DSCP Tagging at router level or device level?

Depends on your infrastructure.

DSCP tags are means to create end to end QoS. So if you have any switches between your PC and router it's better to set it at device level. Switches need to be compatible with DSCP tags or at least honor them. The Netgear Smart plus switches have a setting that lets you honor DSCP tags and the unmanaged switches honor them by default AFAIK. The Smart Pro switches can actively set DSCP flags. 

Note that if you set it on your PC it only works for outbound traffic. So ideally you also need QoS on your router to do the same for incoming traffic. DumaOS attaches DSCP flags to LAN traffic by default if you set it in traffic prioritization as far as I know (I think class EF) 

17 hours ago, Bert said:

Depends on your infrastructure.

DSCP tags are means to create end to end QoS. So if you have any switches between your PC and router it's better to set it at device level. Switches need to be compatible with DSCP tags or at least honor them. The Netgear Smart plus switches have a setting that lets you honor DSCP tags and the unmanaged switches honor them by default AFAIK. The Smart Pro switches can actively set DSCP flags. 

Note that if you set it on your PC it only works for outbound traffic. So ideally you also need QoS on your router to do the same for incoming traffic. DumaOS attaches DSCP flags to LAN traffic by default if you set it in traffic prioritization as far as I know (I think class EF) 

No I don’t have switches but I could enable QoS packet scheduler on my PC which tags it’s packets with DSCP and enabling the DSCP function in the netduma. 

So I will have DSCP tags at both the router level and device level.

Should I be worried about addition latency when it comes to this?

57 minutes ago, CRarsenxL said:

No I don’t have switches but I could enable QoS packet scheduler on my PC which tags it’s packets with DSCP and enabling the DSCP function in the netduma. 

So I will have DSCP tags at both the router level and device level.

Should I be worried about addition latency when it comes to this?

@Bertif I wanted to give my pc the highest DSCP value, would I need to edit the registry?

netduma probably uses (EF) but the computer might use a different DSCP value that’s slower

how can I ensure it get that EF? Disbale it at computer level and rely on the router?

it should not really matter in reality since if the tag is wrong, the router simply retags it.

I just tag UDP traffic as that is the traffic going to the game server so that's what we are interested in, other traffic to backend servers etc doesn't need tagging.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

it should not really matter in reality since if the tag is wrong, the router simply retags it.

I just tag UDP traffic as that is the traffic going to the game server so that's what we are interested in, other traffic to backend servers etc doesn't need tagging.

For good measure I’m going to tag all the packets. Any harm in that?

And must QoS packet scheduler(w that Dscp46 modification) and packet priority&VLANtagging be on, for this entire thing to work properly?

Doesn't do any harm to tag it all since bandwidth usage is so low.

VLAN tagging only needs to be on if you use actual VLAN tags. Most people don't. Then setting it to only priority should be enough.

There should be no additional latency involved, not measurable anyway.

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

Doesn't do any harm to tag it all since bandwidth usage is so low.

VLAN tagging only needs to be on if you use actual VLAN tags. Most people don't. Then setting it to only priority should be enough.

There should be no additional latency involved, not measurable anyway.

Got it !! so to recap, disable everything there except IPv4, QoS Policy scheduler (which enables our DSCP46 function right?) and Packet priority which is used how? (Is this a basic QoS method used by ISPs? Cus I did see it being supported in my vzrouter attached pic above) does netduma support that?

should I disable the limit reservable function within QoS packet scheduler? It’s like something to do w 20% reserved bandwidth or something. 

Thanks,Bert! Anytning I’m missing? 

The thing is Bert, my ISP router does this automatically I believe. In the image above, it support DSCP and packet priority method.

Netduma on the other hand, I’m only aware of the DSCP via apply to wan… not the packet priority function. Not sure about that one

It depends on your usecase. I have IPv4, IPv6 and a lot of other options on.

You can actually test this pretty easily to see if it's working.

You can play a game and run wireshark at the same time, it should display DSCP tags on outgoing packets. You might have to rename wireshark as it crashes games usually. It would also confirm propagation of the tags going to LAN.

I think DumaOS might strip the tags and apply their own but I am not sure of this (since you could otherwise override their traffic prio setting, but a dev would have to confirm this)

25 minutes ago, Bert said:

You can play a game and run wireshark at the same time, it should display DSCP tags on outgoing packets. You might have to rename wireshark as it crashes games usually. It would also confirm propagation of the tags going to LAN.

I think DumaOS might strip the tags and apply their own but I am not sure of this (since you could otherwise override their traffic prio setting, but a dev would have to confirm this)

Say DumaOS, or my ISP router didn’t respect and put its own DSCP tag on it that isn’t EF or 46 ; how can I prevent that or check on then? IG we’d need confirmation from netduma about that.

but I know the IQ router respects DSCP tags : see attached 

also for editing the group policy, I did some more digging, it requires fully taking off QoS to be able to actually use the policy.

see here : let me know if this is correct or incorrect https://www.voiceelements.com/docs/programmable-voice/how-do-i/setup-qos-settings-in-windows/

66491919-9251-4BB1-9F5B-CAAC0A1CE90C.png

@fraser can you 

29 minutes ago, Bert said:

@fraser and @Netduma Admin , can you confirm if netduma apply to wan setting or traffic prio in general will write its own DSCP tag ? Or will it respect the DSCP we tagged on the packet within our pc?