports get used but we recommend using source 1-65535 as the source ports can really be anything - the ports shown on the games sites are for the destination.

Merry Christmas!

On 12/25/2021 at 12:07 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so its probably getting confused regarding port 80, we'll take a look at that. 

Well the console certainly won't use that many ports but it won't really cause any issues, if no packets relate to the ports they simply won't be prioritized and all the ones that are used will be. It can have an affect if those ports get used but we recommend using source 1-65535 as the source ports can really be anything - the ports shown on the games sites are for the destination.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you. Let me know if you find anything on that.

As for all the ports being opened I think it runs alot better. And it allows for ports I have no idea about that are being used to be prioritized. And the ports on Activision only give basic ports.

But there is definitely prioritisation happening in the 30000 - 50000 as it shows up and counts the packets on the qos page.

I think I'll keep it how it is with everything open as there isn't really a negative effect from it. And it's a peace of mind kind of thing.

Just to clarify using an openreach hg612 to xr500 and being wired to ps5. Should I use normal and apply to wan when setting up prior or do I use gaming and voice?

Thank you

• Administrators

Yes use Normal as it is a wired device, I'd suggest using Apply to WAN as well - it may or may not give you a benefit depending on your ISP policy on priority tags but if it doesn't work it won't negatively affect you and if they do allow them then there may be added performance.