Nighthawk XR1000

Hello, I just bought the XR1000 primarily to stabilize the connection with my Xbox Series X. After installing it today, I realize that the benchmark speed test on the router came up as: Download 800 Mbps and Upload 850 Mbps (approx.). However, when I ran the same test on the console, I cant get more than 300Mbps in either direction and it fluctuates a bit as well (drops to 165 etc.).

One of the deciding factors to go with this router was the Geo-filtering; however now that I have it and I am reading about it online, apparently the Geo-filtering doesn't work properly or work all the time. 

Lastly, in the drop down list of games, I realize there isn't much to choose from, I specifically have a ping issue with NBA 2K22, but its not in the list. Is there a way to achieve best results for this game even though its not in the list?

Message 1 of 1

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I just responded to you on the Netgear forum but let's continue here: Console speed tests are not always accurate, if you're getting your speeds through a PC speedtest that's the most important. If the console needs all your speeds it will be able to take it.

What do you mean the Geo-Filter isn't working properly? When you add the console to the Geo-Filter you don't need to do anything specifically for the game - ignore the profiles completely, setup the radius etc as usually recommended and it should work.

I understand that console speed tests are not necessarily accurate, but when I was using the ISP provided router (Verizon), the console download test is always above 850 Mbps. Now that I am using the Nighthawk I didn't expect it to be hovering at 300 Mbps.

Ping of course is the main reason for changing to a gaming router. I like your preset games in the list and the ability to ping test the servers, is there any way for this list to be expanded? Fifa 22, 2k22, and MK11 gives me the most ping problems. 

Ultimately, my goal is to achieve the lowest possible pings and all the games I play, thats really it. Is there anyway to get the ip addresses for games you don't have in the preset list?

18 minutes ago, Kmak_Mak said:

I understand that console speed tests are not necessarily accurate, but when I was using the ISP provided router (Verizon), the console download test is always above 850 Mbps. Now that I am using the Nighthawk I didn't expect it to be hovering at 300 Mbps.

Ping of course is the main reason for changing to a gaming router. I like your preset games in the list and the ability to ping test the servers, is there any way for this list to be expanded? Fifa 22, 2k22, and MK11 gives me the most ping problems. 

Ultimately, my goal is to achieve the lowest possible pings and all the games I play, thats really it. Is there anyway to get the ip addresses for games you don't have in the preset list?

What speeds are you getting through a PC speedtest that's connected directly to the XR1000? We can look into why the console is reporting lower speeds then.

We do have an internal list of games that people have requested to have added and NBA is on there, it's just a case of us being able to capture the server information for it. 

In the mean time, I'd suggest selecting the 'Choose manually' option when you're adding your device to Geo-filter, instead of selecting a specific game. You may find you're able to filter even though the game isn't technically supported.

I bought this router last night, fair enough I haven't had the proper time to go through all the settings, but in my initial speed tests with my Playstation 5 I had the exact same problem that OP had. When I connected to the spectrum router I always get 800x plus but now with this router I get 150 tops, which is so strange. I would love to know what's the fix for this. 

So, I got home, disabled Qos and ran some speed test, I'm still having the same issue. In the DumaOS it marks that I can reach 871 Mbps but I get a D grade in internet. In the speedtest website my internet is way less than what I had with the Spectrum router. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 8.13.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 8.14.46 PM.png