Does length of Ethernet cable effect ping?

mukey

So I'm in the UK, and bought my own Virgin broadband and only my PS4 is connected to it. I am hard wired in with ethernet. I'm still confused how some of my mates I play with get 30-40 ping, I have done everything I can think of. The only thing I can think is that my ethernet is too long? I'm in the attic three stories up so needed a long one, me being shit at maths and measurements bought a 100m cat7 ethernet cable and there's lots of excess cable. Could this be effecting my ping?

No it should not.

But 100m is maximum that is allowed under the Ethernet standard.

If your cable is a proper Cat.7 ethernet cable, it should be no issue. Altough the cables meant for long runs typically have thicker wires than patch cables. Ie on my system the Cat.7 in wall cable is 23AWG while patch cables are generally 28-32AWG. So that does give more resistance. Still a Cat.7 cable can do 10Gbit over 100m, in your case 1Gbit over 100m should be easy.

If you are using a Virgin Superhub 3, they are notorious for jitter and problems with small packet traffic.

7 hours ago, Bert said:

No it should not.

But 100m is maximum that is allowed under the Ethernet standard.

If your cable is a proper Cat.7 ethernet cable, it should be no issue. Altough the cables meant for long runs typically have thicker wires than patch cables. Ie on my system the Cat.7 in wall cable is 23AWG while patch cables are generally 28-32AWG. So that does give more resistance. Still a Cat.7 cable can do 10Gbit over 100m, in your case 1Gbit over 100m should be easy.

If you are using a Virgin Superhub 3, they are notorious for jitter and problems with small packet traffic.

thanks mate for the detailed reply. Regarding the superhub 3, there’s nothing I can do right? I have to keep it? I have the netduma R2 plugged into it in Modem mode but if I can get rid of the hub 3 by anyway please let me know. 

It's easy to check.

If your PC is plugged on that cable going to the attic, ping the router.

Open command prompt and type: ping 192.168.77.1 -t

That should show you if your cable is good.

1 hour ago, mukey said:

thanks mate for the detailed reply. Regarding the superhub 3, there’s nothing I can do right? I have to keep it? I have the netduma R2 plugged into it in Modem mode but if I can get rid of the hub 3 by anyway please let me know. 

You'll need to keep the VM hub there as the R2 doesn't have any modem functionality.

One thing also worth noting is that you may find better results if you take the VM hub out of modem mode and put the R2 in it's DMZ instead. After that, disable Wi-Fi on the VM Hub and reserve the current IP for the R2, that way it won't change in future and you won't need to re-DMZ it. 

Modem mode on the VM hubs can be a little unreliable so its worth experimenting with the above.