Bandwidth Requirements?

Unfinished

Is there a definitive answer to how much bandwidth is required for online gaming?

This might have been answered elsewhere, but there seems to be general lack of info for the exact bandwidth requirements. In general, I play shooters, but specifically Apex Legends and Warzone.

The best I can get is 14 x 3 and that's without the QoS activated.

Gaming for me, is a hit and miss affair, mainly miss though and I'm wondering if the issue is perhaps a bottleneck in my upload speed. Not that it matters much, as there is not much prospect of an upgrade any time soon.

• Administrators

We made a video on this very subject 

It's a bit old now so newer games might use a bit more but generally you really don't need a lot. You have plenty, a game shouldn't be using anymore than 1Mbps and usually a lot less, so you have plenty. What's the issue you're having exactly?

"What's the issue you're having exactly?"

Of course, the usual response when trying to find an answer is "get gud", but that isn't of much help. In general I suffer from slow gameplay, stuttering frames, poor hit detection and usually me being eliminated before I know what's going on.

I can almost never come out on top on a one v one, even if I get the drop on someone, that has to be a connection issue.

I tested my Xbox network speeds today and am getting 175ms ping with as low as .6 Mbps upload, although usually closer to 1. I can usually get a Warzone server below 50ms, but it is variable. It's not an R2 issue, that's for sure.

Those figures I quoted are for a household of five and with three Xboxes though, so what might seem adequate, is in all probability, just scraping by at best.

To add to that, on some occasions, it's like the game has been turbo charged and I can then enjoy gaming again, albeit briefly.

The thing is, I imagine that my "turbo charge" mode is just what most people experience as their usual service anyway.

Edit: Having done a bit more digging, the recommended "minimum" is 0.5 to 1Mbps and so I am often at that level, which would explain the issues I see.

• Administrators

50ms is that what the Geo-Filter shows or in game? You should aim for an in game ping no higher than 30ms above what the Geo-Filter says. If it's higher then it indicates the server is under load and you may have a better experience forcing another - even if its a slightly higher ping as shown by the Geo-Filter. What are your Connection Benchmark test results?

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

50ms is that what the Geo-Filter shows or in game? You should aim for an in game ping no higher than 30ms above what the Geo-Filter says. If it's higher then it indicates the server is under load and you may have a better experience forcing another - even if its a slightly higher ping as shown by the Geo-Filter. What are your Connection Benchmark test results?

As I cannot accesss the UI any more, I wouldn't be able to tell. The pings noted are shown by the game searching for a lobby to join. Interestingly, the latency for the Xbox network speed test comes back with 160ms to the nearest MS server, which seems very high.

We're all isolating at home at the moment, so taking the internet offline won't be a good idea, but I'll try to do some more testing later.

Xbox networks arent all that great sometimes. But yeah bandwidth isnt everything it also depends on what kind of route youre using with your ISP, what kind of delivery method you have.. if you have fiber directly running into your house yes that will make a difference compared to just fiber to the pole. Read this and youll have a better idea. Fiber to the x - Wikipedia

• Administrators
On 10/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, Unfinished said:

As I cannot accesss the UI any more, I wouldn't be able to tell. The pings noted are shown by the game searching for a lobby to join. Interestingly, the latency for the Xbox network speed test comes back with 160ms to the nearest MS server, which seems very high.

We're all isolating at home at the moment, so taking the internet offline won't be a good idea, but I'll try to do some more testing later.

The ping shown in the network settings may not be to the nearest one and is unlikely to be with a ping that high, it shouldn't matter though as it won't affect your game ping. Ah, is that why you've not reset the router to get access? Hope you and yours are doing okay!