Congestion Control Not Working Correctly for warzone

DFAN

I am having large ping spikes and variation on warzone using congestion control it seems to work better when set to never unless my family is using a lot of banwith with is not usually the case.  This used to work very well?  what is going on?

congestion control.png

• Administrators

Where are you seeing the spikes and variation, on the Geo-Filter ping panel or in the game? What is your average ping through the Geo-Filter and shown in game? How much is it spiking? Could you provide a full screenshot of the QoS page please? What is the modem/router the XR is connected to?

• Administrators

Couple of things, you're severely throttling the bandwidth, it would be better set to a higher value between 50-80% most likely. You've got a lot of devices there but quite a few unnamed devices, I suspect they're not all online/connected, go to the Device Manager click the :menu icon and delete offline devices. For Traffic Prioritization how is the PC connected, via ethernet or WiFi? If WiFi you've got the right setting, if ethernet change it to Normal instead of Gaming/Voice. Whichever one you need to select I'd suggest ticking Apply to WAN as well as that may give you an extra benefit.

I tried these settings and the lag is worse when I have it turned on.  This should be the opposite.  I have owned this for some time and it used to work perfectly for the packet prioritization.

all devices are connected to the XR,  the modem is a POE - https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-and-ltu/products/gbe  i believe this is it.

It is worse because when i have (traffic prioritization) off it doesn't lag then I turn on traffic priority and the ping spikes get worse.  I also notice sometimes that the usage goes higher than the set throttle.

I am using both traffic control and traffic prioritization.

• Administrators

Thanks for that, so your internet comes to your house wireless is that correct? Have you got the WiFi disabled on that unit? Does it have QoS on it? Have you put the router in its DMZ if applicable? If not does it have port forwarding, modem/bridge mode etc?

What Traffic Controls are you using exactly - can you provide a screenshot please? 

Yes my internet comes to my house wireless.  I have no access to any of the controls on their end (ISP).  There is not Wi-Fi or settings available the is just an access point.  What is the DMZ?   What specific setting are you looking for?

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, DFAN said:

Yes my internet comes to my house wireless.  I have no access to any of the controls on their end (ISP).  There is not Wi-Fi or settings available the is just an access point.  What is the DMZ?   What specific setting are you looking for?

You should have access to it based on the manual here: https://dl.ui.com/qsg/GBE/GBE_EN.html unless I've misunderstood.

You didn't select the Apply to WAN option for Traffic Prioritization, you should try that as it may give more of an improvement. Ah you meant Congestion Control, I thought you were referring to Traffic Controller. I would recommend you follow this guide while saturating your connection with downloads/streams and trying different percentages to see what lowers the ping the most, then you'll know what will give you the most benefit.

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Okay so when you initially set up the XR500 you didn't have to enter anything in specifically to get an internet connection, just completed the setup wizard and that was it - didn't ask for an internet login (PPPoE) or anything like that?

On 1/3/2022 at 12:38 AM, DFAN said:

no I just used the wizard the traffic prioritization has worked in the past many times but sometimes it doesn't i am not sure why

When the VR Quest is active, are any rules in traffic prioritisation detecting traffic?