How would I achieve this multi-router configuration setup

Would I be able to have my playstation connected to the modem or another router completely unaffected by qos or geofilter, and then have a separate router (the duma) to have qos enabled and to control the rest of the devices and connect to the duma with qos on? To clarify, I don't want my playstation to have 90% of the bandwidth or 99%, I want it completely out of the qos buffer on either the basic modem or a completely different router not the duma. Do I have to configure the duma as an access point or how would I achieve this? I don't want qos on it what so ever, and I want a separate router to have qos enabled and with all the other devices on it that isn't the playstation. I am aware I won't be able to use the geofilter on the playstation most likely. I am okay with this at this moment.

• Administrators

You can only connect one device or router to the modem at once so you'd either have to do something like modem > router > R2 so the PS is connected to the other router and completely unaffected by the R2. If you do that you'll need to turn off the QoS on the other router as well. 

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can only connect one device or router to the modem at once so you'd either have to do something like modem > router > R2 so the PS is connected to the other router and completely unaffected by the R2. If you do that you'll need to turn off the QoS on the other router as well. 

Got it, so which do I set as an access point? The other router or the R2?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

In this scenario neither, the R2 also doesn't have AP mode, it should work just fine though. PS will get an Open NAT as well.

I have did some research and it is only possible to apply qos to the router that has the wan port connected to it, and not a lan. I am scratching my head at how my configuration would be possible. It seems if I want to have my system on a router or modem without qos wired and the rest of the household devices on a separate router I would have to have 2 wans plugged into each. Would I need to buy another service or could I have like a wan splitter? How would I go about doing this. I have attempted to put my system on the modem no qos wired straight in from the modem, and then have the netduma as the access point connected lan wise and the qos was not working at all.  Is this normal? Edit: Figured it out, the modem/router connected by wan must be the one applying qos. Unless you know a way to completely bypass the modem, you will need a 2nd router, you can't make do with just one. Modem> connected via wan QOS router> connected via lan (Non-QOS router, the qos won't even work if you tried as it is connected via lan) is how I would get it setup. 

• Administrators

In the scenario you mentioned, the 'non QoS router' WAN port is connected to the 'QoS' router LAN port and can still use QoS, unless you disable it specifically.

If you truly want the console completely unaffected by QoS then it has to be modem > (WAN port) disabled QoS router (console connected) (LAN port) > (WAN port) QoS router (all other devices) , otherwise in your scenario the non QoS router is still affected by the QoS router above it.

Alright I am trying to understand what you said, so I made an image so you can see if it is correct. I am wondering if I would be able to completely cut out the secondary router, and have just the playstation connected to the modem unaffected by qos and then the rest of the devices connected to the qos-ed router. Anyways, I attached 2 images, one for the 2 router example and 1 for the modem qos router example. Thanks for the help Frasier!

example.png

example2.jpg

• Administrators

In both examples, the ADSL port on the modem there connects to the cable coming from the wall, that is how the modem receives internet, it would then be one of the ethernet ports on the modem that connects to the other devices. What is your modem model exactly? Then I can give you specific advice.

• Administrators

It really depends on the modem model, if that picture there is your modem model then I highly suspect it is a modem/router combo, in which case yes you could do it that way if you disable QoS on the modem. If it is a pure modem, i.e. no WiFi then no it would have to be like the first picture with using the two routers.

Got it working perfectly frasier!! Thank you so much. I probably bothered you enough but lets say I wanted to use just the geofilter of the netduma, how would I go about this? If you can give me an example ie. Modem lan to ps5, modem lan to wan netduma no qos with geofilter enabled, lan to wan qos router. How would I let the netduma geofilter affect the devices in this case? Or at least the modem?

11 hours ago, DumaGuy2021 said:

Thanks so much for helping me understand. So to clarify, if I want to use the geofilter, I can't use my modem with the ps5 as it needs to be connected to the device? Seems pretty straight forward if so. Cheers.

Yeah, the device you'd like to Geo-filter needs to be connected to the R2. :)